Can Hubby Bring His Guitar?

smogfarmgirl

4 hours ago, Tudy said:

My husband brings a guitar as well.  If your husband wants to play his acoustic guitar on the balcony, all he has to be is ask his neighbors if they mind. 

This is an unfair position to put the neighbors in.  Say "yes, I do mind" and risk getting yelled at?  Or say "sure" but not mean it?  Or say "sure" but then regret it but cannot say anything since you already agreed?

I'm one of those who don't like to have music on if I'm trying to relax.  I'm a singer & musician, so it's not that I hate music.  Sometimes you want to be alone with your thoughts.  Background music is just "noise" at that point, especially when part of the appeal of sailing is hearing the sounds of the ocean.

• Like 10

Please don't. Although I'm sure in your case your husband is talented and respectful, I recall one awful cruise when our next door neighbors spent an inordinate amount of time on the balcony singing and playing at all hours of the day and night. Whether we were napping in the afternoon, trying to read on our balcony, trying to sleep at night, watching a movie in our cabin there was an unwanted background track of guitar music and singing. The cabin walls are thin, the balconies don't offer any protection from unwanted sounds at all.

Perhaps he could play on the lawn on S-class ships. That would enable him to relax, but not intrude on others whose ideas of relaxation might not include guitar music.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 2

No matter how talented or “soft” the music is, it is sound.  When I am reading or sleeping or watching the sea, sometimes I just want peace and quiet.  My husband is a musician and even acoustic instruments can be heard and sometimes felt through walls.  If we are in the mood for music, we seek out one of the performances onboard.  

As some have said above, please don’t.  I also don’t want to be put in the position of answering the “would you mind if I?”

Smooth sailing to all ⛴🛳🛥️🗺

• Like 10

On 2/6/2020 at 8:36 PM, sandycruzr said:

I was on Freedom of the Seas In December and MANY passengers brought tambourines and bongos.  One even brought a boom

box and blasted salsa music by the pool for several days. A group

paraded  playing instruments through the quiet adults only pool.  Many passengers loved it and even encouraged it. Obviously some were annoyed by all the loud music. It wasn’t until the fourth day that security put a stop to it! 
my point is, I am sure your hubby is very talented but some passengers would NOT appreciate hearing ANY music out on their balcony or coming from the cabin next door. I agree with the previous poster, check with the Cruise Director and they might welcome him to

play in a lounge. 
enjoy your cruise!

I've been on the Feeedon out of SJ.  The amount of music/singing/noise was extreme.  And it was everywhere, pool deck, promenade, beaches. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

I've been on the Feeedon out of SJ.  The amount of music/singing/noise was extreme.  And it was everywhere, pool deck, promenade, beaches. 

But not in the spa I bet.  All kidding aside, they keep that pretty quiet.  

Edited by zitsky

On 2/7/2020 at 10:25 AM, warmwinds said:

If they are intrusive, a few coughs and throat clearing let most people know they are louder than they think.  

Or just show a mirror around the divider so they can see they are being watched. That should take care of things. But, you might get a visit from security asking to not use the mirror again... just saying...😂

31 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

what ship and when?  I'm down!

Me too. I hope they're on the 28 May Summit cruise and next door to our stateroom. If they drink I will buy their choice of beverages to hear acoustic guitar. It's my choice when I am in heavy driving conditions and it helped me deal with the occasion Adam Henry in the crowd.

😎

On 2/7/2020 at 8:56 AM, Tudy said:

My husband brings a guitar as well.  If your husband wants to play his acoustic guitar on the balcony, all he has to be is ask his neighbors if they mind. 

I'm just curious, those of you who object to acoustic guitar on the balcony, do you also object to conversations on the balcony?

Clearly NOT the same thing!

21 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

Me too. I hope they're on the 28 May Summit cruise and next door to our stateroom. If they drink I will buy their choice of beverages to hear acoustic guitar. It's my choice when I am in heavy driving conditions and it helped me deal with the occasion Adam Henry in the crowd.

😎

55 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

what ship and when?  I'm down!

Sorry K12Guy! We’re on Infinity March 23

On 2/7/2020 at 12:25 PM, warmwinds said:

Some balcony conversations can be quite interesting.  If they are intrusive, a few coughs and throat clearing let most people know they are louder than they think.  

Agree regarding "interesting"... although most of the time if I am on my balcony I am seeking quiet, not entertainment! 

It's been my personal experience that the more intrusive the conversationalists, the less they pick up on the subtle hints like a cough.  I guess if they were clued in to subtle social cues they probably wouldn't be having an earsplitting conversation on the balcony to start with 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Agree regarding "interesting"... although most of the time if I am on my balcony I am seeking quiet, not entertainment! 

It's been my personal experience that the more intrusive the conversationalists, the less they pick up on the subtle hints like a cough.  I guess if they were clued in to subtle social cues they probably wouldn't be having an earsplitting conversation on the balcony to start with 🙂

Are you exaggerating a bit?   Who has ear splitting conversations? 

Just now, zitsky said:

Are you exaggerating a bit?   Who has ear splitting conversations? 

Maybe it was "brain splitting" instead but I've had a number of experiences on my balcony where I could clearly hear EVERY. SINGLE. LOUD. WORD. from balconies 2 or 3 rooms away.  It's pretty obnoxious.