Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

So true. His contacts will probably have to go into quarantine.

Imagine how much worse it would be if the remaining 3,550 or so people on the ship were allowed off. It's likely some of them have the virus.

Don't forget, there's just about 1,000 crew members and staff on board as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

I’m not saying they should be removed, but this appears to have been bungled at the outset.  The crew should all have been quarantined too.   They should not have been delivering food and supplies to passengers and they should not have been preparing food.  Outside workers in hazmat suits should have delivered only supplies from outside the ship.  The news reports from reliable news sources seem to indicate that wasn’t happening at least at the beginning of this.  

Several people of this forum have been, and still are, saying the passengers should have been removed.

We do not know who has been cooking the food, but if it was crew, I think it is likely they wore masks in addition to the usual gloves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sort of got to thinking...right now all passengers are told to report a fever.  They know if they do so they will be tested and possibly removed from the ship if positive. First we have to assume that all are  reporting...some may be even more worried about getting off the ship without their traveling companions.  I hope they are immediately testing the cabin mates of the passengers testing positive.  We have to consider that there are what 170+ cases but that is a very high percentage of those that have actually been tested. I think 400+(or -) or so have been tested. Would be interesting if every passenger were tested how many are positive. I think there are some with symptoms that are simply not reporting.

Edited by kathy49
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

The ship, and the people on it, are in quarantine from Japan. The pax, while confined to their cabins, are not in a state of quarantine from one another. Measures are being taken to reduce the spread of the virus. But there is no quarantine ON the ship.

quarantine: n. a state, period, or place of isolation in which people or animals that have arrived from elsewhere or been exposed to infectious or contagious disease are placed.

true no one is really in isolation...the walking...getting meals and cabin mates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jmulks said:

This whole quarantine smells like a massive class action lawsuit, I’m willing to bet in time they will be able to prove negligent behavior on behalf of Japan and the cruise line. They should have immediately brought everyone off the ship and into a more secure quarantine facility. 

I'm sorry but enough with stupid talk about lawsuits. This virus is still in its infancy with the facts still not clearly known and you want to focus on lawsuits ? Please just stop . 

The ship is foreign land.  Japan didn't even have to let them dock but they did. It's not just because there's Japanese citizens onboard. The Japanese people are very gracious and trying their absolute best to minimize risk for all concerned and help those who have been infected.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I saw a video or photos of what I assumed to be the "quarantine officers" when they first arrived on the ship- scenes from the corridors of passenger decks as they went about taking temperatures. My recollection is that none were wearing N95 masks- all had on the flimsy, ineffective "procedure" masks with ear loops that the general public is wearing in Asia. And they had on gloves. I don't recall seeing any foot coverings or disposable protective gowns on that first day. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I feel sorry for the infected "quarantine officer" if he and his colleagues were told by their public health dept that this was safe attire. It's also easy to picture the officers infecting passengers and crew as they made their rounds on that first day doing the "45 second" interviews and temp taking that David Abel described. It makes me wonder what advice Carnival Corp has been given by the Japanese health authorities. Of course, I would much prefer being in a Japanese hospital than many others around the world- I'm sure everyone is receiving excellent care once they're hospitalized.

Re: the dirty bedding and towels- were passengers given bags to place their soiled linens or did they just dump them outside their cabins? And passengers in interior cabins who got outdoor deck breaks should've been instructed to remove their shoes and leave them outside their cabins when they returned.  Very sad and disturbing for the crew members who were instructed to collect and launder these potentially contaminated items..

There are also reports of diarrhea being a first sign of illness. I'm glad that alcohol wipes for toilet seats and surfaces were finally provided.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

When the number on board has been quoted as 3,700, that included crew. The figures for the Diamond Princess are - passenger capacity of 2,670 and usual crew 1,100.

Thanks for the correction.  Obviously it's been reported incorrectly.  I've seen articles saying "3,700 passengers".

9 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Mini-city?  Try floating incubator.  At this point, I wonder if the quarantine is more to keep the passengers from possibly infecting anyone on shore, rather than those on board.  It's as if the Japanese government is more than willing to sacrifice all 5,000 people on board to this virus and let the chips fall where they may.  I truly feel badly for these people who are trapped.  I understand why there's a quarantine, but that doesn't make it any better, especially for the Diamond passengers and crew.

Of COURSE this quarantine is more to keep passengers on board from infecting anyone on shore!  That’s what a quarantine does—keeps the general public safe from disease.  It is not to keep the passengers on the Diamond safe from Japan!  Princess is doing all it can, under the regulations in place in Japan, to keep passengers as comfortable as possible, and they are doing the best that they possibly can, IMHO.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

It's not semantics. You said that the transmission has continued despite the quarantine. I'm telling you that the virus has not been transmitted outside of the established quarantine.

You can't just call "semantics" because the facts don't fit your narrative.

Whether or not the crew should have been involved in food prep and delivery is another discussion entirely, and a point on which I tend to agree with you.

Unfortunately, that is no longer the case with a quarantine officer being infected now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mellow moog said:

I'm sorry but enough with stupid talk about lawsuits. This virus is still in its infancy with the facts still not clearly known and you want to focus on lawsuits ? Please just stop . 

The ship is foreign land.  Japan didn't even have to let them dock but they did. It's not just because there's Japanese citizens onboard. The Japanese people are very gracious and trying their absolute best to minimize risk for all concerned and help those who have been infected.

I did, for a minute think what if Japan sent them away without helping at all?  I mean Japan has really stepped up in a very difficult situation and potential risk to their citizens.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, K.T.B. said:

Unfortunately, that is no longer the case with a quarantine officer being infected now.

Sure it is.

He (likely?) contracted the virus within the quarantine area. No surprise there.

Maybe he contracted it prior to arrival at the ship? Who knows...

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

You have stated this opinion several times, and you are entitled to it. But that is what it is - opinion and you should word it as such. It isn't a fact and many people disagree with you including the people managing this emergency. Yes - I know you don't agree with them, and once more, you are entitled to your opinion.

We will see next week if you are correct in your statement that everyone on the ship contracts the virus. 

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts so far. I’m on another Aussie travel forum and someone there says he/she has company information that people testing positive now are not amongst the original suspicious cohort, the implication being that it is still being spread amongst the passengers. 

I have searched but have not seen any definitive statement from a reliable source that this is actually the case but had thought that the positive cases were those showing signs at the time of the quarantine. 

Are you able to shed any light?

Edited by Pushka
  • Haha 1

Any word from David and Sally Abel on the Diamond? Have not heard anything from them on YouTube in a few days. I like their positive, plucky attitude. Hope they are ok. Seems to be less individual YouTubes coming from passengers and fewer updates. Could be WiFi overload, hopefully no throttling.

1 minute ago, Tall Valley Cruiser said:

Any word from David and Sally Abel on the Diamond? Have not heard anything from them on YouTube in a few days. I like their positive, plucky attitude. Hope they are ok. Seems to be less individual YouTubes coming from passengers and fewer updates. Could be WiFi overload, hopefully no throttling.

Still on FB but having internet issues so loading videos has been difficult. Posted on FB about an hour ago and all ok. 

Just now, Pushka said:

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts so far. I’m on another Aussie travel forum and someone there says he/she has company information has said that it’s known from a credible source (he states) that people testing positive now are not amongst the original suspicious cohort, the implication being that it is still being spread amongst the passengers. 

I have searched but have not seen any definitive statement from a reliable source that this is actually the case but had thought that the positive cases were those showing signs at the time of the quarantine. 

Are you able to shed any light?

All I can deduce - and this is not from any inside information source - is that the original 273 who were tested were identified by the Japanese Health Ministry as being high risk. They either had known contact with 'patient 0' or already had symptoms. It has been reported that it takes considerable time to complete the tests, so the results came through in dribs and drabs.

I think it is likely that some or all of these later cases of infection, were not among the original 273 people who were considered at risk, but that absolutely does not prove there has been infection from one cabin to another. In fact, the latest statement from the Vice President of Princess states that the US CDC believes that there has been no transmission from one cabin to another.

After the quarantine was put in place, passengers (and presumably crew) were told to report symptoms. Then themometers were distributed and people asked to take their temps regularly and report an elevated temp. We have to assume that the later cases of the virus were from people who had been infected earlier, most likely from other pax who were infected but not showing symptoms. When they themselves showed symptoms, they reported as requested. It is likely there will be more to come.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

I'd definitely cruise again.  Though, after this, I'd never book an inside cabin the rest of my life!

We've never done an inside. We cruise less frequently so we can grab the balcony. I said to my husband, "If I ever suggest getting and inside so we can go sooner, remind me of this."

I feel for everyone on board, but, definitely feel it in my gut more for the crew & inside cabins. When I heard they had internet so they could stream at leisure, I felt better. I'm hearing now that the internet is bad.

With good internet, I could binge watch a few shows on my "hopefully one day," list, and I'd get through it as best I could.

This will not deter us from cruising anymore than this will deter us from going to the store. I'm sure a shopping cart is way nastier than a hand rail on a cruise ship.

Life is dangerous, but living as if death is around the corner only assures that it is.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Sort of got to thinking...right now all passengers are told to report a fever.  They know if they do so they will be tested and possibly removed from the ship if positive. First we have to assume that all are  reporting...some may be even more worried about getting off the ship without their traveling companions.  I hope they are immediately testing the cabin mates of the passengers testing positive.  We have to consider that there are what 170+ cases but that is a very high percentage of those that have actually been tested. I think 400+(or -) or so have been tested. Would be interesting if every passenger were tested how many are positive. I think there are some with symptoms that are simply not reporting.

Seems some are not getting tested even with a fever...is the system maybe getting overwhelmed?

This from a passenger on the ship:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

You are absolutely right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

All I can deduce - and this is not from any inside information source - is that the original 273 who were tested were identified by the Japanese Health Ministry as being high risk. They either had known contact with 'patient 0' or already had symptoms. It has been reported that it takes considerable time to complete the tests, so the results came through in dribs and drabs.

I think it is likely that some or all of these later cases of infection, were not among the original 273 people who were considered at risk, but that absolutely does not prove there has been infection from one cabin to another. In fact, the latest statement from the Vice President of Princess states that the US CDC believes that there has been no transmission from one cabin to another.

After the quarantine was put in place, passengers (and presumably crew) were told to report symptoms. Then themometers were distributed and people asked to take their temps regularly and report an elevated temp. We have to assume that the later cases of the virus were from people who had been infected earlier, most likely from other pax who were infected but not showing symptoms. When they themselves showed symptoms, they reported as requested. It is likely there will be more to come.

Thankyou. The person I am referring to has just now given the dates that the Quarantine Person was onboard the ship and back in the office, and when the fever struck and when he went to the Dr.   If the dates are correct, and we have no way of knowing that, it is possible he has blurted something that isn’t in the public domain as yet. Well, maybe it is now! 🤭

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Seems some are not getting tested even with a fever...is the system maybe getting overwhelmed?

This from a passenger on the ship:

the above message is extremely concerning....clearly they are having a hard time keeping up with all the reports...this man needs to go to a hospital with symptoms like that...could be anything. Not swabbed yet? Two days ago? Oh I imagine there is so much going on we don't know.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Thankyou. The person I am referring to has just now given the dates that the Quarantine Person was onboard the ship and back in the office, and when the fever struck and when he went to the Dr.   If the dates are correct, and we have no way of knowing that, it is possible he has blurted something that isn’t in the public domain as yet. Well, maybe it is now! 🤭

That's interesting. The only dates I have read are that 'passenger 0' was in China on 10th January and that he flew to Tokyo on the 17th and had a cough on the 19th. He was on the ship from the 20th to the 25th. He went to a doctor on the 30th. I have seen no reference to his medical condition after that.

When you say "back in the office" who would that be?