Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

As I understand it, the infected passengers on the planes to the USA were behind a plastic curtain which was behind all of the other passengers.

With only 4 portable restrooms on each plane, I wonder if one was dedicated to those who were positive or did they share the ones with those who had tested negative.

• Like 1

WA (Western Australia) is on the map now. One of the positive cases flown from the Diamond Princess to Darwin is being transferred to Perth for further treatment:

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/wa-s-first-imported-case-of-coronavirus-to-be-treated-at-sir-charles-gairdner-hospital-20200221-p5435b.html

17 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

When we saw this picture, impression given was that white container was the isolation area for the infected.

But as washington post report details, they were actually kept on separate rows separated by plastic curtains.

Hope that WaPo is indeed fake news on this topic and the container shown on picture was actually used.

Unfortunately, someone with some info confirmed that WaPo was correct and the container shown above was not used for these infected (but asymptomatic) passengers.

Interesting video taken during the flight.  There appears to be curtained area at the back of the aircraft.   

This all look to have been put together last minute from whatever parts were available.  A little duct tape (or aviation tape) and your good to go.  

What is probably more important is having people with the correct skills to adapt to what is going on.  On the US flights these were CDC people working with the passengers?  Flight crew is sealed off on the top deck.

For the Canadian flight they said that Health Canada was providing the in flight doctors and nurses that are infectious disease experts.  They would be assisted by military medics.  

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, BulldustHHH said:

WA (Western Australia) is on the map now. One of the positive cases flown from the Diamond Princess to Darwin is being transferred to Perth for further treatment:

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/wa-s-first-imported-case-of-coronavirus-to-be-treated-at-sir-charles-gairdner-hospital-20200221-p5435b.html

Just saw him being taken to a plane. The flight to SA is expected to arrive around midnight. Lucky we have already discharged the two positive people from Wuhan already. She will be put into a negative pressure room with dedicated air conditioning. 

13 minutes ago, rickays said:

From NIID  Field Briefing: Diamond Princess COVID-19 Cases

https://www.niid.go.jp/niid/en/2019-ncov-e/9407-covid-dp-fe-01.html

I will make no comment regarding this report, either for or against, only putting it here because it is interesting reading. 

It is interesting.  Ultimately, if there were transmissions in the past 5-10 days of the quarantine, we may not know about them for another week or two.  One thing that jumped out at me is that the article does not discuss the fact that some (I think 3?) medical staff in Japan who came onboard to assist became infected.

6 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The people who stated that the virus was spreading through the ventilation system did not, and could not, know it for a fact, but they stated it that way. I feel that 'chengkp75' has explained how the ventilation works in the cabins and I feel doubly reassured that the virus was not spread that way.

When people such as David and Sally Abel tested positive only a couple of days ago, no-one knows how long they had the virus. He had reported tummy upsets and feeling very tired for days. In one of Sally's phone calls, David could be heard vomiting in the bathroom.

David and Sally had a dry cough (one of the symptoms) at least a week ago and were blaming it on the air conditioning. A table mate who they sat with for 14 days tested positive at the beginning of the outbreak. I'm no expert but my guess is that it is spread by close contact and not via the air conditioning. This is a droplet infection, droplets are heavy and will naturally fall onto a surface or the floor .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paphoslady said:

David and Sally had a dry cough (one of the symptoms) at least a week ago and were blaming it on the air conditioning. A table mate who they sat with for 14 days tested positive at the beginning of the outbreak. I'm no expert but my guess is that it is spread by close contact and not via the air conditioning. This is a droplet infection, droplets are heavy and will naturally fall onto a surface or the floor .

If they had developed the virus a week ago hopefully that means they have started developing antibodies to fight it before it becoming any more severe and may be well on the way to recovery. 

2 hours ago, JennAngel9 said:

It is interesting.  Ultimately, if there were transmissions in the past 5-10 days of the quarantine, we may not know about them for another week or two.  One thing that jumped out at me is that the article does not discuss the fact that some (I think 3?) medical staff in Japan who came onboard to assist became infected.

I think 2 of the Japanese that got the infection  were said to be administrates on the ship. (No detail on what that entails was given)

Just now, Pushka said:

If they had developed the virus a week ago hopefully that means they have started developing antibodies to fight it before it becoming any more severe and may be well on the way to recovery. 

Fingers crossed they will! The majority of cases outside of China seem to be mild with some people not even knowing that they have the virus. Of the 9 people tested positive in the UK, 8 were released from isolation relatively quickly. One was a "super spreader" but according to the press had very mild symptoms.

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Hopefully they will be on their way to recovery. The data from other some countries is looking more hopeful, however, it seems that the worst week is week 3 if recovery has not been achieved by then, so will just have to keep our fingers crossed for all who have caught this on board.

1 minute ago, fragilek said:

This implies that the medical workers got the virus because they were in close contact with the infected passengers. One would assume that the medical workers were the ones taking the swabs to see if passengers were infected.

1 minute ago, paphoslady said:

This implies that the medical workers got the virus because they were in close contact with the infected passengers. One would assume that the medical workers were the ones taking the swabs to see if passengers were infected.

that's odd that's not my quote under my name - think there must be gremlins in the system

Don't know if this is genuine or not, seen on facebook..............

I am writing this letter.In behalf of the Filipino crew the Galley Team of Diamond Princess Cruise Ship .We know that quarantine period has been done. But why we are still working 5 days? We are counting days and it seems like it’s getting longer & longer. We are no longer functional well, both body & mind.And we are stressed & frightened.Thinking what will happen next? As the virus has been spreading so fast inside this ship.I hope u understand us. Money is nothing if you die and leave ur family without a great memory.I stand to this for myself and my team.Because I care for them and their family.We always say 1 team 1 dream! And apologies to those who are not happy with this messsage. I hope you understand.God Bless The Galley Team and Filipino Crew of Diamond Princess lets stand together!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JennAngel9 said:

From NIID  Field Briefing: Diamond Princess COVID-19 Cases

https://www.niid.go.jp/niid/en/2019-ncov-e/9407-covid-dp-fe-01.html

I will make no comment regarding this report, either for or against, only putting it here because it is interesting reading. 

This is an interesting report. Interesting to note that a higher percentage of passengers 70-99 became infected compared to the younger age groups??

19 minutes ago, glam mistress said:

Israel has its first case, a passenger from Diamond Princess. I wonder if these new cases (and surely there will be more the way this going), will count as the official DP total or be moved to country totals? 

I wonder if they quarantined people returning from the Diamond Princess?

36 minutes ago, paphoslady said:

I wonder if they quarantined people returning from the Diamond Princess?

Yes they were tested on arrival at their quarantine center

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-confirms-first-coronavirus-case-as-cruise-ship-returnee-diagnosed/

Very odd report talks of breath samples and patients handing morning blood samples to doctors through a window.  

Edited by fragilek

25 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Yes they were tested on arrival at their quarantine center

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-confirms-first-coronavirus-case-as-cruise-ship-returnee-diagnosed/

Very odd report talks of breath samples and patients handing morning blood samples to doctors through a window.

Very odd, I suspect they were swabbed to see if they had the virus. I thought they were using PCR to diagnose infected individuals. 

9 minutes ago, paphoslady said:

Very odd, I suspect they were swabbed to see if they had the virus. I thought they were using PCR to diagnose infected individuals. 

I read a report by (patients) at Nebraska Medicine who has 13 patients from the Diamond that they are swabbing both nostrils and the throat for their tests. They (patients who are talking) said the tests in Japan were 1 swab (as opposed to 3).

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

I read a report by (patients) at Nebraska Medicine who has 13 patients from the Diamond that they are swabbing both nostrils and the throat for their tests. They (patients who are talking) said the tests in Japan were 1 swab (as opposed to 3).

I think the more swabs the better up to a certain point. Apparently the nostril sample can be quite difficult to do as you need to sample quite high in the nose, I've read that throat swabs tend to have a better chance of detecting the virus.

8 minutes ago, paphoslady said:

I think the more swabs the better up to a certain point. Apparently the nostril sample can be quite difficult to do as you need to sample quite high in the nose, I've read that throat swabs tend to have a better chance of detecting the virus.

When I had the flu - they did 2 nostril swabs. The first one for rapid test and the second one 30 minutes later (as I tested negative for the rapid) to test for several other things (including flu). I would have much preferred the throat but they said for the flu, nostril is how they test.

I have no clue about corona virus and am not a medical person. I can just say I hate nostril swabs. I wonder if it matters who is doing the tests also.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1