Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

26 minutes ago, LizNeedsAVacation said:

This is all I know for certain.

I do not envy anyone involved with this. Not the passengers on board. Not the crew. Not the Princess executives trying to figure out what the heck to do. Not the doctors and nurses hoping to keep people healthy. And not the Japanese government faced with balancing the health needs of everyone on board and on shore. The weight put on all these people’s shoulders is crazy. 

Now... is anyone else confused by the pictures of food? I’m not talking about the confusion about who is preparing it. But some passengers (assuming no one is faking it) are posting pictures of packages things like cup of noodles. And others like David Abel are showing menus and somewhat fancy prepared foods. Are people getting different food???

yes I too noticed that although the photos that david showed were a few days back and frankly did not look that great...but I think they are probably all are now being served in disposable which no doubt should have happened long ago.

16 minutes ago, LizNeedsAVacation said:

This is all I know for certain.

I do not envy anyone involved with this. Not the passengers on board. Not the crew. Not the Princess executives trying to figure out what the heck to do. Not the doctors and nurses hoping to keep people healthy. And not the Japanese government faced with balancing the health needs of everyone on board and on shore. The weight put on all these people’s shoulders is crazy. 

Now... is anyone else confused by the pictures of food? I’m not talking about the confusion about who is preparing it. But some passengers (assuming no one is faking it) are posting pictures of packages things like cup of noodles. And others like David Abel are showing menus and somewhat fancy prepared foods. Are people getting different food???

Offering cup of noodles is probably one of the offerings that Princess is making to every guest.  Great item to have in your cabin since it only requires hot water and they have a kettle.  Allows one to eat at any time during the day. My husband would probably be living on these if we were on the ship!

I'm seeing lots of pictures of the food.  Some looks better than others but then again, some people have such strict dietary requirements due to things like gluten issues, etc. so it's not going to look the same.  

I'm with you on your sentiments.  I don't envy anyone on board nor anyone having to deal with this situation as it's truly a first.  I'm in awe of the passengers and how they are handing things and  I'm in complete awe of the crew who as always are placing the needs of passengers above their own. I always say that there is nothing better than the crew on Princess.  

• Like 4

The frustrating internet as the days go along must be really getting to people...it essentially is their lifeline.

Most that were reporting have cut back and don't even try...sometimes it takes David Abel 4 connections to finish his live stream.

5 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

Plus

'In addition, all reasonable charges to your onboard account for this voyage will be cleared. You will not incur any other charges during the quarantine period.'

crew bar ?

what does Princess cover for the crew, and what charges onboard does the crew have to pay ?

I have no clue how that works, obviously ...

Also the mental health of passengers is of major concern...what David reports above about passengers yelling out has been reported elsewhere....when David was streaming yesterday there was some sort of heated exchange in the next cabin...they shut their balcony door but I could tell this is not the first time...people are at breaking points...you have many on there that have issues even on a good day...this is no doubt too much for them....too much for anyone.

• Like 7

The internet is an interesting one. They normally don’t have everyone on the ship buying the internet package, much less trying to live stream and stream videos. 

I know they have some IT people on the ship but (as an IT person myself) I always assumed it was a small crew for troubleshooting and not equipped to upgrade to that demand. They aren’t going to be letting people from outside into that quarantine just to upgrade the system. 

It’s also a double edged sword. They need that connection as a way to connect to the outside world. But with that comes all the rumors and false info that makes it harder to deal.

imagine you are on and come to a board similar to this where a ton of people are putting out there doomsday level theories about your survival. 😞

18 minutes ago, LizNeedsAVacation said:

The internet is an interesting one. They normally don’t have everyone on the ship buying the internet package, much less trying to live stream and stream videos.

Conversely, in my experience (which doesn't include Asia), ship internet connectivity is usually much better when in port. I guess that might not be the case now (or when they go out to take on fresh water), or the availability of streaming services is affecting it. 

this pertains to communication in all forms....on the walk video some were talking on their phones and there was mention that they could not get proper signals in their cabins...maybe inside.  People simply have to be able to communicate.  I do think that virtually everyone is on the internet which probably never happens at other times on a ship...but wondering what happened between a few days ago and now....actually there are 179+ less people using it.

maybe it would be less frustrating for people if people were asked to connect at given times and not to exceed say 30 minutes?  If it is just an overload with all the videos etc. but then people wanting to watch movies etc. would not be able to do so. Not a clue what the answer is but I know I would be going crazy if my only lifeline went down every 10 minutes or so.  Absent the internet (true and not so true reports) the outside world would have no way to know what is going on. On a lighter note I imagine many will be contacted as Lifetime or Netflix puts together there movie about this event.

It would be great if a link is supplied to news articles, things like David Abel and all other passengers involved who are so graciously sharing their stores with us, even all things related to Princess rather than a cut & paste of his reports and articles.  (I know run on sentence! LOL)

It also makes sure that posts follow the guidelines  and ensures that nothing is lost in translation as they say!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, matadams4u said:

This is important to note.  I am pretty certain this incident will turn into a very interesting case study.  For those arguing over perspectives - let me share my experience at the University of Chicago working my way through college in the morgue at Billings Hospital with two of the most noted pathologists in the country at the time (1977 to 1978).  One became the coroner for Chicago and one became the head of pathology at UCSF.

There were procedures in place for handling contagious cases and I can assure you these procedures would now be considered primitive.  However, both had written papers with completely opposite protocols on how to handle contagious cases.  Of course, since my job was the one with the most patient contact - I was the one at the most risk and I had to follow the protocol of the supervising pathologist.

Even among experts there are diverging views on things and this experience will open up studies examining any number of aspects.  Quite frankly, many of the disagreements on this thread will probably be examined in the months and possibly years to come.  Fortunately, I never contracted anything except the lesson of understanding that even experts disagree and can be very passionate about their viewpoints.

This is very true. And it is frustrating. 

when you think back it was about 8 or so days ago...that they went into quarantine...the initial reaction and quarantaine were much more lax than today...ie I think passengers were answering the door with no mask and probably talking to the crew...passengers just got wipes this week etc. etc. in other words at first it was more lax.. Even on the balconies people are still talking to each other with no masks....droplets can be released as you talk...I think many cases were transmitted at that time...now a week later numbers are still high.....there is even talk that maybe some of the quarantine gear etc. is simply not adequate for this specific virus. Experts are all over the map...Japan is a sophisticated country but I think any country would be at a loss with this situation.

My heart goes out to the 4 in crit condition possibly on the vent. 

I do wonder how many ppl on the ship got the flu shot this year and if it has any protective benefits for Covid19. That's for the epidemiologists to figure out though. Appreciate their smarts and brains.

• Like 1