Connecting Decks

pauon

We are booking on the Coral Princess to Antarctica.  We have adjoining cabins with my daughter and her family.  Has anyone been able to have the exterior  door between the connecting balconies locked open for their cruise to make one large balcony?  Has anyone asked to have it locked open and been refused.  Does the cabin steward have the key, if not who did you ask?   Thanks in advance !

41 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

If your cabins are on either side of a fire door, you won't be able to connect the balconies. In other words: cabin 1 is D231 and cabin 2 is D301. Right next to each other but bracketing a fire door = no connecting balcony door.

Is there any way to determine the location of the fire doors from the deck plans? We often travel with others and open between our balconies. We've never had an issue on a Princess ship but I often wonder if we'll run into that problem sometime.

6 minutes ago, 2theship said:

Is there any way to determine the location of the fire doors from the deck plans? We often travel with others and open between our balconies. We've never had an issue on a Princess ship but I often wonder if we'll run into that problem sometime.

the deck plans on Princess' website shows fine door locations....did you look there?

The fire doors look like little black sideways arrows. Often the cabin numbering will change there too but not always. And yes just ask your steward to connect your balconies, we do this all the time. I would ask as soon as you get to your cabin because it can take awhile for them to do it (they are busy with luggage and everything else during embarkation). 

34 minutes ago, 2theship said:

The fire doors occur where the room numbers jump to the next category.  Between highest 200  room and 301, between highest 300 and 401, etc.  So anytime you jump from 200’s to 300’s,  300’s to 400’s, 400’s to 500’s you are crossing a fire door.

4 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

The fire doors look like little black sideways arrows. Often the cabin numbering will change there too but not always. And yes just ask your steward to connect your balconies, we do this all the time. I would ask as soon as you get to your cabin because it can take awhile for them to do it (they are busy with luggage and everything else during embarkation). 

I looked carefully at the deck plans for the Coral Princess from their web site.  I went to the tab that said "On Board Our Ships", then to "Coral Princess" and then to "Deck Plans".  I was not able to find anything like you described or anything that indicated fire doors (at least I think I looked carefully).   Is there another place to see the deck plans?

7 hours ago, pauon said:

We are booking on the Coral Princess to Antarctica.  We have adjoining cabins with my daughter and her family.  Has anyone been able to have the exterior  door between the connecting balconies locked open for their cruise to make one large balcony?  Has anyone asked to have it locked open and been refused.  Does the cabin steward have the key, if not who did you ask?   Thanks in advance !

You have received many of the usual fire door comments...

I believe the fire door comments were true for sun class ships.

Every time this subject comes up, posters post examples of cabins they were in that violated this this fictional rule.

A search on cruise critic will show enough exceptions to realize that there is no such rule.

Balconies which cannot connect are marked as below.

If the cabin you are considering is not so annotated, I suggest you simply ask your cabin steward once on board.

38645407045_20e3df598c_b.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pablo222 said:

As best as I know, on coral, the balconies which don't connect are at the "bump-out"s,

which if you look at the deck plan seems intuitive.

https://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=CO

Also, for the fire-door folks, have a look at the picture in this post:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1926526-opening-balconies-on-crown-princess/?tab=comments#comment-40724639

Re-posted here, but belongs to the author of that post...

847925927_2014CaribbeanCruise028.jpg.1e3

Also, have a look at some of the comments in that thread.

Edited by pablo222

One nice thing about the balcony connecting doors on the Coral is they open 180 degrees. I use duct tape / cord to tape / tie it open to the partition to avoid it swinging and banging.

I could not do the same on the Golden as the doorsonly opened about 95 degrees, which also cut into usable balcony space.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 9:39 PM, Mr_Plow said:

I could not do the same on the Golden as the doorsonly opened about 95 degrees, which also cut into usable balcony space.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that. We're on the Golden Princess in June, in two adjacent Mini-suites and there are five of us so sad to have to give up balcony space (but wanting the pass through).

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 11:39 PM, Mr_Plow said:

One nice thing about the balcony connecting doors on the Coral is they open 180 degrees. I use duct tape / cord to tape / tie it open to the partition to avoid it swinging and banging.

Thank you for doing that the cabin next door had theirs open and it banged like hell! Had to call guest services who sent someone up to lock it again! They were out for the night we were in!

Edited by Reader0108598