Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

4 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Being Princess’s protocols are limited only to steps to prevent passenger to passenger transmission while virtually ignoring the risk of crew to passenger, passenger to crew and crew to crew, four family members sticking together rather than sticking to 2s is the least of the problems.

they are not family member ...friends sharing open balcony and moving freely between the two cabins.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Passenger 0, the initially infected passenger, left the ship in Hong Kong on Jan 25. It has been 17 days, well past the so called 14 day incubation period. If 14 days is accurate (reports now say up to 24 days) then the new infections were new passenger to passenger infections on the ship and not from the original pax.

No. The incubation period "clock" would start at the beginning of the quarantine period, which was February 4, or ~7 days ago.

Just now, Outerdog said:

No. The incubation period "clock" would start at the beginning of the quarantine period, which was February 4, or ~7 days ago.

this has to be passenger to passenger....or crew to passenger or passenger to crew....it has evolved right on this mini city.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Being Princess’s protocols are limited only to steps to prevent passenger to passenger transmission while virtually ignoring the risk of crew to passenger, passenger to crew and crew to crew, four family members sticking together rather than sticking to 2s is the least of the problems.

And you know this how?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kathy49 said:

they are not family member ...friends sharing open balcony and moving freely between the two cabins.

Same difference.  I would be more concerned about the multiple people involved in my food prep than my friends (that I was already in contact with the entire trip prior to the quarantine so if they were infected they already infected me)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

this has to be passenger to passenger....or crew to passenger or passenger to crew....it has evolved right on this mini city.

Or surface to passenger/crew between Jan 25 (Pax 0 disembark) and Feb 4 (quarantine start).

Everyone seems eager to claim the virus is spreading out of control throughout the ship. The quarantine period is just a little over half complete. New positive tests were anticipated.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

You missed my point or I was not clear. My point was that the "original" passenger is not the reason for the newly reported cases IF the 14 day period is accurate. He was gone 17 days ago.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

There is no evidence that the virus spread once the quarantine started. It’s very likely  those found to have the virus were infected before quarantine started. 
Moving them would not help them and would risk spreading the virus further and would risk all those involved in the move and caring for them until the end of the quarantine period.

I agree totally.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ace2542 said:

From what is written in the daily mail the quarantine period for the ship may continue for weeks to come as apparently contact with each new case resets the clock.

News outlets don't always get it right, but please do not repeat this inaccurate statement. It has been said repeatedly by the Japanese Health Ministry and by Mr David Abel on the ship, that the time for quarantine is NOT reset with each new case. The Japanese authorities said that people who were in close contact (presumably shared a cabin) with someone who tested positive, would not be released from quarantine on the 19th.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

I also saw this video and agree, it is a problem. They are in 2 cabins and move freely between their balconies without wearing the facemasks.

2 minutes ago, LizNeedsAVacation said:

Let’s hope they have it reported wrong then.

Japan confirms 40 new coronavirus cases linked to cruise ship quarantined off Yokohama

Thirty-nine more passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship and one quarantine officer have tested positive for the new coronavirus, health minister Katsunobu Kato said Wednesday morning. The new cases bring the total linked to the ship to 175. “Out of 53 new test results, 39 people were found positive,” he told reporters, referring to the figure for passengers. He added that: “At this point, we have confirmed that four people, among those who are hospitalized, are in a serious condition, either on a ventilator or in an intensive care unit.”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/12/national/science-health/40-new-coronavirus-cases-cruise-ship-quarantined-japan/#.XkNKmBNKjPA

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LizNeedsAVacation said:

We travel in adjoining with our kids. There is no way in hell I’d be closing that door and leaving them on their own. 
but I realize you are talking about kids. It just wouldn’t occur to me to close off a door that had been open my whole trip. And the mental well being may help the physical well being.

I think this has answered the age old debate of “will I let me kids have their own neighboring (not adjoining) room when they are a little older?”

i am talking about two adult couples.

"At this point, we have confirmed that four people, among those who are hospitalized, are in a serious condition, either on a ventilator or in an intensive care unit.” as state above

This is really so sad.

Edited by kathy49
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Doris&Nereus said:

A group of my friends were on the Pearl TA in April.  Several in that group were sick but didn't report bk they had brought meds from home. They also didn't want to be confined to the cabin. They told me that indeed many more were sick than were reported. They told me that they thought yes over 1000 were sick. And true ,they said that the ship was a ghost town. BTW we almost booked that trip. 

That is horrifying - the people you know who were on the Pearl who had Noro didn't report it because they didn't want to be confined to their cabin. Sorry to say - but that is how it spreads through a ship.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

As posted earlier there have been no announcements on ship regarding new cases since two days ago. If there have been no new cases it would seem that the captain and Princess would so announce. The last news from Princess was on Feb 9. The lack of new announcements leaves me concerned.

The lack of new announcements gives me hope that they might have identified all, or at least most, of those with the virus.

8 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Japan confirms 40 new coronavirus cases linked to cruise ship quarantined off Yokohama

Thirty-nine more passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship and one quarantine officer have tested positive for the new coronavirus, health minister Katsunobu Kato said Wednesday morning. The new cases bring the total linked to the ship to 175. “Out of 53 new test results, 39 people were found positive,” he told reporters, referring to the figure for passengers. He added that: “At this point, we have confirmed that four people, among those who are hospitalized, are in a serious condition, either on a ventilator or in an intensive care unit.”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/12/national/science-health/40-new-coronavirus-cases-cruise-ship-quarantined-japan/#.XkNKmBNKjPA

So horrible.  I was hoping that the lack of an announcement yesterday meant that there wouldn't be many if any new cases. 

This whole quarantine smells like a massive class action lawsuit, I’m willing to bet in time they will be able to prove negligent behavior on behalf of Japan and the cruise line. They should have immediately brought everyone off the ship and into a more secure quarantine facility. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Please read the latest from Princess:  https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/diamond-princess-coronavirus-qa.html
They are doing all that can be humanly done to help in this very unusual situation.  I call out for ALL Princess fans to give a huge thumbs up for all they are doing.  We are scheduled to leave on the Sky in 10 days and just got a call from Princess to ask if we had any questions.  I believe they are going above and beyond to eliminate virus of any kind on board and to alleviate stress of anyone looking to board soon.  Can’t wait to get onboard on Feb 22 on Sky!

• Like 1