Dress Code-Newbie

cruisekitty22

This link should help. Look at the "cruise casual" and "cruise elegant" sections. https://www.carnival.com/help/1093

MDR meals are much less formal than they used to be. For elegant nights, a pair of khakis or slacks and a button-up shirt will suffice nowadays. There are some guys who will just wear a collared, polo style shirt on elegant night instead of a button-up.

Tell your DH don't worry about it, and you can eat in the MDR. Some people love getting dressed up while others don't. I am in the category where I don't. Ignore the fashion police. He doesn't have to dress up. I wear cargo shorts / polo / sandals each night and the 2 elegant nights I wear jeans, a polo and tennis shoes and I am dressed up more than quite a few people. 

• Like 2

Anyone who has sailed on Carnival in the last few years has likely witnessed the dress code is there is no dress code. I have seen everything in the MDR on elegant nights from tuxedos to gym shorts, tee shirts and a hat. This topic is frequently debated on this site, but the bottom line, at least based on my experience, is Carnival staff no longer enforces the MDR dress code like they did in the past. 

A little search on these boards you will find all the info you need. 

Most people know how to dress for MDR dining. Whether it be elegant night or whatever. Times are changing for sure when it comes to attire for MDR. Just dont wear shorts and a t-shirt......😎

8 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Anyone who has sailed on Carnival in the last few years has likely witnessed the dress code is there is no dress code. I have seen everything in the MDR on elegant nights from tuxedos to gym shorts, tee shirts and a hat. This topic is frequently debated on this site, but the bottom line, at least based on my experience, is Carnival staff no longer enforces the MDR dress code like they did in the past. 

I have seen many shorts on formal night and never saw anyone get turned away. I'm not saying that they won't be I'm just saying I have never seen anyone turned away. I'm also not saying that it is right to ignore dress code,I;m just stating what I see.

Laura

I've never really paid much attention to what others are wearing in the dining room unless it's particularly stricking in some way (utterly beautiful, garish pattern and/or color, simply on point styling, or things like a man so large he couldn't button his overalls).  But did it in anyway alter my enjoyment, no, more often brought a grin and the thought of "you go for it!"  

Elegant night can be as simple colored jeans and a collared shirt for the gents, and a dress or dressier top/pants for ladies. Be you, but more you

• Like 1

"Be you, but more you"...I like that.  IMHO, those who don't want to even make an attempt at dialing it up a bit should leave the formal nights for those who do and let them enjoy their "prom" lol.  I never go because I don't want to pack the dressier clothes just for two hours of dining but respect that some really enjoy what once was a special occasion, not so much anymore.  Maybe its time to do away with formal nights and do something different...masquerade might be fun?  

This is true of just about all the major cruise lines.  The days of alleged "elegant" night has passed long ago when business and formal attire fell out of fashion.  Every once in a great while a thread like this pops up, but not nearly as often as even a couple of years ago.

I think those who don't insist that you dress like them, regardless of venue or night, are the happiest on a cruise.

• Like 2

Funny - you see people in Tuxedos sitting right next to a group of people all I. Bermuda shorts and loud shirts. I don’t think people care, but I think some of the old-timers will give you funny looks if you come in dressed in something less than quasi formal attire. 

Everyone does what works for them! 

The good thing is on formal nights they still use tablecloth so if you come in dressed inappropriately just drape yourself!

We've done tuxedo & full length gown on elegant night & we've also done jeans with a nice top (hubby wore button down shirt).  The only time I've seen the staff balk was when our friend had on cargo shorts.  We did convince them to let us in and of course, once he sat down, no one could see anything but his shirt anyway.  I think people are more casual in their dress these days & with luggage fees, they sure don't want to take any more than absolutely necessary.  As to those who say you can eat elsewhere if you don't want to dress up - when the same food is served elsewhere, that is an option.  However, if I want lobster on elegant night, I have to eat in the dining room.  I will be freshly showered & neat, but possibly not exactly elegant.

Good point about Luggage fees.  These days, all I want to take is a rollaboard and a backpack....both of which I can carry one.  To pay for a checked bag with all sorts of suits, tuxes, dress shoes, gowns, heels, etc is something most, if not all, don’t want to do.  Plus, no one wants that added expense, and literally, the extra baggage.

25 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Good point about Luggage fees.  These days, all I want to take is a rollaboard and a backpack....both of which I can carry one.  To pay for a checked bag with all sorts of suits, tuxes, dress shoes, gowns, heels, etc is something most, if not all, don’t want to do.  Plus, no one wants that added expense, and literally, the extra baggage.

While I understand your point, don’t make the assumption that everyone feels the same way you do. We are friends with two different couples who dress up every night of the cruise, not just on elegant nights. Additionally, as others have mentioned in countless threads on this site, you always see people dressed up in tuxedos, suits, dresses, etc. on elegant nights on every cruise. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

While I understand your point, don’t make the assumption that everyone feels the same way you do. We are friends with two different couples who dress up every night of the cruise, not just on elegant nights. Additionally, as others have mentioned in countless threads on this site, you always see people dressed up in tuxedos, suits, dresses, etc. on elegant nights on every cruise. 

I've always been a believer that you should dress as you want.  I won't chastise anyone for dressing in a tux or gown.  I prefer not to (as it's been a long time since cruising was considered an "elegant" affair).  Don't get me wrong.  I used to do that.  Once the acceptable mores of dress on a cruise ship changed several years ago.

It has saved me the luggage costs, not having to drag around big(ger) pieces of luggage, and I'm more comfortable.

If someone wants to dress up, I'm OK with that.  It doesn't bother me.