Can Hubby Bring His Guitar?

smogfarmgirl

I wish I was on that cruise.   I'd love to hear him, and if I saw him somewhere playing softly I'd stop and listen and just enjoy.  I think some of the passengers whom I've heard on piano and yes on guitar are phenomenal.  Not showing off, just doing what they always do - playing their instrument.   I would say probably the majority of people would love to hear him play, and if he was in a public space, some would walk by and some would stop and listen.  I'd be a listener for sure!   Have a wonderful happy musical cruise.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ClaudiaB said:

I wish I was on that cruise.   I'd love to hear him, and if I saw him somewhere playing softly I'd stop and listen and just enjoy.  I think some of the passengers whom I've heard on piano and yes on guitar are phenomenal.  Not showing off, just doing what they always do - playing their instrument.   I would say probably the majority of people would love to hear him play, and if he was in a public space, some would walk by and some would stop and listen.  I'd be a listener for sure!   Have a wonderful happy musical cruise.  

Aww, thank you! He’s taken it on a couple all inclusive vacations, and goes out to the beach late and night to play...and usually ends up with a little crowd, lol. 

• Thanks 1

I concur with George C...if you enjoy your 1st cruise you should really research a future full charter music cruise ..who are some of your husband's favorite acoustic guitar artists  (I am a huge fan of Jonathan Butler, U-Nam etc0

10 minutes ago, hattack said:

I concur with George C...if you enjoy your 1st cruise you should really research a future full charter music cruise ..who are some of your husband's favorite acoustic guitar artists  (I am a huge fan of Jonathan Butler, U-Nam etc0

Hattack -- long time no see, my friend! Getting ready for SJC 20.2, next month -- looking forward to seeing Jonathan Butler again. BTW -- I started a thread over on the Specialty Cruise board: "Calling all Jazz Cruisers" -- would love to hear from you! 😎

• Like 1

We were in an RS a few cruises back and the folk in the penthouse next to us played acoustic guitar on their balcony.  It was lovely.  Not intrusive at all. We never saw them - I'm not sure they set foot outside much - and I never got to thank them (or see who it was they were good!) but I love acoustic guitar and it was a treat.  It absolutely would not bother me. 

You could ask the butler to drop a note to your neighbours saying to please let you know if it bothers them or they are disturbed.  I accept not everyone will appreciate it - but I'd far rather have guitar than a couple shouting at each other or kids playing video games! 

Edited by GastroGnome
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My husband brings a guitar as well.  If your husband wants to play his acoustic guitar on the balcony, all he has to be is ask his neighbors if they mind. 

I'm just curious, those of you who object to acoustic guitar on the balcony, do you also object to conversations on the balcony?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tudy said:

My husband brings a guitar as well.  If your husband wants to play his acoustic guitar on the balcony, all he has to be is ask his neighbors if they mind. 

I'm just curious, those of you who object to acoustic guitar on the balcony, do you also object to conversations on the balcony?

Actually t - methinks that some posters may not understand that the music played 'usually' is not that loud by most players on their balcony, especially if there is no singing involved.

I think there is the initial reaction to the idea and then the reality... for most who play on their balconies..

Yes there will be a few here and there who will perform like they are in an auditorium.. LOL Those are the objectionable ones, to be sure.

bon voyage

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Actually t - methinks that some posters may not understand that the music played 'usually' is not that loud by most players on their balcony, especially if there is no singing involved.

I think there is the initial reaction to the idea and then the reality... for most who play on their balconies..

Yes there will be a few here and there who will perform like they are in an auditorium.. LOL Those are the objectionable ones, to be sure.

bon voyage

Agreed! It’s actually quieter than normal conversation ... I supposed unless you’re trying to play for attention and not personal relaxation, lol. But the same could be said for a conversation😂😏 And nope, he doesn’t generally sing when he’s not practicing or performing. 

1 hour ago, Tudy said:

Hmmmm.... why does it bother you that some wouldn't welcome music on their balcony? For me, music is irritating. I know, weird, huh? It truly makes me uncomfortable and I just want it to stop. So if someone was playing music I could hear on my balcony I wouldn't like it much. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MEcruzr said:

Hmmmm.... why does it bother you that some wouldn't welcome music on their balcony? For me, music is irritating. I know, weird, huh? It truly makes me uncomfortable and I just want it to stop. So if someone was playing music I could hear on my balcony I wouldn't like it much. 

m - quick question, does this hold true for music and guitar playing around in the Public Areas of the ship as well?

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

Some balcony conversations can be quite interesting.  If they are intrusive, a few coughs and throat clearing let most people know they are louder than they think.  

I'd also want it to be my choice  where and when I listen to music.  We sail in AQ aft over the Sunset Bar and listen to the musician there, but that's what I signed on for and paid for (that cabin) so I knew what I was getting into.  I would not want to have chosen a supposedly quiet cabin and not have the choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

m - quick question, does this hold true for music and guitar playing around in the Public Areas of the ship as well?

bon voyage

I'm not advocating for NO music... not saying anything at all like that. Music is life for some people. In "my" space I choose not to have it. I don't enjoy music and I don't choose to go listen to it on purpose. You'll never see me at a concert or symphony. But you'll see me with a cocktail in the lounge with family and friends. 😉

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smogfarmgirl said:

Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions! I hope we get some of you next door to us sometime 😁

And in return, thank you for being so considerate, both in asking and in understanding what most people here are saying. I have seen threads like this take a rough turn when the OP gets defensive and doesn't like what they read, but you have been very sweet in this thread. I hope you and hubby have a wonderful cruise. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

And in return, thank you for being so considerate, both in asking and in understanding what most people here are saying. I have seen threads like this take a rough turn when the OP gets defensive and doesn't like what they read, but you have been very sweet in this thread. I hope you and hubby have a wonderful cruise. 😊

Of course! We genuinely don’t want to irritate anyone, and find a way for him to truly relax as well. Everyone’s comments have been most helpful.