Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

28 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

You have no way of knowing one way or another, what you posted is simply your own assumption.

When I said :

It is likely the infection levels will rise on the Diamond, but not because of new infections. People who became infected before the isolation quarantine was put in place on 3rd February, are now testing positive. There is no indication that these are new infections.

it is not my assumption. This is what the Japanese Health Ministry said a couple of days ago. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, perditax said:

My first gut reaction was that the ship must be locking down internet to prevent passengers from reporting to the media, but on the other hand, 3000 extremely bored people could be killing the connection with Netflix and such. 

they can order things to be delivered too...but interesting that today is so limited with the internet.

2 minutes ago, perditax said:

My first gut reaction was that the ship must be locking down internet to prevent passengers from reporting to the media, but on the other hand, 3000 extremely bored people could be killing the connection with Netflix and such. 

Yea I’m sure it’s just overload. Our friend actually did a FaceTime call with a Chinese news site for 11 minutes. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

You have no way of knowing one way or another, what you posted is simply your own assumption.

Well, their comment also sounds very logical to me given that Princess isolated over 250 at risk people from the get go. 

David Abel got cut off in his video of Tuesday...however he did say the captain had indicated he would be back with an announcement soon.  So what is that announcement? Hopefully David can get back on internet to share with us. He thought it might be about the end of the quarantine on Feb. 19th.

22 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Mr Abel said in one of his earlier videos that one of his table mates had tested positive to the virus and left the ship for hospital.

As well as one of the occupants of the balcony cabin next to his. He's literally been surrounded by infected people.  His staying healthy, at his age, I'd take as a good sign.  And so far, so good, except for the dry cough that seems to be from the AC.

10 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

As well as one of the occupants of the balcony cabin next to his. He's literally been surrounded by infected people.  His staying healthy, at his age, I'd take as a good sign.  And so far, so good, except for the dry cough that seems to be from the AC.

oh I did not realize the neighbor also tested positive...I have seen much cross balcony talk going on with some being very close...and they did not have masks on.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

oh I did not realize the neighbor also tested positive...I have seen much cross balcony talk going on with some being very close...and they did not have masks on.

Yes, below is a link to a youtube channel with all his videos, and just today's video. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBs-M0p8pDy1yIQgatSE2-w

• Like 1

I find myself pretty nervous about this virus but have to realize that there is a lot that we don't know.   We will all feel pretty stupid if it turns out that there are a lot of false positives from the brand new and untested virus detection procedure that the scientists came up with.   There is no evidence of that at this point, but there is not much evidence so far for some of the worst case super virus attributes that it may seem to have (asymptomatic transmission, fomite transmission, very long incubation time).   Realize that the scientists and epidemiologists have to assume the worst case scenarios based on the evidence, since under preparing is worse than over preparing (although there are some definite social harms to China's response at this point, whether or not they are warranted.)

We do know that it is contagious among humans  (exactly how is not clear but you can definitely get it in social situations)  and can lead to really poor outcomes in some (unclear) percentage of people and a fairly unpleasant time for a lot of people.    I have been scanning the papers (I have a background in research but not medical research) and in my opinion the honest answer to many of the most important questions is "we don't know yet, but people are working hard on figuring that out."

Edited by NorthwestCruiser

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Originally they said the option to walk on deck was for people without balconies.

They did let balcony cabins out one day - David Abel posted a video on FB, however he's now saying that they are giving inside cabins priority on the outside time and have reduced the time from 90 minutes to 60 minutes so that more people can get out more often. Very sensible!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They did let balcony cabins out one day - David Abel posted a video on FB, however he's now saying that they are giving inside cabins priority on the outside time and have reduced the time from 90 minutes to 60 minutes so that more people can get out more often. Very sensible!

It did surprise me that people with balconies were allowed onto the decks when you consider the inside cabins predicament. I think I’d be in a straitjacket by now!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

I find myself pretty nervous about this virus but have to realize that there is a lot that we don't know.   We will all feel pretty stupid if it turns out that there are a lot of false positives from the brand new and untested virus detection procedure that the scientists came up with.   There is no evidence of that at this point, but there is not much evidence so far for some of the worst case super virus attributes that it may seem to have (asymptomatic transmission, fomite transmission, very long incubation time).   Realize that the scientists and epidemiologists have to assume the worst case scenarios based on the evidence, since under preparing is worse than over preparing (although there are some definite social harms to China's response at this point, whether or not they are warranted.)

We do know that it is contagious among humans  (exactly how is not clear but you can definitely get it in social situations)  and can lead to really poor outcomes in some (unclear) percentage of people and a fairly unpleasant time for a lot of people.    I have been scanning the papers (I have a background in research but not medical research) and in my opinion the honest answer to many of the most important questions is "we don't know yet, but people are working hard on figuring that out."

You may be interested in https://www.thelancet.com/coronavirus?dgcid=kr_pop-up_tlcoronavirus20

7 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Edit: that said, I do not believe the infected/death report rates out of China (I believe both are much higher), but, my understanding is that their health care system is closer to third world (especially under current circumstances)  than first like the US/Germany/UK/Japan, so where you are receiving care could affect mortality rate.

IDK if that is true. Lots of big medical studies come out of China. They are able to erect (lol) hospitals in a matter of days. That sounds more like developed country than developing country status if you ask me. But I am an American doctor and don't practice in China. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

Not quite. A study by the NIH stated that there were 1,583,073 hospital beds in Japan. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4807930/

Flooding any country with 3.5k patients at once will overwhelm anyone. that kind of bandwidth would be insane admitting all those pts. 

I have actually cared for pts during disasters in the hosp setting. It's not as easy as 3.5k pts can be distributed to 1.5 mil beds. I also sit on my hosp committee dealing with infections. It's easier said than done. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

PCR is pretty reliable. I don't sensitivies or specificities on me, but they are usually very accurate. 

57 minutes ago, milolii said:

Ok flame me!  I want all citizens of all nations on board the Diamond Princess cared for including crew!  I can’t tell other countries what to do.  But  I can demand  the US State Department get it together and bring the 428 Americans home.  Work out the quarantine  and health care for our citizens.   It won’t be easy, but do it!  Protect and Defend. 

Sadly our US government has said they will NOT be sending any evacuations to help the US citizens onboard and are letting Japan set the rules. So the poor passengers and crew are left to sit there as more and more cases are being reported yet MOST of them haven't even been tested! I think Princess is handling it as best they can as they are also at Japan's mercy but there are some really poor decisions being made that I fear will end up with results no one wants in the end.

14 minutes ago, milolii said:

Yes, sad, but I keep trying. Thanks for your thoughts. Kudos to Princess, crew suffering awful. Agree, outcomes uncertain. Odd not all  passengers have been tested. 

Because it’s impossible to test 4000 people multiple times over a 14 day period. 

• Like 6