Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

7 hours ago, Outerdog said:

A top US official has stated that they expect that the virus will be gone by April. Good news.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/11/asia-pacific/science-health-asia-pacific/trump-expects-coronavirus-crisis-go-away-april/

I will believe it when I see it. People in China wear face masks a good number of them because of the air quality and it rampant despite that the virus has infected nearly 50,000 people. It will always be with us and it will take time to develop a vaccine and a long time to administer it to  people in China.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Oh Dear ! Poor Americans being held captive by Japan ! If it keeps the virus out of your country then It has to continue. I can think of worst places to be in quarantine.

Ok I did sincerely recognize the plight of citizens of all countries of those on board including the crew, but I would not begin to comment About what other countries should do. Here is the quote. 

2 hours ago, milolii said:

Ok flame me!  I want all citizens of all nations on board the Diamond Princess cared for including crew!  

However, I do recognize the devastating effects on the citizens of China, especially.  I should mentioned that.  

My post is a plea, that’s all. I realize it is awful for all. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Farts said:

There isn't a 3,600 bed hospital in japan or anywhere in the world. It would literally overwhelm the entire hospital system. 

For reference, a medium sized hospital is anywhere from 300-450 beds. 

West China Medical Center -- 4300 beds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_China_Medical_Center

Here is a list of the largest hospitals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_hospitals

The handling of this Quarantine is a recipe for disaster.

The crew are in cramped quarters and very vulnerable to the virus - mean while they are preparing the meals and delivering them to all the passengers on the ship . No wonder the virus continues to grow on board .

Outside packaged meals should have been arranged at minimum .

I think its time for countries to get their people off that ship and into quarantine at home -

Edited by Forecheck
grammar
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Kmkub said:

I had no idea that Cruise Critic had so many experts in contagious diseases and proper quarantine procedures! We are so lucky.  That said, you should be on the phone with the authorities in charge, including the clearly unqualified people at the WHO and explain to them why they are wrong. 

I wholeheartedly agree. So many fear mongers on here. Must want higher counts on their profile.

please listen to David’s video. So many untruths here

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The risk of contracting corona virus in all countries apart from China remain extremely low - I think this is something that most people are forgetting. In most countries the confirmed cases are very low, for example in the UK only 8 cases so far. Yes a cruise ship is an environment where a virus such as corona virus could easily spread but so are trains, schools, planes, tube stations and anywhere if people gather in close proximity. A small number of cruise ships in the Far East have been caught up in the fast moving worldwide response and my heart goes out to all those affected by this at the moment. Fingers crossed everyone on Diamond Princess will soon be released from quarantine. There's lots of talk about the crew and whether they are spreading the virus when preparing food etc. I would assume that gloves and masks are being worn at all times to prevent any contamination. Yes the crew are living and working in much closer proximity but I guess there is very little choice - no alternative accommodation available for them. Quarantining all passengers and crew on land would have been a massive undertaking and risks contaminating other locations with the virus.

• Like 3

Boy Princess is having some time...now another ship is heading back to FLL due to extreme norovirus and ports in caribbean refusing to let them in port.  This cruise is cut short it is so extreme...and then I am thinking about all the passengers getting on planes and spreading the virus. Honestly how much more?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, voljeep said:

without reading the last 7,8,9 pages of postings … anything NEW really going on except more cases being developed ?

only new thing I have learned in the last day was the 63 or 66 taken off a day ago and David Abel in his last facebook broadcast said that a large number of UK doctors have boarded the ship...he really did not know much more than that. If anyone heard that and got more info please post. First I have to question why they would bring that many on...I don't think there are that many UK citizens on so guess they are helping in general.  Only source on that so far is David but he is usually correct and conservative in what he reports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dog said:

This is spreading on the ship. All countries need to help their citizens. Some May disembark next Tuesday as David Abel mentioned today in his video. 

There is no evidence that the virus spread once the quarantine started. It’s very likely  those found to have the virus were infected before quarantine started. 
Moving them would not help them and would risk spreading the virus further and would risk all those involved in the move and caring for them until the end of the quarantine period.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

There is no evidence that the virus spread once the quarantine started. It’s very likely  those found to have the virus were infected before quarantine started. 
Moving them would not help them and would risk spreading the virus further and would risk all those involved in the move and caring for them until the end of the quarantine period.

Too much is unknown about this virus. I did not say to take them off ship, did I?

6 hours ago, SakeDad said:

Sadly our US government has said they will NOT be sending any evacuations to help the US citizens onboard and are letting Japan set the rules. So the poor passengers and crew are left to sit there as more and more cases are being reported yet MOST of them haven't even been tested! I think Princess is handling it as best they can as they are also at Japan's mercy but there are some really poor decisions being made that I fear will end up with results no one wants in the end.

If there was a way to predict which passengers would get sick, this would be easy. Since we don't know (and can't know,) they all have to stay on board. It's not that "more and more people are getting sick." They already had the virus; the quarantine is to get them to the hospital before they can infect even more people.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

And also given no one here is an expert on epidemics and their spread...these passengers have been on for one week under quarantine..can some that had the virus all this time be passing it on....sure it could be.  And then you factor in the crew being asked to prepare and serve meals...well that is all a risk factor given so many of the crew have the virus. Sorry but no one knows and it is all speculation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kathy49 said:

And also given no one here is an expert on epidemics and their spread...these passengers have been on for one week under quarantine..can some that had the virus all this time be passing it on....sure it could be.  And then you factor in the crew being asked to prepare and serve meals...well that is all a risk factor given so many of the crew have the virus. Sorry but no one knows and it is all speculation.

Totally agree with you. A crew member was in news, no mask , with 4 others with masks within 1’ of each other giving an interview. Another crew

member says he takes his breaks on deck smoking. Another news report has crew from India saying his crew mates have not under gone any testing. 
yes, it is all speculation. 

• Like 2