Can Hubby Bring His Guitar?

smogfarmgirl

I have read the comments and still feel that it would be a positive happening.  Spur of the moment. It encourages singing along, meeting new people and chilling out for awhile.  It might be the most memorable afternoon spent on one's vacation.  I think an outdoor venue would be great.  Calming music, beautiful ocean views, maybe a glass of wine....or bottle!!!  Blue skys and calm seas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I confess I have to smile following this thread , on the full charter Jazz Cruise guests who are musicians are encourage to bring their instruments to take part in the free workshops that the professional artists hold during the full days at sea and the late night midnight jam sessions where the musical director tries to find a spot for everyone to sit in at least one number with the artists if possible and the impromptu karaoke sessions in the side smaller lounges 

just a thought for the original poster to consider for future cruises 

I confess I have to smile following this thread , on the full charter Jazz Cruise guests who are musicians are encourage to bring their instruments to take part in the free workshops that the professional artists hold during the full days at sea and the late night midnight jam sessions where the musical director tries to find a spot for everyone to sit in at least one number with the artists if possible and the impromptu karaoke sessions in the side smaller lounges 

Edited by hattack
duplicate posting
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hattack said:

Thanks! I think that might drive ME insane, though!😂

LOL... I hear you...the silence of the ship after 9 pm would drive ME insane ..one does not select and pay a premium for a full music charter cruise expecting a quiet restful cruise ( veterans will stay on board during port calls and sleep all day to rest up for the fast pace nightly till 0300 am concert  schedule )..however we did a European Barge Cruise in the South of France in 2009 and loved the slow laid back and quiet intimate vessel with the other 18 guests ..the older I become in cruising years, the less I am a fan of the 5000+ Mega Ships where the cruise lines try to offer enough options to please everyone 

the full charter music cruises that I have sailed on have  about an 80% guest return rate every year so it's like a homecoming which makes the cruise like a annual family reunion ..the Ship's Dining & Housekeeping staff really love hosting the music charters because it makes their lives so much easier because the schedule is driven by the concerts (plus they are music fans also so everyone is pretty mellow )..Guest Service Desks love mini concerts in the Atrium that keeps their workload much lighter 

I've been away from these Boards for a long spell but even a cursory glance at these threads reminded me that as long as the water is smooth, the concerts on time Jazz folks are pretty mellow by nature, so we are happy ..a missed port of call means an extra full day at sea lagniappe more music 

my first cruise was in 1975 out of NYC on the Oceanic to Bermuda which was very monolithic in the demographic make up

of the cruisers and the on board activities offered during the day and the entertainment at night ..every once in a while I look at pictures from that cruise and am amaze at the

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sailfish said:

My husband can plug his earphones into his acoustic travel guitar. Only he can hear it. He's never had any issues but many people are curious. 

I thought acoustic guitar meant no amplification?  How do you not hear the strumming from the outside?

37 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

I thought acoustic guitar meant no amplification?  How do you not hear the strumming from the outside?

It's got an electric pick-up via battery. You hear nothing. It's made for travel. My husband has another acoustic travel guitar that also has a pickup for an amplifier but seldom takes that one. The travel guitar he takes on a cruise has a neck that folds down and fits into a backpack. It's awesome. 

2 hours ago, Sailfish said:

My husband can plug his earphones into his acoustic travel guitar. Only he can hear it. He's never had any issues but many people are curious. 

That is really cool and a great solution! 

I am really not a fan of guitar-playing on the balcony (or beach), but I wouldn't complain about it or give a sideways glance. I understand that people enjoy themselves in different ways. That being said, guitar-playing in a lobby or more lively area would be welcome and fun!

Even though I've played for decades, I wouldn't want someone playing guitar on the balcony.  That inhibits the peaceful environment.  His choice of music may not be mine.  He should go to the Lawn Club or a public outside place to play.

We once had a girl practicing for Voice of the Ocean on Princess on her balcony.  I know why her parents made her practice outside.  She was horrible.  Loud screeching for an hour really got old.  When she stopped, everyone cheered (for the peace, not for the performance).  😁

Interesting topic!  I am a part-time musician myself (church musician). I love a good acoustic guitar as much as anyone else.  But choice of style, etc. is highly subjective.  Beauty for one is agony for another.  I would concur that playing quietly inside a stateroom should not be an issue for anyone, though.  As for public spaces, I tend to gravitate to the bars/lounges that cater to the types of music I enjoy listening to, including jazz, pop, or classical.  We've been happy with the entertainers that Celebrity has provided in the spaces we enjoy. 

Sigh, my instrument, the pipe organ, is not conducive to bringing on a cruise ship. 😞  (kidding!!!)