Anthem- testing 12 Chinese nationals who are onboard

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Were you asked to put yourself in a 14 day quarantine? Or at least self-quarantine until incubation time has past? Asking those who debarked to self-quarantine would align with what other countries are doing (Japan, UK, etc...).

in this case that would  not help since these 5.000 people will be travelling to get home during which time they will be exposed to tens of thousands if not more people a long the  way and that multiplies with each of their contacts

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It will eventually bounce back, just a question of how much lower it will drop, might still be an opportunity t short it if things get worse.

Sold it at $113.20 for a quick $2,100 gain this morning.  That is a little more than what we paid for our Feb 2021 Odyssey cruise while on Majesty 2 weeks ago.  Figured I would use the headlines this morning to pay for that.

Watching the news releases on Dow Jones Newswire as they report updates pretty quickly.  

NJ Governor office just reported there are no confirmed cases of coronavirus in the state.

I also see Royal today announced they bought into a joint venture with Hapag-Lloyd Cruises (German tour operator).  I wonder if they will have cross cruise line loyalty programs when this deal closes.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Were you asked to put yourself in a 14 day quarantine? Or at least self-quarantine until incubation time has past? Asking those who debarked to self-quarantine would align with what other countries are doing (Japan, UK, etc...).

Exactly....this has been world protocol.....from this speedy disembarkation process I question how much info these passengers got?  Did some walk off clueless.?  I think it possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #55worktoplay said:

They could have waited until test results came back at least.

if this spreads in NY it will be shut down!

I don’t recall NYC shutting down after 911. The world isn’t going to stop rotating because of a virus. Every one in fear should just cancel their cruise and hide under the covers until it passes. 

• Like 3

The PCR test that the CDC developed for the coronavirus can be run in 20-30 minutes.  Likely one or more hospitals in either north NJ or NYC has the testing kit available and ran the test on the quarantined people this morning, or possibly even last night.  They'd been on the cruise for 12 days, at at the extreme end of the incubation period for at least one of them if any actually have the virus.  So, I'd say its highly likely that they know with a great degree of certainty if in fact they were dealing with coronavirus.  Don't panic....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

I'm on this cruise and I'm canceling right now. No way in hell I'd set foot on this ship. 

Certainly your choice and one must do what they feel is right.  Just don't complain when you are not compensated by Royal for cancelling your cruise.  All local and state officials have declared no outbreak.  CDC allowed PAX to disembark. The next cruise is still scheduled but delayed.  No reason for Royal to offer refund or future CC to people who cancel.

• Like 1

It doesn't seem like those who debarked have been asked to self quarantine. With so many posting on social media, no one has mentioned a self-quarantine. I agree that it may not matter because they all debarked and traveled home, but this is what other countries are doing as protocol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, truckswain said:

No reason for Royal to offer refund or future CC to people who cancel.

But offering a future cruise credit is the right thing to do imo. Too much is unknown and information is too fluid. I have not read that the passengers taken to hospitals in NJ have tested negative, just that they haven't tested positive. They could still be withing the incubation period.  If this does turn into 'something' there are less people to deal with. Plus it's a huge confidence booster. Seems like a win/win for Royal.

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It doesn't seem like those who debarked have been asked to self quarantine. With so many posting on social media, no one has mentioned a self-quarantine. I agree that it may not matter because they all debarked and traveled home, but this is what other countries are doing as protocol. 

yes common protocol...seems like US thinks it can't come on a cruise ship?

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

10 minutes ago, flagger said:

It is unfathomable that authorities did not quarantine the ship until the tests came back negative.

Likely the tests have already come back negative.  The test takes 20-30 minutes to run, and since the CDC started distributing test kits 3 days ago, local hospitals likely already have it.  Since it was a 12 day cruise, if any one passenger had it, it would VERY likely have been detected by the test since they'd be near the end of the incubation period.  So, a nothing burger.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, yerdsyerds said:

Likely the tests have already come back negative.  The test takes 20-30 minutes to run, and since the CDC started distributing test kits 3 days ago, local hospitals likely already have it.  Since it was a 12 day cruise, if any one passenger had it, it would VERY likely have been detected by the test since they'd be near the end of the incubation period.  So, a nothing burger.  

Wow, you are assuming alot. 

I’m pretty sure the CDC was consulted before passengers disembarked.  To not do so would be irresponsible.  Let’s hope they know what they are doing. Otherwise Anthem just exposed millions of people to this virus. 

I think they are holding off boarding due to an abundance of caution and rightfully so. If nothing else it will cut down on the next cruises cruise crude that I got last time.  

No panic here but we don’t get on a ship until the end of the month.

I’m actually wondering if we have the whole picture from China?  Building a hospital sounds like more then just a reaction to a flu. I’m wondering if the death rates are higher then we know about.  Let’s hope my speculation is wrong.  And let’s hope we can control it better here.  So far so good. I think we’ll all know more in a couple of weeks.   I would board a ship with what we know now.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yerdsyerds said:

What exactly do you think I'm assuming?  

'likely the tests came back negative'. You don't know this.

'local hospitals likely have it' (test kits). You don't know this.

'Since it was a 12 day cruise, if any one passenger had it, it would VERY likely have been detected by the test since they'd be near the end of the incubation period.' You don't know this. 

None of this is a 'nothing burger'.  Everyone should be on alert and make the best decision for themselves.  

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

We just got to the port and they aren't letting us check in our bags. Porter said the ship is delayed until at least tomorrow. On hold with RCI to find out, as we haven't been formally notified. 

I would think that the US will quarantine all the passengers and crew on this ship for 14 days like Japan.  It's a shame the Chinese nationals that flew from China were allowed on the ship in the first place.

1 minute ago, seaoats228 said:

I would think that the US will quarantine all the passengers and crew on this ship for 14 days like Japan.  It's a shame the Chinese nationals that flew from China were allowed on the ship in the first place.

You might think that but they already disembarked those pax

Passengers were already debarked and on their way home. 

The ban of Chinese nationals went into effect AFTER the cruise had already left port.

Japan isn't the only country asking for self-quarantine and they aren't just asking for self-quarantine from China. The UK is asking for self quarantine from 9 different countries

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jpurdy said:

'likely the tests came back negative'. You don't know this.

'local hospitals likely have it' (test kits). You don't know this.

'Since it was a 12 day cruise, if any one passenger had it, it would VERY likely have been detected by the test since they'd be near the end of the incubation period.' You don't know this. 

None of this is a 'nothing burger'.  Everyone should be on alert and make the best decision for themselves.  

Fair enough on the first one.  It's an educated guess based on my 30+ years in Pathology and having worked on other outbreaks in conjunction with the CDC.  Local hospitals do have the kits, I just called a friend who runs the lab that does PCR testing at a major NNJ hospital and they do indeed have it.  On the incubation period, and knowing how PCR testing works, I'd say educated opinion, not assumption.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, yerdsyerds said:

I THINK if it is a "nothing burger" they would be eager to reassure their passengers and the public...news reports still say the passengers are being assessed.

• Like 1