Anthem- testing 12 Chinese nationals who are onboard

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I could be wrong, but the change in departure time could have to do with the tides.

Anthem needs all the clearance she can get to fit under the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge.

😊

Didn’t even think of that!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I could be wrong, but the change in departure time could have to do with the tides.

Anthem needs all the clearance she can get to fit under the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge.

😊

I like the positive thinking, but according to a press release from RCL, they pushed back the time to a 10 pm departure because they are waiting on conclusive results from the CDC. We all know I hate that little pesky word "Conclusive".

If you are looking for a sliver lining, it may be that a 10 p.m. departure will allow for amazing city views! I always set the alarm to be up early enough to watch sail in, but that is brutal. Sitting on the aft (or 270 if its cold) with a beverage watching the New York fade away will be extra nice.

Anyway, here are the facts directly from RCL:

image.png.2143e344322041f5e8212206691dda5e.png

19 hours ago, alphawave1 said:

Ditto, leaving March 1st from Galveston!

We are sailing March 1, 2020 on the Carnival Horizon out of Miami.  Trying not to worry but herd this morning if any new cases develop on a cruise ship it starts the clock over again on the 14 days quarantine.  They said the people on the Diamond Princess could be on that ship for weeks.

15 minutes ago, seaoats228 said:

We are sailing March 1, 2020 on the Carnival Horizon out of Miami.  Trying not to worry but herd this morning if any new cases develop on a cruise ship it starts the clock over again on the 14 days quarantine.  They said the people on the Diamond Princess could be on that ship for weeks.

Best I can tell, resetting the quarantine clock with each new case is still speculative. Diamond Princess did have three new cases come up this morning (now at 64). There is still no official word if the clock has reset. 14 days from today would be a February 22 departure (give or take world clock errors). The original 14 day quarantine released the passengers on February 19th. Guests on diamond princess are eagerly awaiting a new press release either confirming February 19th or delaying until February 22.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

47 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

9am update, no changes. Next update at 10 

Anthem of the Seas Updates 
February 8th, 2020 at 9:00 AM EST
No changes have been made since February 7th, 2020 at 6:00 PM EDT. 
We'll share our next updates at 10:00 AM EDT.

If they had good news they've be rushing to put it out. It's been 24 hours since these pax disembarked, and they can't seem to confirm they DON'T have coronavirus

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

😊

The ship has sailed in and away at full tide many times. 

56 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

If they had good news they've be rushing to put it out. It's been 24 hours since these pax disembarked, and they can't seem to confirm they DON'T have coronavirus

I'm assuming every crew member from the previous sailing is still on the ship?  Hate to hear what will happen if someone is positive.

Edited by LuCruise

55 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Agree....from all that seems to be out there initial tests must be done by now and I have to think some secondary tests are being done requiring more time.  If, at this time they verify the virus was present on that sailing they are thousands of people involved..and those waiting to sail many of which would not want to get on.

14 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Still awaiting 'conclusive" results....... 

image.png.26ff34988b02b1f02d14df96517f0c7a.png

Well that is in fact more telling...clearly it is not a question of "tides".  So passengers just sit and wait. the responsible thing would be to offer refund at this point or at least option to schedule in the future.

I don't think anyone really thought the delay had much to do with tides. Here is the latest, a Monday departure:

image.png.d1828608d801af6d4f235e6ee92db8e0.png

It should be obvious to all that RCL is concerned about something or the the ship would be sailing.  CDC is not the only government agency involved, we all know that Homeland Security has jurisdiction in ports.

Based on what is going on with Diamond Princess, my best guess is that RCL is doing everything possible to ensure Anthem will not need to be quarantined once they do leave, and this is very responsible of RCL.  Avoiding a quarantine situation has got to be top priority.

If you are following Diamond Princess, I don't think anyone in their right mind would want to experience.  Consider these things happening on Diamond Princess:

- Smoking banned. Smokers were provided nicotine gum on day 4. 

- Alcohol banned. Presumably alcoholics are being given something to avoid with-drawl (which is a medical condition)

- Food choices limited. Lunch choice: ham/cheese or cheese sandwich on white bread. Take it or leave it. Gluten free? 

- Unknown debarkation: 2 more cases today. No word on if the February 19th debarkation will be extended.

- Financial concerns (out of work). Aging parents. Some on-board have their kids at home. Pets in day care

- Confinement. This would be my personal biggest issue. I could manage in a balcony cabin, but there are families in inside cabins that are being allowed to leave their cabin for 1 hour a day wearing masks and staying 1 meter away from contact with another human. That thought actually gives me anxiety. Can you imagine being confined for 14 day inside like this:

image.png.0dc8c846ffae3f1867f3900cfd72f2fa.png

Certainly, being quarantined on a ship is not the worst thing possible. Certainly many of the things I listed above are first world problems. Certainly, the vast majority of people are Virus free and not ill. But I doubt that many  people would enjoy what really happens with a 14 day quarantine. 

• Like 1

PS: The next logical question is.......

What happens if coronavirus is confirmed in one of the passengers that debarked? Obviously the crew will need to be quarantined. Would they quarantine all crew on-board for 14 days before allowed to sail again? Who makes that decision? Homeland security? And what do they do with the people who debarked Friday?  I suspect these questions will go unanswered, but if I had a cruise booked on Anthem in the next couple weeks I would want to stay informed and possibly have some backup vaca plans. Never hurts to be over-prepared.

It goes without saying that we all hope and pray that the conclusive tests results RCL is waiting for  will show no CoV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I wouldn’t assume that - just like the passengers, anyone with any symptoms might be taken off. 

I don't know about symptoms, but just like passengers, MANY crew signed off on Friday.  (end of their contracts;  going home)

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

I don't know about symptoms, but just like passengers, MANY crew signed off on Friday.  (end of their contracts;  going home)

I think there are a few things going on here.....

1) IF (and that is a big if), but if CoV is found, than the remaining crew will likely be quarantined. That likely takes anthem out of play for 14 days (or longer).

2) IF (and that is a big if) CoV is found, then RCL (or the CDC, or homeland security)....will do the job of asking all the passengers (and crew) who debarked on Friday to self-quarantine.  At least that has been to protocol in Asia.

3) If CoV is not confirmed (and I do believe this will be the outcome as the odds seem in favor of no CoV, especially since it's been two days with no new reports), than Monday's 5 night cruise becomes a cruise I would like to be on. Who gets to sail on a ship with so few people???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

1) IF (and that is a big if), but if CoV is found, than the remaining crew will likely be quarantined. That likely takes anthem out of play for 14 days (or longer).

2) IF (and that is a big if) CoV is found, then RCL (or the CDC, or homeland security)....will do the job of asking all the passengers (and crew) who debarked on Friday to self-quarantine.  At least that has been to protocol in Asia.

3) If CoV is not confirmed (and I do believe this will be the outcome as the odds seem in favor of no CoV, especially since it's been two days with no new reports), than Monday's 5 night cruise becomes a cruise I would like to be on. Who gets to sail on a ship with so few people???

Not sure how much good it would do putting the crew in quarantine now, all the crew I know onboard have been enjoying shore leave and have been posting photos of themselves all over NYC....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I have.

When RC decided to re-deploy the Mariner to the West Coast, they came up with a plan:  A huge "round the horn" cruise, Port Canaveral, Florida to San Pedro (LA), California. (Mariner = too big to fit through the Panama Canal)  Three legs:  PC to Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro to Valparaiso, Chile, Valparaiso, Chile to LA.  Each leg was 15 or 16 days, for a total of 46.  When the cruise was announced, it sold out quickly, at rather high prices, many people booking the entire journey.   January 4,  2009 to February 19, 2009.

Then came the economic collapse.  SO MANY cancellations.  We ended up sailing out of Port Canaveral barely one third full.  (not to mention the morons who didn't obtain Brazilian visas and were left behind)

It was a wonderful experience. (and "everyone"  got upgraded on that first leg.  My friends and I ended up in the RFS for the entire trip)

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

Not sure how much good it would do putting the crew in quarantine now, all the crew I know onboard have been enjoying shore leave and have been posting photos of themselves all over NYC....

I get your logic, but that was not the protocol followed for Diamond Princess. The ground zero patient embarked on January 20th in Yokohama and debarked 5 days later in Hong Kong. The ship went to sail normally. Passengers and crew got on/off at other ports sailing it's normal sceduled itininary. It wasn't until Febrary 3rd  that the ship was quarantined. So, for 14 days, passengers interacted with crew, got on and off in Japan, China, and Vietnam, and THEN it was quarantined.

An interview with the head of Homeland Security today (forget his name) stated that their goal is not to 100% stop the CoV because they know they can't do that. Their goal is to get as close to 100% as possible. I suspect that would include quarantining anyone exposed on the Anthem's last sailing (if CoV is confirmed of course).

Clearly RCL is worried that passengers and crew on Anthem have been exposed. How worried? We don't know, but worried enough  to let the ship  sit not generating income for a few days. Of course RL has 'safety of passengers' in consideration, but I'd make the argument that the decision to postpone until conclusive results can be obtained was also financial. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to put people up for a few day in a $200 hotel than it is to keep them quarantined for 14 days on-board. As a shareholder, I believe RCL is correct in waiting for conclusive results. Inconclusive results just don't cut it here.