Argentina & Antarctica 14 day cruise

Rickster50

Hi All,

We are thinking of doing the Argentina & Antarctica 14 day cruise aboard the Celebrity Silhouette next Jan 3, 2021.

I was wondering whether any of your folks here have done that cruise and if so, how was it?

Thanks

Rick 

2 hours ago, Rickster50 said:

Hi All,

We are thinking of doing the Argentina & Antarctica 14 day cruise aboard the Celebrity Silhouette next Jan 3, 2021.

I was wondering whether any of your folks here have done that cruise and if so, how was it?

Thanks

Rick 

Rick,

A couple of suggestions. You should perhaps look up the previous roll calls for this cruise from 2019-20 and see what info is available there.  They were on Eclipse. Also post your question on the South America board for a more specific response.  We did Chile to BA in January on Eclipse.  The next cruise out of BA (departed Jan 19) was the Antarctica cruise you are interested in.  Eclipse and Silhouette are very similar ships.

3 hours ago, Rickster50 said:

Hi All,

Thanks

Rick 

We have done three trip to SA and love it.

Haven't done Antartica.  I have read on cc that frequently cruises to Antartica have such bad weather that you don't get to see it. I can't say, since I haven't done the cruise, but check that out.

3 hours ago, Rickster50 said:

Hi All,

Thanks

Rick 

We have done it three times, and one not to be missed. I would suggest you plan on spending a few days pre and post cruise as it is a truly an amazing experience. 

We did the SA - Antarctica Cruise on the Infinity.   One thing to keep in mind is that the weather is very unpredictable.  I didn’t realize this when we booked.  Once I joined the Roll Call some were saying this was their 2nd or 3rd time and they had missed  most ports in previous cruises due to weather.  That had us wondering if we were spending $$ on a trip that might not be what we planned.

We were fortunate and had outstanding weather, no missed ports, lots of sunshine. 
A memorable trip that we would do again if there weren’t so many more places yet to visit.EA015AE3-1607-4454-AFC2-C613D7A0E139.thumb.jpeg.3a0beb66aec74d76865dd4d8da868749.jpeg

• Thanks 1

We did this one in February, 2014 on Infinity. The Cruise Director referred to the sailing as the Golden Cruise, as we were able to make all our ports, including the Falklands. Even if we hadn't been so lucky, this would still have stood out as one of our most memorable sailings ever. The short answer? Just do it!!

Did this cruise on Infinity.  Would do it again in a heart beat.  That being said we had extremely bad weather and missed the Falklands then had to turn back from Antarctica due to high wind and rough seas.  However, we turned around and went back to Antarctica a day or so later and all was beautiful.  I wish I could have afforded the smaller ship experience but there was about a $20,000 difference in cost.  Went to Buenos Aires 3 days prior and really enjoyed the time there.

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Did this cruise on Infinity.  Would do it again in a heart beat.  That being said we had extremely bad weather and missed the Falklands then had to turn back from Antarctica due to high wind and rough seas.  However, we turned around and went back to Antarctica a day or so later and all was beautiful.  I wish I could have afforded the smaller ship experience but there was about a $20,000 difference in cost.  Went to Buenos Aires 3 days prior and really enjoyed the time there.

Were you on the January 31, 2010 cruise?  Is sounds like our cruise, skipping Elephant Island too . If so, we too would do Antartica cruise again.

As we were leaving Antartica.  Some penguins were waving good-bye!  🙂

penquins on iceberg.JPG

Edited by shipshape sam

In 2015 we did an Antarctic itinerary on the Infinity.  It was the first leg of a B2B2B, so paired well with the following two cruises.  We enjoyed all three cruises immensely, and the birding (for my husband) on the first leg (the Antarctic leg) was incredible.  My sense is that this itinerary tends to attract an "outdoorsy" crowd, so don't expect late nights in the bars.

On 2/2/2020 at 7:27 AM, jelayne said:

We did the SA - Antarctica Cruise on the Infinity.   One thing to keep in mind is that the weather is very unpredictable.  I didn’t realize this when we booked.  Once I joined the Roll Call some were saying this was their 2nd or 3rd time and they had missed  most ports in previous cruises due to weather.  That had us wondering if we were spending $$ on a trip that might not be what we planned.

We were fortunate and had outstanding weather, no missed ports, lots of sunshine. 
A memorable trip that we would do again if there weren’t so many more places yet to visit.EA015AE3-1607-4454-AFC2-C613D7A0E139.thumb.jpeg.3a0beb66aec74d76865dd4d8da868749.jpeg

Jelayne what month did you go? We are looking at the January 31, 2021 cruise. Thanks. 

It's a great cruise...subject to weather which is unpredictable before you get there.  Be prepared for itinerary changes... to accommodate the weather.   The Falklands can be very windy and many cruises have to skip.  We made it on the Infinity, although on a different day than scheduled.  Crossing to the antarctic was delayed due to rough seas so we spent a day sailing up and down the Beagle Channel which wasn't even on our itinerary... a major plus.  I'd say book it and take your chances....likely you'll have a wonderful experience as most do. 

On 2/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, TeeRick said:

Rick,

A couple of suggestions. You should perhaps look up the previous roll calls for this cruise from 2019-20 and see what info is available there.  They were on Eclipse. Also post your question on the South America board for a more specific response.  We did Chile to BA in January on Eclipse.  The next cruise out of BA (departed Jan 19) was the Antarctica cruise you are interested in.  Eclipse and Silhouette are very similar ships.

Hi TeeRick,

Apologies for going off topic a bit, but I was wondering how you look at previous roll calls? When I go on Find your roll call, the only date options are in the future. Also when just using the search bar for roll call 2019 for example nothing is returned.

Thanks for any help.

Tracy

13 minutes ago, Tracyi said:

Hi TeeRick,

Apologies for going off topic a bit, but I was wondering how you look at previous roll calls? When I go on Find your roll call, the only date options are in the future. Also when just using the search bar for roll call 2019 for example nothing is returned.

Thanks for any help.

Tracy

Oh I'm sorry- I guess they get archived fairly quickly.  I had some saved in advance so I could go back.  I think current roll calls for your ship or itinerary are useful.  If interested in activities or excursions you can check roll calls for similar itineraries for multiple cruise lines. too.  Or the port boards.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Oh I'm sorry- I guess they get archived fairly quickly.  I had some saved in advance so I could go back.  I think current roll calls for your ship or itinerary are useful.  If interested in activities or excursions you can check roll calls for similar itineraries for multiple cruise lines. too.  Or the port boards.

Thanks for the reply, the tip about current roll calls is helpful, never thought of looking at multiple cruise lines!

13 hours ago, Rickster50 said:

Thanks for all those great replies and I have taken on board what's been offered.

I guess my main question would be: Is there a particular month to go on such a cruise or is it just "pot luck"?

Thanks

Rick

I believe they only offer two trips - two weeks apart. So there will not be much of a difference in that span of time.