Oceania's Action Plan for Coronavirus

HokiePoq

12 minutes ago, clo said:

So are you someone here who gets to make rules? Just curious. One never knows.

REREAD THE POST:  "SUGGESTING" 

And, thank you  for responding with a perfect example of just the kind of gibberish that is wasting the time of those of us who are actually affected by this situation. What we don't need right now are "curious" onlookers.

Now, back to useful info: Here's a relatively recent summary of airline actions-

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-airlines-factbox/airlines-suspend-china-flights-because-of-coronavirus-idUSKBN1ZU131

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And, thank you  for responding with a perfect example of just the kind of gibberish that is wasting the time of those of us who are actually affected by this situation. What we don't need right n/ow are "curious" onlookers.

I made this comment:

"We're not affected by this but I totally understand the frustration. The airlines seem to be WAY more accommodating than Oceania. (I only mention O cause I don't know what other lines are doing.)"

I have an insane amount of medical background, including working in a lab at CDC. Plus we're booked on an O cruise later this year. Have you mentioned how you "are actually affected by this situation"? Perhaps/probably you did.

26 minutes ago, clo said:

.... "are actually affected by this situation"? 

•  

if you are paying attention to the thread, you'd know that some of us have just gone through Hong Kong (plane/ship) and are in/headed for affected areas. We'll join Nautica here in Cape Town on February 3, headed for affected areas like Sri Lanka and then finishing in Singapore in early March with flight home via Hong Kong.

AGAIN- this is a real concern for those of us who are not offering/desirous of unsolicited  commentary about anyone's "insane amount" of knowledge (which would require, e.g., MD in Infectious Diseases; Ph.D. In Epidemiology, etc) or cruising to unspecified locations later this year for which final payment has not been made. 

PLEASE stop tying up the thread.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And, thank you  for responding with a perfect example of just the kind of gibberish that is wasting the time of those of us who are actually affected by this situation. What we don't need right now are "curious" onlookers.

Now, back to useful info: Here's a relatively recent summary of airline actions-

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-airlines-factbox/airlines-suspend-china-flights-because-of-coronavirus-idUSKBN1ZU131

I agree that Flatbush was suggesting common sense approaches.  He wasn't ordering anybody to do anything.

I am not personally involved so I'll back out now!

this situation is so fluid at the moment with new developments every few hours, all cruise lines and airlines are having to make decisions all the time about people with chinese passports, chinese crew, transits through china, differences between different ports and region, IMO people can not say whether Oceania is handling it better or worse than any other cruiseline. I suspect they are all scrambling like crazy.....

27 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

PLEASE stop tying up the thread.

No thanks. 

And realize that people who aren't directly/immediately affected can share FACTS.  Not into think/feel/believe but FACTS.

Edited by clo

31 minutes ago, Mura said:

I agree that Flatbush was suggesting common sense approaches.  He wasn't ordering anybody to do anything.

I am not personally involved so I'll back out now!

He wrote

"PLEASE stop tying up the thread."

A problem going forward.  Who knows what to do with a booked cruise four or 5 months in advance.  How far will this spread?  Kinda of scary being in the dark. Sit and wait or cancel now when we can get our money back? 

1 hour ago, Caymus88 said:

I am on the Riviera now    They are implementing noro virus protocol

Some people are sick but I don’t know what they have.  

The Regatta sails Feb 3 from Sydney. Somebody just posted the Oceania letter about implementing procedures for gastrointestinal illness on board. They are delaying boarding times.  

1 hour ago, RJB said:

A problem going forward.  Who knows what to do with a booked cruise four or 5 months in advance.  How far will this spread?  Kinda of scary being in the dark. Sit and wait or cancel now when we can get our money back? 

if you are stressed about it  cancel now while you can get  a refund

JMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs f. said:

The Regatta sails Feb 3 from Sydney. Somebody just posted the Oceania letter about implementing procedures for gastrointestinal illness on board. They are delaying boarding times.  

maybe they are just  taking  precautions  with  the virus spreading to other Countries

seems like  all ships in the fleet got the  letter 

JMO

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

maybe they are just  taking  precautions  with  the virus spreading to other Countries

seems like  all ships in the fleet got the  letter 

JMO

I don't know how to post  it...take a look at the Regatta Feb 3 roll call. Letter said "We want to inform you that during the previous voyage, some of our guests exhibited symptoms  of gastroenteritis".   So this sounds more norovirus than coronavirus.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mrs f. said:

I don't know how to post  it...take a look at the Regatta Feb 3 roll call. Letter said "We want to inform you that during the previous voyage, some of our guests exhibited symptoms  of gastroenteritis".   So this sounds more norovirus than coronavirus.

this is the post:

Delayed Embarkation Advisory

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors:

We want to inform you that during the previous voyage, some of our guests exhibited symptoms of gastroenteritis. In addition to our standard practice of emphasizing proper hand washing hygiene and maintaining a clean environment throughout the ship, the vessel immediately implemented an enhanced sanitation protocol to safeguard the well-being of our guests and crew. As an added precaution, the vessel will undergo an enhanced sanitation protocol prior to your embarkation in Sydney, Australia. 

Due to this extensive process, we anticipate that embarkation for all boarding guests will commence as follows:

Owner, Vista and Penthouse Suites        1:00PM

Concierge Level                                           2:00PM

All other categories (B-G)                          3:00PM

We thank you for your understanding and patience with this necessary extra precaution.we 

4 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

yes I agree

There were a couple of other letters posted here  about the limited self serve etc..

on a couple of the other ships

Better to be safe 

On 2/1/2020 at 5:06 AM, irr said:

The  problem here is that Oceania will not refund any money or even give a credit for a future cruise, claiming that Hong Kong is not China and therefore is not a problem. In my opinion the problem in Hong Kong is worsening and will continue to worsen. It is geographically part of China with an open border (even if there are some political differences with the main land) and now the major way that Chinese can get in an out of China. In addition, each day more and more flights to and from Hong Kong are being cancelled and you can arrive there after a 2 week cruise to find your flight cancelled without a place to stay. In addition, even for people without Coronavirus many people who live in Hong Kong with any respiratory infection will want to be checked. Checking for coronavirus includes the health care professional be fully garbed with gown, mask, gloves etc. it is fairly time consuming and personnel intensive further stretching resources.  If you need health care for any reason the health care system there is being severely stretched. 

I think that it is irresponsible to passengers, crew, and the unified public health efforts to stem the tide of this virus to not allow some alternatives to passengers. Currently in just a month there are more cases of Coronavirus than there were of SARS for the entire epidemic. While the lethality is less than SARS (3-5%) it remains significant  if you get ill and will probably surpass SARS in numbers by the time this is over.We also don't know if there are any long term sequelae I also think the fact that it is contagious in asymptomatic people is a game changer. There are many very nice cruise lines. I will not travel on Oceania in the future if they do not resolve this issue. I understand that this is an evolving issue and Oceania is now part of a large cruise line system and decisions are more difficult to make. Therefore, I will give them the benefit of the doubt if they change their policy but will be adamant about making sure to let others know about our experience if they don't. 

I'm scheduled to be on the Nautica on March 4th.  I am hoping that Oceania steps up and gives those booked on this cruise  credit to travel at another time.  I have a lot invested and want to go, but can't imagine even getting on a plane to go to Singapore when Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam have cases of the virus.  Just checking temperature when people who have the virus are asymptomatic for such a long time, is not an acceptable way to avoid having people who are sick on the cruise.   People will be going on and off the ship.  They could easily catch it on one of the many ports.  I think for good will purposes and the protection of the crew and passengers, Oceania should give as much notice as possible to passengers that they will give a credit for cancelling the cruise.

When people lose such a large amount of money they are unhappy and in this world that translates to social media postings and word of mouth complaints.  I am going with other couples and they are upset as they have been on Oceania many times.  I doubt they would select O again if this issue is not resolved.

Oceania - if you are reading these posts, please at least offer credit for the cruise to those that do not want to be caught up in the chaos in HK and faced with flight and health concerns.  Thank you.

2 minutes ago, europeaddict said:

I'm scheduled to be on the Nautica on March 4th.  I am hoping that Oceania steps up and gives those booked on this cruise  credit to travel at another time.  I have a lot invested and want to go, but can't imagine even getting on a plane to go to Singapore when Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam have cases of the virus.  Just checking temperature when people who have the virus are asymptomatic for such a long time, is not an acceptable way to avoid having people who are sick on the cruise.   People will be going on and off the ship.  They could easily catch it on one of the many ports.  I think for good will purposes and the protection of the crew and passengers, Oceania should give as much notice as possible to passengers that they will give a credit for cancelling the cruise.

When people lose such a large amount of money they are unhappy and in this world that translates to social media postings and word of mouth complaints.  I am going with other couples and they are upset as they have been on Oceania many times.  I doubt they would select O again if this issue is not resolved.

Oceania - if you are reading these posts, please at least offer credit for the cruise to those that do not want to be caught up in the chaos in HK and faced with flight and health concerns.  Thank you.

We just flew through Hong Kong on our way to embarkation in Cape Town - zero chaos.

And we will fly home to SF on March 4 from Singapore through Hong Kong (when there will be equally little chaos). In both directions, we have/will avoid any/all physical contact, wear our anti-viral masks religiously , blah blah blah.

A lot of folks on this thread have watched way to many zombie apocalypse movies.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In both directions, we have/will avoid any/all physical contact, wear our anti-viral masks religiously , blah blah blah

Not a lot of fun wearing this mask for the 15 hour flight or will you take it off once on the plane.

How would you know that an asymptomatic person did not board the flight?

31 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Not a lot of fun wearing this mask for the 15 hour flight or will you take it off once on the plane.

Because we flew through Hong Kong, we put the masks on for that almost 16 hour flight to Cape Town as well as the several hour layover prior to boarding. Not that big a deal- light weight with shapeable nose bridge, very chic.

Didn't know who may have had "symptoms." But also didn't know who was a hatchet murderer.

On 2/1/2020 at 1:06 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not missing anything- some folks jut don't see the risk factor as being huge. By the thinking of some of the above posts, whole airport international terminals of gateway US cities like LA and SF should be shut down.

As of today  they pretty much are for travelers from many regions and countries.   With the declared national emergency it was stated " all returning citizens will be quarantined for 14 days if they return"

There is a certain  mind set in some people, whether from arrogance or ignorance ,that they feel too cool or  enlightened that  travel warnings of ALL manner are just not applicable to them.     In ignoring a problem they in fact become the bigger problem for all of us..

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I just read that the man with the virus in Seattle had it in his stool, as well. They believe it also could present itself there. That is a long flight to not go to the bathroom and also have to wear your mask. Yikes! 

• Like 1

I wouldn't rely too much on surgical face masks as they could give you a false sense of security. The mask discourages you from touching your face and nose but that's about it. They're only useful for people who have the virus.  The best precaution is still washing your hands frequently.  Just my two cents worth. 

https://www.livescience.com/face-mask-new-coronavirus.html

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I just read that the man with the virus in Seattle had it in his stool, as well. They believe it also could present itself there. That is a long flight to not go to the bathroom and also have to wear your mask. Yikes! 

Agree, it IS a long time to wear a mask. It gets hot wearing those things.

Appreciate everyone's input, but read your post on Sea Dream Yacht Club a few weeks ago and thought that  you said you weren't returning here.

Truly Blonde you said:

"I typically sailed Oceania, but based on the people posting on that Board, I think it is the New "O". As a friend of ours stated, old hippies and bad food. Not going back there..."

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

A lot of folks on this thread have watched way to many zombie apocalypse movies.

You are a treasure FF!! 😂

18 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Agree, it IS a long time to wear a mask. It gets hot wearing those things.

Appreciate everyone's input, but read your post on Sea Dream Yacht Club a few weeks ago and thought that  you said you weren't returning here.

Truly Blonde you said:

"I typically sailed Oceania, but based on the people posting on that Board, I think it is the New "O". As a friend of ours stated, old hippies and bad food. Not going back there..."

You are a treasure FF!! 😂

Yes, I happen to notice that you stalk me on CC and are always looking at my profile. Mind your own business and no need to be a Troll. It is unbecoming.