Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

10 minutes ago, npcl said:

That's funny in April 2019 the total number of cases did not even get to the level requiring report to the CDC (it is not in the CDC list of cruise ship outbreaks) which is 3% or more of passengers. Since the Pearl is around a 2400 capacity ship the reporting limit would have been 72 passengers.  Quite a bit less than the 1,000 you are stating.  a bit of hyperbole it seems.

It was a hell of a lot of people. The piano bar was empty the show was empty the hallways empty by halfway point for a couple of night bare in mind 48 quarantine. I was under it for 48 hours no one in the club had it but me had it 25 of us younger people in the club. Captain said 400 cases at least I say more than that perhaps. There was also something about lettuce in america being bad and maybe it came on board that way. They also did the irish immigration check in the spinnaker lounge during the outbreak. No wonder people got ill. Check my post history view the roll call for the meetup. I was having a really good time in bliss

Edited by ace2542

Just now, ace2542 said:

It was a hell of a lot of people. The piano bar was empty the show was empty the hallways empty by halfway point for a couple of night bare in mind 48 quarantine. I was under it for 48 hours no one in the club had it but me 25 of us younger people in the club. Captain said 400 cases at least I say more than that perhaps. There was also something about lettuce in america being bad and maybe it came on board that way. They also did the irish immigration check in the spinnaker lounge during the outbreak. No wonder people got ill.

I fall back on the law which requires cruise ship outbreaks of over 3% to be tracked and recorded.  Princess ships go code red anytime they have more than 5 case.  I would suspect that with the lack of a report that the number was more like 40, not 400.

I had no idea that Cruise Critic had so many experts in contagious diseases and proper quarantine procedures! We are so lucky.  That said, you should be on the phone with the authorities in charge, including the clearly unqualified people at the WHO and explain to them why they are wrong. 

• Like 19
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

i think that is really bad and if Thailand really won't take them I have to wonder if US government could step in. I think there are a fair amount of US passengers and all they need to do is get flights...but I guess that is an issue from Guam.

Thailand has agreed to take the Westerdam. I however would not be eager to share a plane with the passengers.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22423-westerdam-cleared-for-thailand-disembarkation.html

5 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Some will have PTSD and some will not cruise again.

I suspect many will not cruise again.

If the outbreak spreads outside of China, I will not board a ship until it spreads enough to be considered to be pervasive and the quarantines have stopped.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

and 2 deaths in 1011 have occurred outside china. Why? No one knows and I won't speculate on a public forum though I think there is more this virus than meets the eye lets leave at that shall we.

Thing is China is overwhelmed already. Which leads to declining healthcare. I done care what city you are in anywhere in the world. If you have 35000 people showing up at the hospital, 25% of which are critical, you have a major problem.

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

Just saw a story from China saying they might raise their gestation estimate to around 24 days, many of which the patient is quite contagious. That is indeed very bad news, and our best hope is that those following the entire life of the virus can develop an intervention. That will mean live testing possible vaccines, among other possibilities. I fear some terrible measures may be contemplated in China and as fear grows, other countries as well. 

I have been hopeful till now that they were understanding somewhat and things would move apace. But I admit my fears are growing. Well, we shall see, but my fear of the disease is still less than my fear of panic reactions by those in power. And I mean worldwide.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kmkub said:

I had no idea that Cruise Critic had so many experts in contagious diseases and proper quarantine procedures! We are so lucky.  That said, you should be on the phone with the authorities in charge, including the clearly unqualified people at the WHO and explain to them why they are wrong. 

Used to work with them, now retired. Though more with MHW, HPB Canada,EMEA and the US. Then more from the medicines. Keep in mind that when it comes to outbreaks WHO is mostly an advisory organization that can provide expertise and help countries, but the actual control is with the Health organization of each country.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

yeah I know but it is a situation where some of these people could have lasting effects over and above the virus.

Princess should do more the passengers on board. If I was cruise director and if was practical to do so. I would put the show on in an empty theatre and broadcast it in the cabin if practical to do so. Then I would have the DJ in the club play his nightly set and put that on the cabin tv. Then the piano player and so on so forth. Give the passengers something to see on the TV to pass the time. Maybe what I have said would not work but maybe it could.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, generichandle said:

Just saw a story from China saying they might raise their gestation estimate to around 24 days, many of which the patient is quite contagious. That is indeed very bad news, and our best hope is that those following the entire life of the virus can develop an intervention. That will mean live testing possible vaccines, among other possibilities. I fear some terrible measures may be contemplated in China and as fear grows, other countries as well. 

I have been hopeful till now that they were understanding somewhat and things would move apace. But I admit my fears are growing. Well, we shall see, but my fear of the disease is still less than my fear of panic reactions by those in power. And I mean worldwide.

That makes it far far worse.  14 days was bad enough. Far worse than the 7 with MERS.

Makes one wonder if the virus can go dormant for periods of time only to pop  up later on.

Considering that we are are only 3 months into this makes one wonder what bad news will pop up next.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

Used to work with them, now retired. Though more with MHW, HPB Canada,EMEA and the US. Then more from the medicines. Keep in mind that when it comes to outbreaks WHO is mostly an advisory organization that can provide expertise and help countries, but the actual control is with the Health organization of each country.

It was obvious you worked "in the industry" by your posts. Thanks for your input on this thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

Princess should do more the passengers on board. If I was cruise director and if was practical to do so. I would put the show on in an empty theatre and broadcast it in the cabin if practical to do so. Then I would have the DJ in the club play his nightly set and put that on the cabin tv. Then the piano player and so on so forth. Give the passengers something to see on the TV to pass the time. Maybe what I have said would not work but maybe it could.

According to the information they have increased the satellite channels available, the number of movies, done some local programming etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, npcl said:

My sarcasm was aimed at all the posters claiming they know better than the Japanese MoH and the WHO. I don't believe you've been doing that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, npcl said:

That makes it far far worse.  14 days was bad enough. Far worse than the 7 with MERS.

Makes one wonder if the virus can go dormant for periods of time only to pop  up later on.

Considering that we are are only 3 months into this makes one wonder what bad news will pop up next.

The NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt reported the same, 24 days now instead of 14. I have been trying to find a source from the medical community but so far no luck

14 minutes ago, generichandle said:

Lastest from WHO

The WHO said in a press conference on February 10 that:

a very long incubation period could reflect a double exposure.

24 days represented an outlying observation that must be taken into consideration in the context of the main finding of the study.

WHO is not considering changing recommendations regarding incubation periods.

It is apparently from a new paper that has not been peer reviewed yet.  WHO is sticking with 14 days for now.

4 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Passengers don't have the ability to open the balcony. The room stewards do that upon agreement from all cabins, usually one day 1 of the cruise. Maybe they got guidance that it was okay to leave those open for those travelling together. I doubt they forgot, but I guess that is also possible.

The balcony connecting door was opened on day one of the cruise per the video.

i think Gay Courter is reporting that overnight more cases and ambulances...I think it is right now Monday night in US. She is hopeful US government will get the 400+ Americans off...not sure when her interview was...she might be talking about last night.  I think she is working hard to get another option and has medical people telling her you don't quarantine sick people with well people and there are still no doubt many cases on there.

Edited by kathy49

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Have you seen the video taken in one of the Chinese pop-up hospitals? 20 cots in a room with only about two feet between the cots. Portable toilets are outside the building 200 metres away. A person there reported that there is no hot water and no treatment offered. I would rather stay on the Diamond Princess with my own space, my own bathroom and some activities such as TV/movies etc available.

Is this where they are taking the people removed from the ship?

Those poor people on the ship must be getting very anxious and yet they are not Halfway  through and maybe not even 1/4 through if they increase from 14 days.

They must now all feel like sitting ducks. I think I would still rather be on the ship with loved ones vs being separated and one taken off to what kind of conditions alone. It is all very hard to understand with each new diagnosis does that increase the clock, if so it could in fact be months. Can a person get it once recover and get it again, do they even know the answer. 

My Prayers and thoughts are with every person on that ship.   

9 minutes ago, npcl said:

The WHO said in a press conference on February 10 that:

a very long incubation period could reflect a double exposure.

24 days represented an outlying observation that must be taken into consideration in the context of the main finding of the study.

For whatever it is worth:

"Medical researchers in China have found the incubation period for coronavirus ranges up to 24 days — 10 days longer than experts previously thought. 

The research was co-authored by Dr Zhong Nanshan, who discovered the SARS coronavirus in 2003 and has been appointed as a leading advisor in managing the current coronavirus crisis.

Current advice from health organisations and ministries say the virus’ incubation period is as long as 14 days, based on the incubation period of previous MERS viruses."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-incubation-period-symptoms-china-sars-length-days-time-a9326591.html

"The study finds that the average incubation period of the virus is 3 days but that it can take as little as one day and as long as 24 days for a patient to develop symptoms."

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3874223

"New research based on data gathered from more than 1,000 coronavirus patients in China found that the incubation period for the virus was as long as 24 days rather than the previously believed 14 days, and fewer than half of the patients showed fever symptoms when they first saw doctors.

The study, produced by at least three dozen researchers from Chinese hospitals and medical schools led by Dr Zhong Nanshan, a Chinese epidemiologist who discovered the Sars coronavirus in 2003, showed that much is still unknown about the deadly virus named 2019-nCoV.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/coronavirus-new-study-finds-incubation-period-of-up-to-24-days

The source, Dr. Zhong Nanshan, appears reliable but time will tell.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

i think Gay Courter is reporting that overnight more cases and ambulances...I think it is right now Monday night in US. She is hopeful US government will get the 400+ Americans off...not sure when her interview was...she might be talking about last night.  I think she is working hard to get another option and has medical people telling her you don't quarantine sick people with well people and there are still no doubt many cases on there.

They are not quarantining well people with sick people. They are removing the sick people as soon as they are identified. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Yes, I saw the interview she did with CNN a short while ago.  It sent a chill up my spine when she talked about the ambulances starting to assemble again and the firetrucks positioning to block the view of the media.  Such a sad situation they are in.

• Like 2