Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

Everyone has been concerned about the passengers, rightly so.  But, what about the crew?  They are not in isolation and have been exposed to the passengers, and each other, some of whom have been diagnosed with this coronavirus.  I just read this article about some of the crew wanting to go home.  They are in a scarier situation than the passengers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/indian-crew-coronavirus-quarantined-diamond-princess-2020-2        

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

Thailand has agreed to take the Westerdam. I however would not be eager to share a plane with the passengers.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22423-westerdam-cleared-for-thailand-disembarkation.html

That might not be a good port to disembark because Thailand continued to fly to and from China after other countries.  I haven't checked whether they are still flying to and from China.  However, I did see Thailand listed with China, etc. as a country which people couldn't travel via.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outerdog said:

A top US official has stated that they expect that the virus will be gone by April. Good news.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/11/asia-pacific/science-health-asia-pacific/trump-expects-coronavirus-crisis-go-away-april/

First, sunlight is what helps kill it off, not heat. Also, President Trump is not a virus expert. According to the article:

But Trump’s prognosis is at odds with top U.S. health officials who have cautioned against commenting on the trajectory of the epidemic.

“The issue is, we don’t know,” Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told reporters Friday.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

Yes, I saw the interview she did with CNN a short while ago.  It sent a chill up my spine when she talked about the ambulances starting to assemble again and the firetrucks positioning to block the view of the media.  Such a sad situation they are in.

Hmm... not transparent, are they!  How long ago was the CNN interview?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

Hospital isolation wards are kept at negative pressure. Cruise ship cabins are kept at positive pressure due to fire code restrictions. What this means is that every time a cabin door is opened (for meals, linens, a walk on the deck, etc.) a certain volume of cabin air moves into the hallway contaminating the zone/area air system. There is little if anything Princess can do about that. A cabin is not an isolation room, it may be the best they can do on a ship but don't confuse it with a hospital.

Actually, air from each cabin is going into the hallway 100% of the time. As air comes into the cabin from the air conditioning system, some air must also leave the cabin which it does including through the small opening at the bottom of each cabin door to the hallway.

7 minutes ago, npcl said:

They are not quarantining well people with sick people. They are removing the sick people as soon as they are identified. 

because of such a long incubation period technically there are many "sick" people in cabins with well people.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Hmm... not transparent, are they!  How long ago was the CNN interview?

I am still unclear when it was. DAvid Abel is talking on his facebook but he cannot see the dock and ambulances etc. I guess we will know soon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, caribill said:

Actually, air from each cabin is going into the hallway 100% of the time. As air comes into the cabin from the air conditioning system, some air must also leave the cabin which it does including through the small opening at the bottom of each cabin door to the hallway.

Air comes in through the HVAC vents and is taken out through the bathroom exhaust.

7 minutes ago, caribill said:

No. Air is exhausted from the cabin at the exhaust vent in the bathroom.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

A top US official has stated that they expect that the virus will be gone by April. Good news.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/11/asia-pacific/science-health-asia-pacific/trump-expects-coronavirus-crisis-go-away-april/

Not very likely.  Consider this take a look at the temperatures in Singapore.  An area with several person to person transfers.  Now how much warmer would it need to get to block transmission. I don't think CDC is making that comment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, npcl said:

Not very likely.  Consider this take a look at the temperatures in Singapore.  An area with several person to person transfers.  Now how much warmer would it need to get to block transmission. I don't think CDC is making that comment.

I was laying the sarcasm on pretty thick...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Air comes in through the HVAC vents and is taken out through the bathroom exhaust.

1 minute ago, Outerdog said:

No. Air is exhausted from the cabin at the intake vent in the bathroom.

Caribill is correct, you open the door and the small gap at the bottom of the door there is some air leaving the cabin to the hallway. How much air would depend on how tight the door seal is for fire and how many times a day the door is opened. The 100% is not 100% of the air but there is a small constant leak there.

A-

2 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Not all.  The difference is low enough to maintain slight positive pressure.  rest exhausts via hallway.  However if those on Balcony room leave their balcony doors open then they create a low pressure situation for air flow to travel from hallway through their room to outside (I am sure that you have observed air whistling through the hallway doors of balcony cabins sometimes when balcony door is left open.  If I was on board I would only open balcony door enough to go out and in, but not leave it open.

7 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

5 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

No. Air is exhausted from the cabin at the exhaust vent in the bathroom.

And when the bathroom door is closed?

12 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

There has been plenty of discussion about the crew. They are facing more exposures than the pax in many cases. In one article I read, bar staff are washing dishes returned from the cabins.

As in placing them in the industrial washers.

2 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Caribill is correct, you open the door and the small gap at the bottom of the door there is some air leaving the cabin to the hallway. How much air would depend on how tight the door seal is for fire and how many times a day the door is opened. The 100% is not 100% of the air but there is a small constant leak there.

A-

Not exactly.

One of the main reason that the guests are quarantined in their cabins most of the day, is that the AC in cabins is not shared or recirculated.  There are two AC systems on the ship.  One takes outside air, cools it, and supplies it to the cabins, in a one way flow.  This fresh air supplied to the cabins is almost balanced by the bathroom exhaust which takes the air to the outside, in a one way flow.  The fresh air supply is slightly greater than the exhaust to keep the cabin at a slight positive pressure relative to the outside, and to the passageway outside the cabin.  The AC controlled by the cabin thermostat is air within the cabin, that is recirculated within the cabin, passing over the individual cabin's cooler.

• Like 1

Just now, caribill said:

And when the bathroom door is closed?

The bathroom door is not a tight seal.  If it stopped enough air from getting out the vent the bathroom would go negative pressure and would be more difficult to open.