Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

10 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

The original passenger 0 who started this tragedy left the ship in Hong Kong 17 days ago, well past the so called 14 incubation period. The new infections have to be from pax to pax if the 14 days is correct.

Passenger 0 did leave the ship 17 days ago, but before he left he probably infected other passengers who did remain on the ship for the next cruise. And, before the quarantine was put in place, they likely infected newly boarded passengers. It is those passengers who are now showing the symptoms.

Not new passenger infections since the quarantine started, just those infected before the quarantine developing the symptoms.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

The only proof, right now, that someone was infected after the quarantine is the ONE quarantine officer.  The rest can be explained 25 days after the last diagnosed/infected person gets off the ship by the logic below:

If the incubation period, where someone can display No Symptoms, is 14 days, then someone who is infected and gets a cough on day 13, can cough on someone while they are outside or cough on their spouse who will inhale the virus droplet.  Then, even of the "cougher" is removed from the ship, the "inhaler" now could also take 13-14 days to show symptoms and on the inhaler's 13th day they could cough in the air and thus you'd have a new "inhaler" and a new 14 day incubation.

There are not enough testing kits and not enough time or resources to test all 3000+ passengers and crew, so waiting out the "known incubation period" is the only way to stop the spread or, if the spread is not stopped, to contain the spread to the ship.

If the new 24 day incubation period for outliers is correct, then 25 days after the last person diagnosed leaves the ship without a new case arising and no one else presenting with symptoms, everyone left on the ship should be clear to travel and virus free.

but each and every one of those passengers thinks they are leaving on Feb. 19th if they don't have fever or symptoms.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Outerdog said:

The ship is at sea to facilitate normal ship's operations, specifically water production (desalination) and ballast operations.

The photos were taken earlier.

Does this also include dumping sewage into the sea?  Seems like it would be a biohazard but what else can they do with it?

I just hope if they start letting certain "groups" of passengers off the ship, that people leave.  David said today they are staying the entire quarantine until Feb 19th even if told they could leave tomorrow.  This is just silly thinking.  I know they are gaining a following, but when anyone is offered to disembark...take the chance.  You never know when/if the Japanese government changes it to a longer quarantine.

I found this article on the Diamond Princess:

Photos inside the Diamond Princess cruise ship, where thousands of passengers have been quarantined for a week because of the coronavirus outbreak
https://news.yahoo.com/photos-inside-di ... 00309.html
In addition you can click on the included twitter sites for more pictures.
The policy (below) doesn't make up for the quarantine, etc.; however, it does appear that Princess is doing the beat that they can given the bad situation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aflyboi22 said:

I just hope if they start letting certain "groups" of passengers off the ship, that people leave.  David said today they are staying the entire quarantine until Feb 19th even if told they could leave tomorrow.  This is just silly thinking.  I know they are gaining a following, but when anyone is offered to disembark...take the chance.  You never know when/if the Japanese government changes it to a longer quarantine.

Letting certain groups off the ship will not be releasing them from quarantine...David knows where hes at on the ship, going off it could leave them in a less favorable situation.

Edited by Te Aroha
spelling
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, aflyboi22 said:

Yes I could not believe he said that...why would you not go and take a flight home? If you did not want to fly until the 14 days then stay at a hotel. In general Japan does not have many cases apart from this situation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Te Aroha said:

Letting certain groups off the ship will not be releasing them from quarantine...David knows where his at on the ship, going off it could leave them in a less favorable situation.

what would be less favorable?  I think the odds on the ship right now are worse than leaving. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Te Aroha said:

Letting certain groups off the ship will not be releasing them from quarantine...David knows where his at on the ship, going off it could leave them in a less favorable situation.

Yes, but people that left the ship because they were positive with the virus and then in turn had 2 negative tests are being allowed to leave the hospital before the quarantine (3 people have left hospital).  I would just want off the ship.  Even if I have to go stay a week at a hotel.

I agree could leave them in a less favorable situation.  Could leave them in a much favorable position as well though if quarantine is extended for any reason.

1 minute ago, aflyboi22 said:

Yes, but people that left the ship because they were positive with the virus and then in turn had 2 negative tests are being allowed to leave the hospital before the quarantine (3 people have left hospital).  I would just want off the ship.  Even if I have to go stay a week at a hotel.

I agree could leave them in a less favorable situation.  Could leave them in a much favorable position as well though if quarantine is extended for any reason.

I almost think testing positive and getting off might be the better situation....mild case...under medical care....test out and go home.  

12 minutes ago, aflyboi22 said:

David said today they are staying the entire quarantine until Feb 19th even if told they could leave tomorrow. 

David has said in earlier videos that he and Sally are afraid if bringing the virus home to their friends and grandkids.  It's a tough situation and a tough emotional burden to bear.  

• Like 2

Just now, SunNFunCruzer said:

David has said in earlier videos that he and Sally are afraid if bringing the virus home to their friends and grandkids.  It's a tough situation and a tough emotional burden to bear.  

He also said regardless of how long they are in Japan they are going to self quarantine when they get home. 

• Like 4

Regardless, I believe it won't come down to a choice.  Princess/Japanese Government will come up with a disembarkation plan for passengers, and a passenger cabin will be called and told to pack and given either updated flight information home, a hotel reservation, or a ride to a new quarantine location.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Katyoparty said:

Does this also include dumping sewage into the sea?  Seems like it would be a biohazard but what else can they do with it?

They do not dump sewage into the sea. Sewage (black water) is filtered and treated until the water is drinkable, then that water is dumped into the sea. Bacteria work to digest what remains, then that is offloaded on shore.

25 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

what would be less favorable?  I think the odds on the ship right now are worse than leaving. Just my opinion.

I agree that the passengers have virtually no chance of contracting the virus after they get off the ship - that is unless they are confined with another passenger who happens to be infected.

The issue is, the passenger might himself/herself already be infected but not showing symptoms. They would then spread the virus into the community. The quarantine is mainly to protect the Japanese people, and the rest of the world, from these 3,700 people, some of whom were infected. So far there are 160-odd cases and we hope there won't be many more, but there could be. They have not passed the end of the (expected) 14-day incubation period. I say 'expected', but this is not known for sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

You have stated this opinion several times, and you are entitled to it. But that is what it is - opinion and you should word it as such. It isn't a fact and many people disagree with you including the people managing this emergency. Yes - I know you don't agree with them, and once more, you are entitled to your opinion.

We will see next week if you are correct in your statement that everyone on the ship contracts the virus. 

Given that a quarantine control officer contracted this we now know to a scientific certainty that transmission has continued since this “quarantine” was started.  Everyone on the ship is not going to contract the virus because no virus has a 100 percent penetration rate like that, and when enough sick people get removed eventually you’ll hit a critical empty mass of people for it to burn out, but this is not good.

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kathy49 said:

this has to be passenger to passenger....or crew to passenger or passenger to crew....it has evolved right on this mini city.

Mini-city?  Try floating incubator.  At this point, I wonder if the quarantine is more to keep the passengers from possibly infecting anyone on shore, rather than those on board.  It's as if the Japanese government is more than willing to sacrifice all 3,700 people on board to this virus and let the chips fall where they may.  I truly feel badly for these people who are trapped.  I understand why there's a quarantine, but that doesn't make it any better, especially for the Diamond passengers and crew.

Edited by K.T.B.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

Given that a quarantine control officer contracted this we now know to a scientific certainty that transmission has continued since this “quarantine” was started.  Everyone on the ship is not going to contract the virus because no virus has a 100 percent penetration rate like that, and when enough sick people get removed eventually you’ll hit a critical empty mass of people for it to burn out, but this is not good.

I agree that we know, as a fact, that one person was infected after the quarantine started. But this does not indicate that passengers isolated in their cabins are infecting each other. That is the key point that many people on here have stated as a fact.

I feel there is greater danger if the remaining approx 3,540 people are removed. In that process, people who currently aren't infected could easily become so as they get close to others. The only way to avoid that would be to kit everyone out in full hazmat gear, or move them one at a time in ambulances. Wow! Why? They are better off where they are.

• Haha 1

It's alarming to hear of the quarantine control officer becoming infected. I would imagine this would be one of the people taking the most precautions and provided with the most protection. If these preventative measures didn't prevent the virus, then what happened? Was protocol not followed, or are the protections just not effective?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

The update mentions air recirculation, and confirms what some people have thought - that air is recirculated, in part, even in cabins.   He mentions that the air goes through filters, that they have turned up the fresh air, and they do not believe the virus is being spread by air recirculation.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree that we know, as a fact, that one person was infected after the quarantine started. But this does not indicate that passengers isolated in their cabins are infecting each other. That is the key point that many people on here have stated as a fact.

I feel there is greater danger if the remaining approx 3,540 people are removed. In that process, people who currently aren't infected could easily become so as they get close to others. The only way to avoid that would be to kit everyone out in full hazmat gear, or move them one at a time in ambulances. Wow! Why? They are better off where they are.

I’m not saying they should be removed, but this appears to have been bungled at the outset.  The crew should all have been quarantined too.   They should not have been delivering food and supplies to passengers and they should not have been preparing food.  Outside workers in hazmat suits should have delivered only supplies from outside the ship.  The news reports from reliable news sources seem to indicate that wasn’t happening at least at the beginning of this.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

So true. His contacts will probably have to go into quarantine.

Imagine how much worse it would be if the remaining 3,550 or so people on the ship were allowed off. It's likely some of them have the virus.

Anyone is fair game on this ship....even the captain and officers.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Everyone onboard deserves our support, as well as all affected by this virus, no matter where they might be.  Thanks Princess for your updates.  Here’s another:  https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/diamond-princess-coronavirus-qa.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

Given that a quarantine control officer contracted this we now know to a scientific certainty that transmission has continued since this “quarantine” was started.  

Just now, Fido Chuckwagon said:

The crew should all have been quarantined too.  

The ship, and the people on it, are in quarantine from Japan. The pax, while confined to their cabins, are not in a state of quarantine from one another. Measures are being taken to reduce the spread of the virus. But there is no quarantine ON the ship.

quarantine: n. a state, period, or place of isolation in which people or animals that have arrived from elsewhere or been exposed to infectious or contagious disease are placed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1