Anthem- testing 12 Chinese nationals who are onboard

Just now, Moeve said:

It not the ship that is the issue - it’s the people 

The ship and crew could easily be contaminated. 

Look at the situation with the cruise ship in Japan. This could easily turn into that. You'd have to be a fool to board the Anthem today. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cruisenlove said:

RC is really good with that stuff that's why we choose them! Have fun on Oasis! We are going on Oasis May 10th from NJ! I love that ship! It's simply amazing!! 🙂

Thank you!  Best wishes to you and yours too for happy and healthy cruising. And we feel most comfortable and safest on RCCL too.  

Also, would like to send out best wishes to all the crews, who take risks every day by caring for us on board. Hope they are staying in healthy and safe. 

• Like 1

We just got to the port and they aren't letting us check in our bags. Porter said the ship is delayed until at least tomorrow. On hold with RCI to find out, as we haven't been formally notified. 

And I just spoke to a customer service agent who claims no official word until noon. 

Edited by robmtx

A cruise  that originated in Hong Kong but has no one sick aboard is being turned away from ports.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/07/ms-westerdam-cruise-ship-with-2000-aboard-blocked-from-docking-amid-coronavirus-fears/

But a ship with several sick individuals from China with actual respiratory symptoms was allowed to dock and disembark passengers in NYC. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robmtx said:

We just got to the port and they aren't letting us check in our bags. Porter said the ship is delayed until at least tomorrow. On hold with RCI to find out, as we haven't been formally notified. 

Sounds like RCI is being responsible with the delayed embarkation. I still say they should be offering 100% future cruise credit right now and clear out the pier for those that don't want to chance things. There are so many unknowns and the information is very fluid. The Mayor's tweet was positive.

59 minutes ago, Ivy86 said:

Exactly!!!! All they cared about it’s the money . They should not let ppl out of the shop till everyone it’s tested . 

Which company is not all about the money?? I am sure we would all love to see them fold up as a business and then we could all be on a Carnival ship in the future. I don’t think any company would be different. Norwegian could probably use this as a perk for selling more cruises! 

First there is too much misinformation or better yet lack of information for any of us “professionals”make any decisions. Second they are really between a rock and a hard place. I am sure the next people coming for the cruise today don’t want to hear anything about having to go home today without a vacation. 

Give it some time and we will see what really is going on here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robmtx said:

And I just spoke to a customer service agent who claims no official word until noon. 

5 minutes ago, robmtx said:

That's a shame if RCCL isn't informing pax if their cruise will be delayed. Where are people supposed to camp out if they are already in the area? Will RCCL put people up in a hotel if they don't leave until tomorrow? 

21 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

I'm on this cruise and I'm canceling right now. No way in hell I'd set foot on this ship. 

I have to agree, I would do the same. Could be nothing but with so many unknowns I would not take the risk. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toad455 said:

That's a shame if RCCL isn't informing pax if their cruise will be delayed. Where are people supposed to camp out if they are already in the area? Will RCCL put people up in a hotel if they don't leave until tomorrow? 

I'm sure the people at Royal are doing the best they can - they have limited info and little time. 

• Like 1

NJ Governor says 27 people had recently traveled from mainland China.  4 individuals being evaluated at area hospitals and that there are no confirmed cases of coronavirus.  

Edit:  source is Dow Jones Newswire

Edited by thrifty99

3 minutes ago, toad455 said:

See my new thread, Anthem News Flash

• Thanks 1

People should be more concerned about the "regular flu" we have here. How many folks are vaccinated for the current flu who are overreacting to their potential exposure to coronavirus? Much more likely to come down with the current flu bug if you go about your business in the USA...airplanes, restaurants, trains, etc. Don't overreact!  I've been on ships with "cruise crud" where the ship sold out of cough syrup...but nobody panicked. Death rate for the current flu isn't different (at least at this time) from the coronavirus.https://www.king5.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-vs-the-flu-how-in-danger-are-you/281-64e443ef-8b51-41da-8646-3e8b7b8a1fc4

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Only if buy into the hysteria of this thread.

I would not be so quick to judge. 11 of the 13 cases in Germany are the direct result of ONE SINGLE PERSON coming to a business conference. This person from China showed now signs of symptoms until this person was on the flight home. Fortunately this person was responsible enough to contact the company to let them know of the danger and the company had the foresight to rather shut down than continue to put not only their employees at risk but everyone else they come into contact with and the multiplier of that.....

The company immediately shut down its HQ and home quarantined all it’s staff members and the result was still 11 positive diagnoses with some even in families.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

See my new thread, Anthem News Flash

Were you asked to put yourself in a 14 day quarantine? Or at least self-quarantine until incubation time has past? Asking those who debarked to self-quarantine would align with what other countries are doing (Japan, UK, etc...).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, janmcn said:

People should be more concerned about the "regular flu" we have here. How many folks are vaccinated for the current flu who are overreacting to their potential exposure to coronavirus? Much more likely to come down with the current flu bug if you go about your business in the USA...airplanes, restaurants, trains, etc. Don't overreact!  I've been on ships with "cruise crud" where the ship sold out of cough syrup...but nobody panicked. Death rate for the current flu isn't different (at least at this time) from the coronavirus.https://www.king5.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-vs-the-flu-how-in-danger-are-you/281-64e443ef-8b51-41da-8646-3e8b7b8a1fc4

Yes Sir that is currently correct (At least what we currently know) however letting this spread uncontrolled leaves the door open since a small mutation somewhere along the way could make the Spanish flu look like a walk in the part.

• Like 1

The frightening aspect is that individuals infected with this virus are contagious BEFORE their symptoms manifest. I believe there is a 2 week window before someone can know they are in the clear.

So, how can anyone leaving that ship today be assured that they are not carrying the virus back to their homes as we speak? 

What if one of the people being sent home to China become confirmed with the virus in the next week or so? Will we know? Are they being monitored?

What happens if one of the hospitalized individuals is confirmed with the virus? Will RCCL sail tomorrow with the same crew exposed on this previous sailing?  Will the disembarked passengers be informed?

Whats the protocol when this can be deadly to the elderly, children, anyone with compromised immune systems...or even a healthy young doctor in China who raised the alarm?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cruisenlove said:

We are going on this ship in 3 weeks and can't wait. I am not that worried! Looking forward to a great vacation! We Love RC!!!

Hope you have a perfect cruise!  We are excited about our cruise on Oasis in two weeks and staying optimistic. Hopefully we will be informed and updated regularly.