Using O air - what's maximum days deviation you've negotiated?

golfguyhhi

If you've used O air and requested a deviation, what's the maximum number of days O has agreed to allow you from your cruise date?

For instance, the cruise ends in Barcelona on May 1, and you want a deviation to fly home on May 12.  Or, the cruise starts in Barcelona on May 15 and you want to fly in on May 2.

Also, have you been able to get a deviation to/from a different city/airport than the cruise start/finish?

Example: Cruise ends in Barcelona and you want to deviate to fly home from Rome.

We did three days pre-cruise and four days post-cruise on our first Oceania adventure.

That was the first and last time used Oceania air. You didn't ask, but consider checking flights yourself before going with Oceania air. From my experience, there are much better options rather than the "free" airfare on Oceania. It's especially true if you prefer to fly business/first class.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Like 2

In regards to your question I’m not sure what any ancedotal post would matter. However, if you go to Oceania’s website, it clearly states that pre and post deviations of 30 days are allowed. I know of people that have used the maximum.

• Like 2

Rob,

I always check flight pricing myself.  O's business charge is $3600 Savannah-Barcelona r/t, and the same SAV-BCN multi-city Athens-Savannah.  And just got that same rate multi-city SAV-AMS/BCN-SAV. I use Delta, get the flights I want, the miles added to my account, get B/C from start to finish, and have yet to find a better rate on my own.  Close, but not better.  I know I could fly TAP or Aer Lingus or some such, but not for me.

pinotlover,

Thanks!!  I had not seen that when I poked around O's site.  Much appreciated.

For North Americans, best use of Oceania air is for transatlantic cruises where, if you do not have airline points, cost of one way transatlantic air is quite high. Pay one half the air allowance cost and take credit for domestic portion. Otherwise usually best to do air on your own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, golfguyhhi said:

Also, have you been able to get a deviation to/from a different city/airport than the cruise start/finish?

Example: Cruise ends in Barcelona and you want to deviate to fly home from Rome.

That is a hard no.

Oceania Air MUST be to and/or from the Embarkation/ Debarkation port(s).  No exceptions.

Something to do with their Air Contracts specifying cruise transportation use only.  

19 hours ago, StanandJim said:

That is a hard no.

Oceania Air MUST be to and/or from the Embarkation/ Debarkation port(s).  No exceptions.

Something to do with their Air Contracts specifying cruise transportation use only.  

Uh, where did you get this info? Better recheck it. 

I just did this in Sept. Cruise started in Amsterdam, we flew into Paris early, then took the train into Amsterdam. 

There was an additional charge of $200 each person. 

friends of ours  got  2 weeks prior to the cruise  with the deviation fee  for econ

I would check with O  for your sailing

I would also see what air  you can get on your own   especially if you do Bus class

• Like 2

23 hours ago, edgee said:

For North Americans, best use of Oceania air is for transatlantic cruises where, if you do not have airline points, cost of one way transatlantic air is quite high. Pay one half the air allowance cost and take credit for domestic portion. Otherwise usually best to do air on your own.

You should point out that that it is for one way transatlantic  or Pacific where the O alternative becomes an advantage as one way fares are the same as a round trip fare.   

Without airline points  it is always best to take the international /trans Atlantic/pacific  as the O portion and get a perm econ upgrade.   The domestic portion you pay for as it is chump change in comparison

This is also a strong argument for getting airline points as it is so easy to acquire them even without flying at all !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

You should point out that that it is for one way transatlantic  or Pacific where the O alternative becomes an advantage as one way fares are the same as a round trip fare.   

Without airline points  it is always best to take the international /trans Atlantic/pacific  as the O portion and get a perm econ upgrade.   The domestic portion you pay for as it is chump change in comparison

This is also a strong argument for getting airline points as it is so easy to acquire them even without flying at all !

Thanks, Hawaiidan. You said it better than I did. Now that U.S. carriers are starting to adopt true premium economy, hopefully it will be more available with more choices, including not always having to connect at Heathrow (BA or Virgin), Paris or in Germany.

• Like 1

We typically book our own air and take the air credit. However, we typically book our cruises 12-22 months out.

Another time we have found using Oceania Air cost effective was a cruise we booked about 100-110 days out. There were no ff mileage flights available and no deals on flights. Additionally, Oceania often reduces the offered Air credit as the cruise gets closer. This happened to us on this cruise where the air credit had been reduced to a minimum level. At less than 100 days out, even after adding the $99 each way non gateway airport fee ;the deviation fee; and the ( then) $99 each way PE upgrade, Oceania’s air deal was far better than anything we could find directly from the airlines.

Life is not always one size fits all! One must consider the actual circumstances at hand at the moment.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:13 AM, golfguyhhi said:

I know I could fly TAP or Aer Lingus or some such, but not for me.

What exactly is your problem with TAP?

On a random date in Jan I can get TAP business (lie flat seat) from SFO to AMS for $1600 vs $9100 on Delta. Which do you think I will choose?

You surely don’t fly business for food. I know you wouldn’t earn Sky Pesos on TAP but it is worth paying that much more for a few miles (Pesos)?

14 hours ago, Paulchili said:

What exactly is your problem with TAP?

On a random date in Jan I can get TAP business (lie flat seat) from SFO to AMS for $1600 vs $9100 on Delta. Which do you think I will choose?

You surely don’t fly business for food. I know you wouldn’t earn Sky Pesos on TAP but it is worth paying that much more for a few miles (Pesos)?

Just fyi, I found this review of TAP business. Sounds like it is not bad..

https://simpleflying.com/review-tap-air-portugal-a330-900neo-business-class/

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Just fyi, I found this review of TAP business. Sounds like it is not bad..

https://simpleflying.com/review-tap-air-portugal-a330-900neo-business-class/

Thank you - I have seen it before.

That is exactly why I would pay $1600 rather than $9100 (if I can’t use miles).

All I want from an overnight business flight is a lie flat seat - anything else is gravy.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay,  here is a complex one!

For example, a TA from Miami to Rome, to then do B2B Rome-Athens.

So how would it work to book one-way Olife TA flights back from Rome.

So, what would we pay in air allowance to book O-life. airfare oneway back from Rome?

Right now, with the current promotion on limited sailings. (Miami to Rome included)  O-life air is 2-for-1.

The only kicker is we would have to do a short flight from Athens back over to Rome.  (which would allow us to see more of Rome post-cruise)

WoaS;

You’re confusing to many item! As far as O Air is concerned with your b2b ( extended journey), they will be providing air from your home to Miami, plus from Athens to your home.

If you don’t need air to Miami, you can take a credit for half the air credit and only use O Air from Athens. 

If you decide to fly back to Rome, after Athens, O wouldn’t pay for that, but they would provide you air, with deviation charges from Rome.

Olife has zero to do with Air and shouldn’t be used in the same sentence. The 2 for 1 offers are goofiness and don’t deserve conversation.

All upgrade and non gateway airport fees apply. My recommendation is for you to have a conversation with your Travel Agent on this matter and allow them to work with Oceania Air to explore opportunities and costs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

So, what would we pay in air allowance to book O-life. airfare oneway back from Rome?

Right now, with the current promotion on limited sailings. (Miami to Rome included)  O-life air is 2-for-1.

The only kicker is we would have to do a short flight from Athens back over to Rome.  (which would allow us to see more of Rome post-cruise)

Make sure you read Pinot's answer twice. No one here can answer you exact question. This is a question for an experienced Oceania TA. Have you found one yet you plan on using? 

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Are you using Oceania air?

No problem  they will adjust your ticket   hometown to Mia  then ATH  to hometown

OLife has nothing to do with the air portion

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Are you using Oceania air?

No problem  they will adjust your ticket   hometown to Mia  then ATH  to hometown

OLife has nothing to do with the air portion

Lyn, you're missing the part where she wants to go back to Rome and fly home from Rome. 

I believe she'd be on the hook for the flight from Athens to Rome. But once again, what I said earlier. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Lyn, you're missing the part where she wants to go back to Rome and fly home from Rome. 

I believe she'd be on the hook for the flight from Athens to Rome. But once again, what I said earlier. 

ORV

I guess  I am confused

I was thinking  they have the cruise booked  ending in Rome but now want to add another segment ending in Athens but wondering if they had to fly back to Rome with the already booked return flights

Did not realize they wanted to go back to Rome to spend more time there

OOPS  😎

I am sure O would book  a flight  from ATH to FCO  for a fee  if that is what they want to do 😉

Thanks you guys...  sorry for the confusion!  Yes, kind of complex.

No biggie to try to figure out.   I am seeing that that TransAtlantic over to Rome is a full two weeks,  so I am thinking this isn't really going to work out for us anyhow.  We would just do the short Rome-Athens.

The thing was, I think the TA cruise does offer two for one air with Olife, with the current Promo. (but not the Rome - Athens cruise)  So, that would have been the kicker.  And, also read in the recent thread that maybe it would really benefit to only book thru Oceania Air for one-way, which would be the return flight.

I have absolutely no idea how that would be handled as two different bookings, but back to back???

Edited by Wishing on a star

If you book the B2B (extended voyage) you will get a credit for the airfare for a cruise. The Rome returns disappears and O will return you from your final destination. 

Forget 2 for 1!! Never mention it again! It’s all nonsense!

With a deviation you can fly home from anywhere in Europe you want with in 30 days of your disembarkment. Talk with your TA, giving them the details of what you’ like to do, and allow them to come back with costs and options. That is the only way to get totally accurate information. Talk with your TA, that’s what they get paid for!

3 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Thanks you guys...  sorry for the confusion!  Yes, kind of complex.

No biggie to try to figure out.   I am seeing that that TransAtlantic over to Rome is a full two weeks,  so I am thinking this isn't really going to work out for us anyhow.  We would just do the short Rome-Athens.

The thing was, I think the TA cruise does offer two for one air with Olife, with the current Promo. (but not the Rome - Athens cruise)  So, that would have been the kicker.  And, also read in the recent thread that maybe it would really benefit to only book thru Oceania Air for one-way, which would be the return flight.

I have absolutely no idea how that would be handled as two different bookings, but back to back???

You are making things more complicated than they need be

If you do  a B2B or whatever  they want to call it you get an air credit for the unused portion

Forget the  2 for 1  it means nothing  only works for Happy hour 🙂