Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Is this Cruise Travel's and Air Travel's ... 9/11?

Comparing a viral outbreak with a terrorist attack is a bit excessive however coronavirus may have a disproportionate impact on the cruising industry.  Thousands of people crammed into tight spaces for extended periods does increase the risk of spread.  Secondly cruisers tend to skew toward an older demographic who apparently are at greater risk from the virus.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/05/asia/coronavirus-cruise-quarantines-intl-hnk/index.html

"Older people are especially susceptible to the Wuhan coronavirus -- China's National Health Commission said Tuesday that 80% of all fatalities in mainland China were over the age of 60."

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

What we find disturbing is that over 2600 passengers are confined to their cabins on the Diamond Princess and this will likely continue for at least 14 days.  Imagine being confined to an inside cabin for 2 weeks!  

Hank

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

What we find disturbing is that over 2600 passengers are confined to their cabins on the Diamond Princess and this will likely continue for at least 14 days.  Imagine being confined to an inside cabin for 2 weeks!  

Hank

Offering further proof that balconies are worth the extra cost. 😉

Edited by K32682

No, really, all this fuss with coronavirus is too overrated. Even the worst predictions say that maximal number of people who fell ill will be attained to the middle of February, and after that epidemic will go down. The one thing that could cause some fears is a cruise to China right now lol

9 minutes ago, Ava79 said:

Unfortunately, I've lost the link where I saw these prognosis to prove these information but look:https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-the-mysterious-coronavirus-detected-in-china

Here they say that a person who contracted the coronavirus has recovered and was sent home in US, so that means doctors probably found a medicine. I mean, everything has to be alright, but these fuss I said about is awful. For example, when I went to work a few days ago, I saw that one asian girl came to the subway car and people around her started to move away quickly. They were scared of course but isn't it impolite and offensively in relation to this girl? I just wanna say that journalists mustn't contribute to panic

I

No, if I were cruising in Asia,  maybe, but I am NOT and will NOt.

7 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

I do not see this as a long lasting  threat to cruising in  general  ravel BUT for some of Asia

What do any  of us  really know?  The experts admit to having lots they do not know

That rather depends whether it spreads across the world or whether it can be contained. Unfortunately the Chinese acted far too late and we don’t yet know how many infectious people there are, or where they are.

I had regrettably to cancel this year’s cruises, but I’m very relieved now that I did. The very last place I’d choose to be if this continues to spread is a cruise ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

That rather depends whether it spreads across the world or whether it can be contained. Unfortunately the Chinese acted far too late and we don’t yet know how many infectious people there are, or where they are.

I had regrettably to cancel this year’s cruises, but I’m very relieved now that I did. The very last place I’d choose to be if this continues to spread is a cruise ship.

I understand your feelings. My father travelled to Asia last autumn, and when I just think about he could be there now... It scares me. But all in all I suppose everything will be ok, in general

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

38 minutes ago, Ava79 said:

Here they say that a person who contracted the coronavirus has recovered and was sent home in US, so that means doctors probably found a medicine

No, that is most definitely NOT what it means. It simply means that he recovered sufficiently to be discharged home. Hospitals can provide the medical support to ( in most cases) treat the symptoms. But there is, at this time, no  magic bullet medicine that will cure the disease itself. There are experimental treatments using antivirals which show promise, but they haven't been given approval for general use.

9 minutes ago, mom says said:

No, that is most definitely NOT what it means. It simply means that he recovered sufficiently to be discharged home. Hospitals can provide the medical support to ( in most cases) treat the symptoms. But there is, at this time, no  magic bullet medicine that will cure the disease itself. There are experimental treatments using antivirals which show promise, but they haven't been given approval for general use.

IMO, 'what  it'  means   is  we   ( and some other nations)     have the equipment,  trained care givers and meds to keep people alive while their body slowly  with proper rest  hydration and high enough O2  recovers.

Edited by sail7seas
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

IMO, 'what  it'  means   is  we   ( and some other nations)     have the equipment,  trained care givers and meds to keep people alive while their body slowly  with proper rest  hydration and high enough O2  recovers.

Doesn't it give us a hope to feel quite safe in our country?

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Sounds like being in prison, especially if you have an inside cabin, ugh!

Some relevant info:

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.medrxiv.org%2Fcontent%2F10.1101%2F2020.01.23.20018549v1.full.pdf

"In 14 days’ time (4 February 2020), our model predicts the number of infected people in Wuhan to be greater than 190 thousand"

"Our model suggests that travel restrictions from and to Wuhan city are unlikely to be effective in halting transmission across China; with a 99% effective reduction in travel, the size of the epidemic outside of Wuhan may only be reduced by 24.9% on 4 February. "

More here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/health/coronavirus-pandemic-china.html

"In the last three weeks, the number of lab-confirmed cases has soared from about 50 in China to more than 17,000 in at least 23 countries; there have been more than 360 deaths.

But various epidemiological models estimate that the real number of cases is 100,000 or even more. While that expansion is not as rapid as that of flu or measles, it is an enormous leap beyond what virologists saw when SARS and MERS emerged."

"It is “increasingly unlikely that the virus can be contained,” said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, a former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention "

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Perfect time to catch up on your sleep and watch those rerun movies you missed. Plus you can still surf internet 24/7. It's not an ideal situation but survivable.

42 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Some relevant info:

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.medrxiv.org%2Fcontent%2F10.1101%2F2020.01.23.20018549v1.full.pdf

"In 14 days’ time (4 February 2020), our model predicts the number of infected people in Wuhan to be greater than 190 thousand"

"Our model suggests that travel restrictions from and to Wuhan city are unlikely to be effective in halting transmission across China; with a 99% effective reduction in travel, the size of the epidemic outside of Wuhan may only be reduced by 24.9% on 4 February. "

More here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/health/coronavirus-pandemic-china.html

"In the last three weeks, the number of lab-confirmed cases has soared from about 50 in China to more than 17,000 in at least 23 countries; there have been more than 360 deaths.

But various epidemiological models estimate that the real number of cases is 100,000 or even more. While that expansion is not as rapid as that of flu or measles, it is an enormous leap beyond what virologists saw when SARS and MERS emerged."

"It is “increasingly unlikely that the virus can be contained,” said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, a former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention "

Ya’ll do realize that this poster is mentioning site medrxiv which is NOT peer reviewed and as such is a breeding ground for “unsubstantiated” claims.   This is not a credible source in the US In the AMA’s eyes, and does in fact cause the mob effect for fear mongering.    Pls, all, make your own decisions on fact, your physicians recommendations, based on your situation, not some anonymous poster on an open forum.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

For information:

Another cruise ship, The World Dream of Dream Cruises has become the latest cruise ship to have confirmed cases of Coronavirus on-board.  See Cruise News section.

A Hong Kong owned cruise ship aimed at the Chinese market, full of crew and pax from China and Hong Kong. Who didn't see that coming?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruseforme said:

Pls, all, make your own decisions on fact, your physicians recommendations, based on your situation, not some anonymous poster on an open forum.    

Oh I totally agree.   Vital for everyone to do their own research at this time and to fully understand the implications of cruising during this current Coronvirus situation.   Gather what news you can and make an informed decision.