Oceania's Action Plan for Coronavirus

HokiePoq

IRR: why don't you make arrangements to debark your cruise in Hanoi. The last day of your cruise is at sea so you will not miss much. Change your return flight to the US from Hanoi instead of Hong Kong. Spend a few days in Hanoi, it's a great city and as long as you haven't been in China 14 days prior or are a Chines national the Vietnamese will welcome you. Since very few Chinese are traveling now, this is a great time to be in the places they like to go too.Vietnam is a fabulous country to visit and the people will be very happy to have some tourists there after all the cancellations from Chinese.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, irr said:

Those on this cruise who do not want to go are unable to cancel. If we cancel , if there is any change in policy we forfeit our right to ask for a refund if the cancellation policy changes after we cancel. That is the current Oceania policy. We are stuck currently unable to do anything.

With all due respect to the CDC there are political reasons as well as medical reasons that policy is made. I ran a section of a government web site for a number of years and I can tell you the pace of being able to make changes can be slower than desired  when things change this rapidly. Even the CDC has disclaimers that their information is evolving. In addition, there is a difference between policy decisions which the CDC has to make and sound medical practice. This does not mean that the CDC isn't doing a great job in a crisis it just means that there are things that are helpful to get from the CDC and other things that require more updated information from all sources.

Every health care professional that I have talked to would not advise people to go to Hong Kong relative to the high list of unknowns relative to flights, care if you get sick, abrupt cancellations of flights to come home, abrupt shutting down of cruise ports, resources in Hong Kong already stretched, possibility of quarantine  etc etc etc as well as the risk of illness. 

Currently there are many airlines and cruise lines who have cancelled service to Hong Kong or offered full refunds to anyone who wants to cancel. There are a growing number of countries banning those who have been in Hong Kong. The 2 cruise ships currently under quarantine are related to travelers from Hong Kong. Reading accounts of the ship quarantined off the cost of Japan sounds like a never ending saga because every new case resets the clock and people are confined to their rooms. We still don't know what will happen to the cruise ship quarantined in Hong Kong itself. 

At some point, in my opinion the cruise industry needs to have some respect for what is best for the public health in the middle of an evolving global crisis requiring everyone to cooperate and the main source of prevention is avoiding contact with sick people. We have now heard that there was probable maternal to infant infection in a newborn that died the day after birth. Is Oceania going to ask people who have pregnant family members to go on this trip when we still don't know how to screen for infection in asymptomatic but contagious people. We are currently looking at a total of 2 Oceania trips impacted in March. At what point does  cancelling 2 trips make much more sense from a personal and public health stand point. And by the way no one knows what needs to be done to properly disinfect a ship once the disease is present. 

You have made your point and please move on -- you are doing this into trying embarrass Oceania into cancelling the cruises.

In the end Oceania may have no choice.

I am no fan of Oceania and my next Oceania cruise in May will be my last. 

You are correct that they have handled this quite poorly.  They handle many such cancellations, missed ports, and fires in such a manner.  The only thing that matters is the bottom line.

But theses posts are now more like a rant.

• Like 3

This  is  a very bad situation for cruise lines & pax alike

I see Crystal had to cancel  a cruise  embarking in Manila  as the ship is not allowed  to dock there now

The cruise lines may have to just make the decision to move the ships out of Asia but at this point they are trying to do the best they can under the circumstances

I feel sorry for those  booked  or on a ship heading to theses ports

Hope everyone stays healthy onboard

We were on a cruise near the end of  the SARS outbreak  & DH got sick day 2  it was a very bad bug  & thank goodness he got better  but they were about to disembark us in Norway if he  did not show signs of improvement

I will stop posting as you request. I have other things to do. However you are incorrect about a number of things that need to be corrected before I go silent. 

1. This is meant to educate people about what is going on when Oceania is not giving everyone complete information and there is no one site that can give everyone who needs to make a decision the factors that they need to think about from a medical and logistics perspective. This evolving with each of my posts having new information 

Oceania is going to do what oceania is going to do. It is unlikely that my posts will impact them. they have not answered my emails with the same information. I also have a great deal of public health concern about what is happening. 

2. Most of my most recent posts are in response to questions being asked of me. 

Flatbush I will no longer be posting on this blog. No further questions of yours will be answered. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, irr said:

I will stop posting as you request. I have other things to do. However you are incorrect about a number of things that need to be corrected before I go silent. 

I for one have appreciated your insight & thoughts on this situation as a health care professional.

I too would be very nervous if my upcoming cruise was scheduled for Asia in general, let alone Hong Kong.

Hopefully your concerns with Oceania's policy regarding your cruise are resolved for you in an acceptable manner.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bbqoug said:

I for one have appreciated your insight & thoughts on this situation as a health care professional.

I too would be very nervous if my upcoming cruise was scheduled for Asia in general, let alone Hong Kong.

Hopefully your concerns with Oceania's policy regarding your cruise are resolved for you in an acceptable manner.

Ditto. My health and life are much more important than a cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dog said:

By the time your cruise comes around it may be cancelled or more ports changed. Holland America Westerdam is not allowed to disembark in Japan. Other ports are banning cruiseships in that area now.

Where do you got this information from??? We have friends on the Westerdam on Feb. 29 leaving from Yokohama. They had 2 more changes in their itinerary but they are still scheduled to sail. This is the latest news from 3 hours ago - we keep each other updated.

Can we please stick to facts in this roll call?

The situation is difficult enough so no need to create more insecurity, especially by people who are NOT scheduled to sail on March 4 or March 18.

Please!

Not a magic bullet (by any measure) but certainly good news for anyone with Hong Kong as a necessary piece of their travel plans:

Per CNN:

• Hong Kong restrictions: All people entering Hong Kong from mainland China will be placed under quarantine for 14 days, HK Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced Wednesday.

1 hour ago, manuwolf said:

Where do you got this information from??? We have friends on the Westerdam on Feb. 29 leaving from Yokohama. They had 2 more changes in their itinerary but they are still scheduled to sail. This is the latest news from 3 hours ago - we keep each other updated.

The situation is difficult enough so no need to create more insecurity, especially by people who are NOT scheduled to sail on March 4 or March 18.

Please!

Here's where I saw that the Westerdam is currently being denied docking in Japan on Feb 15 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article240040568.html

I'm not sure if this answers your question.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, manuwolf said:

Please!

Statement on Holland America website:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/ships/ms-westerdam/statement-regarding-westerdam-in-japan/?source=122648

Holland America Line has been notified that the Japanese Government will not permit Westerdam to call in Japanese ports. The ship had been scheduled to call to Ishigaki Island, Naha, Okinawa, Nagasaki and Fukuoka (Hakata), before its scheduled turn in Yokohama on Feb. 15, where the next cruise was scheduled to embark. The ship is not in quarantine and there are no known cases of coronavirus on board.

(Above excerpt is only the opening statement - more detail at the link posted.) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, manuwolf said:

Please!

MW..u are amazing.

Edited by Nuka
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2020 at 8:13 PM, clo said:

Thanks for this. Has anyone heard what other cruise lines are doing?

Chrystal will use Singapore as the base for its cruises for Symphony instead of Hong Kong.  

Those who sail the new routes will get a 50% credit on a future cruise.  Those that cancel will get a 100% credit on a future cruise. 

The latest essentially ally says no more Hong Kong.  

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/coronavirus-statement

Edited by PaulMCO

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Chrystal will use Singapore as the base for its cruises for Symphony instead of Hong Kong.  

Those who sail the new routes will get a 50% credit on a future cruise.  Those that cancel will get a 100% credit on a future cruise. 

Thanks for sharing this! After carefully studying the OC statement I could not find any indication to your remarks "Those who sail the new routes will get a 50% credit on a future cruise.  Those that cancel will get a 100% credit on a future cruise.". Is this an information you got from your TA? I think this would relieve a lot of people! 😉

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Thanks for sharing this! After carefully studying the OC statement I could not find any indication to your remarks "Those who sail the new routes will get a 50% credit on a future cruise.  Those that cancel will get a 100% credit on a future cruise.". Is this an information you got from your TA? I think this would relieve a lot of people! 😉

20 hours ago, irr said:

There's no point in fighting the cheerleaders or the corp accounts.

I have appreciated your posts.

• Like 3

Paul said Crystal cruises   is offering the deal

he posted the wrong link though

https://www.crystalcruises.com/coronavirus-update

Just got this from my TA a little while ago.:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION FOR GUESTS
TRAVELING WITH OCEANIA CRUISES

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We wish to bring you an important update on our upcoming sailings to Asia that have been affected by the recent travel restrictions impacting mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macau.

Nautica – March 4, 2020
Nautica – March 18, 2020
Nautica – April 13, 2020
Insignia – May 9, 2020
Insignia – May 24, 2020

At this time, itinerary revisions are currently underway but are taking longer than anticipated due to additional travel restrictions and port closures around the region. Our port operations team is working to secure ports and berthing arrangements as quickly as possible. As soon as we have revised itineraries confirmed, we will communicate them to you along with very attractive goodwill compensation.

I would also like to present you with the most up to date restrictions that all guests need to be aware of.
Policies currently in place include:
·         Guests who have traveled from, visited, or transited through airports in China, including Hong Kong and Macau, within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality, will not be allowed to board any of our vessels. The standard incubation period recognized by the World Health Organization and United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for this virus is 14 days.
·         Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund when they provide proof of travel.

·         For all guests, we will continue standard pre-boarding health reporting and evaluation. Any guests who appear symptomatic are subject to pre-boarding medical evaluations including but not limited to, temperature checks as deemed necessary.

·         Any guest who exhibits symptoms of any respiratory illness while on board will be subject to additional screening at our onboard Medical Center and may be subject to potential quarantine and disembarkation.

·         We have implemented additional cleaning and disinfection protocols on board all voyages. These protocols will be enforced in addition to our already rigorous sanitization standards in place.

·         Our crew members who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, including Hong Kong and Macau within 30 days will not be allowed on board our ships.

·         Singapore and the Philippines are not currently allowing Chinese nationals to disembark at their ports. Guests with a Chinese passport who are traveling on voyages that disembark in one of these regions will not be allowed on board our ships. If additional port restrictions are put into place, we may have to modify this policy as needed.
·         Guests who are denied boarding due to this will be issued a refund.

The above measures will remain in effect until further notice and are subject to change at any time as we evaluate the situation and continue to consult with local health authorities, as well as the World Health Organization at www.WHO.int and United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.CDC.gov.  

On behalf of the entire team at Oceania Cruises, I thank you for your understanding and patience with this fluid and rapidly evolving situation.

We look forward to sharing revised itinerary details with you shortly.

Warmest regards,

Carlos Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services
Oceania Cruises

Please note this email does not accept replies.
This email was sent by: Oceania Cruises
7665 Corporate Center Drive. Miami, FL, 33126. USA

The info was from Crystal only as the question was what are other cruise lines doing??

https://www.crystalcruises.com/coronavirus-update

The link for Oceania was meant to provide the latest on the Ocean web site.  There is a link at the bottom of their home page for the latest info. 

Edited by PaulMCO

How is it going to work for people scheduled on Nautica March 4-18 when they arrive in Hong Kong? If O is not allowing anyone who passed through Hong Kong airport to board the ship, then how will the Nautica passengers scheduled for March 18 departure from HK get on the ship? I assume 99% of them will have flown into HKI for their cruise.

I am so glad I am cruising in Europe this summer.

Flatbush, does this mean you will be denied boarding on your upcoming cruise? I believe you mentioned you transited through Hong Kong airport. I'm not going back through the whole thread to figure it out. 

I was 50/50 on taking the March 18th cruise. So glad I didn't now. 

I find the corporate attitude of Oceania truly appalling towards its passengers. I understand that logistics take a tremendous amount of time to work out however I believe in this instance full refunds should be given to those who don't want to travel to Asia at this time given the risk to life. When you hear that Crystal is giving people the option of cancelling with a full credit why can't Oceania do the same? We have been long time cruisers with Oceania with close to 10 cruises and I am seriously rethinking my loyalty.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ORV said:

Flatbush, does this mean you will be denied boarding on your upcoming cruise? I believe you mentioned you transited through Hong Kong airport. I'm not going back through the whole thread to figure it out. 

I was 50/50 on taking the March 18th cruise. So glad I didn't now. 

We're OK. We'll finish the current cruise in Singapore on March 4 and immediately flying home on Cathay Pacific to SFO via Hong Kong. Since that's Cathay's home port and SFO is one of the only US airports set up to receive folks flying in from East Asia, we don't expect any surprises, particularly since HK is now requiring 14 day quarantines for folks coming from mainland China.

Our next cruise starts in early May - Singapore to Tokyo (arrive June) - satisfying the 30 day rule. Flying on Philippine Air through Manila both ways. With no China stops due to recent changes, we're not worried about going home through Manila.

I wish I could say that I planned it this way to avoid the possibility of Coronavirus. But my plans were set months ago.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer