Anthem- testing 12 Chinese nationals who are onboard

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

The virus was transmitted from the consumption of bats. 

At this point the original source is irrelevant.....it out there and spreading to non bat eaters. Report out of Taiwan suggests China may accidentally released true data days ago saying 25k had died vs 500... and over 150k cases...vs 20k. The report was up a few minutes before being revised. Just hoping treatments that we have in US help and that better more targeted treatment is available soon. 

6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

A good point.  I trust the CDC to be a voice of reason but it would be nice if someone: news outlet, cruise line, anyone...would make a statement about the rationale of the decision to let people disembark so that people don't start an unnecessary panic.  Why is it so difficult to get good and accurate information?

Why do you want so much information?  30 years ago, the public wouldn't know anything about this until they heard about on the nightly news.  Are we safer now because of instantaneous communication and 24/7 news (not too much social media?  I don't believe so. I think it creates to much anxiety and stress.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

At this point the original source is irrelevant.....it out there and spreading to non bat eaters. Report out of Taiwan suggests China may accidentally released true data days ago saying 25k had died vs 500... and over 150k cases...vs 20k. The report was up a few minutes before being revised. Just hoping treatments that we have in US help and that better more targeted treatment is available soon. 

So people are just discussing. No one is lumping people into bateaters vs nonbateaters. I actually think your followup statement is more inflammatory.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Coronavisrus appears to be human to human.  So not sure where bats, snakes pangolins, dogs, cats, rats, etc. fit in on the transmission timeline.

And while some applaud the quick build of emergency hospitals, remember China's state run healthcare system isn't that robust.  And they still practice "ancient Chinese medicine" even though modern science has proven time and again, these treatments are bogus.

If you have been following this since early January, it was first assumed it was only animal to human.  It was big deal when the first human to human transmission was documented.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Why do you want so much information?  30 years ago, the public wouldn't know anything about this until they heard about on the nightly news.  Are we safer now because of instantaneous communication and 24/7 news (not too much social media?  I don't believe so. I think it creates to much anxiety and stress.

Interesting view.  IMO when people have reliable information, there is less to panic about, not more.  It also allows one to make better informed decisions...like, should I board the Anthem today?  

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The virus was transmitted from the consumption of bats. 

Actually all of the articles including the Bloomberg one quoted below make 0 mention of the consumption of bats, just that the bats may be the origin.

10 minutes ago, marci22 said:

All this says is that bats may be the origin, and they have been the origin for other known pathogens in the past. Lax health standards in China definitely do not help their cause though. The article is basically saying the fact that the bats, pigs, birds, etc all being in one massive melting pot in open air markets and pastures/pens allows for the transmission of these pathogens.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rbschultz said:

Actually all of the articles including the Bloomberg one quoted below make 0 mention of the consumption of bats, just that the bats may be the origin.

All this says is that bats may be the origin, and they have been the origin for other known pathogens in the past. Lax health standards in China definitely do not help their cause though. The article is basically saying the fact that the bats, pigs, birds, etc all being in one massive melting pot in open air markets and pastures/pens allows for the transmission of these pathogens.

One person remarked on people eating bats (people do eat bats). Someone responded with ????????? like they had no idea why someone would say this. Several posters responded. I included a link about the virus being related to bats.

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Interesting view.  IMO when people have reliable information, there is less to panic about, not more.  It also allows one to make better informed decisions...like, should I board the Anthem today?  

My argument would be that it would be better if you did not have to make the decision at all.  Let the government or a company make the decision.  I am taking a cruise next Sunday and I do not want to make the decision!  What if I decide wrong?  No, life was simpler in the past...

1 minute ago, ChinaShrek said:

My argument would be that it would be better if you did not have to make the decision at all.  Let the government or a company make the decision.  I am taking a cruise next Sunday and I do not want to make the decision!  What if I decide wrong?  No, life was simpler in the past...

I will not quote the phrase but it starts with 'ok' and has a b word in it. 

Instead I will say that your being able to make your own decision is a privilege. 

ps I am one.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, cgags47 said:

Let’s also not forget that the CDC has been working with RCI on this. I don’t think the CDC would have allowed disembarkation if there was reason to be alarmed. 

I’m not so sure government & big business don’t always do the right thing! Sometimes they care more about their bottom line then people so they take risks! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, #55worktoplay said:

For those on ship, are normal disembarking procedures happening?  I suppose if normal some would be off ship by now?

Wishing those scheduled to be off or on ship today all the best.

Ship  is well over half empty already. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I will not quote the phrase but it starts with 'ok' and has a b word in it. 

Instead I will say that your being able to make your own decision is a privilege. 

ps I am one.

🤔 I don't get your comment but ok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Ship  is well over half empty already. 

Was any information provided to the passengers regarding anything related to Corona virus before disembarkation?  Might be difficult without divulging one's confidential medical information.  Just wondering what was said...if anything.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, marci22 said:

One person remarked on people eating bats (people do eat bats). Someone responded with ????????? like they had no idea why someone would say this. Several posters responded. I included a link about the virus being related to bats.

Yes people do eat bats but again the link hasn't been made to a specific instance of people eating infected bats. The ?????????? was me because people are just drinking the Koolaid that eating bats = coronavirus.

27 minutes ago, cgags47 said:

Let’s also not forget that the CDC has been working with RCI on this. I don’t think the CDC would have allowed disembarkation if there was reason to be alarmed. 

I’m not so sure government & big business don’t always do the right thing! Sometimes they care more about their bottom line then people so they take risks! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CanonGraceCruiser said:

OMG. They are letting the other passengers off the ship.

Wow. What a gamble they are taking with the NY/NJ area. So if those Chinese nationals are sick, they likely spread it. Plus crew is likely to be infected.

Highly irresponsible.

So the 4 questionably sick Chinese nationals have been sent to University Hospital in Newark because they have negative pressure isolation systems. The other passengers are immediately traveling back to China. (this is what I have read). I think this is better than keeping everyone contained on a ship. 

7 minutes ago, kidless said:

I would agree 10000%. The pressure on RC must be tremendous. If they had quarantined the Anthem, there would have been thousands of cancellations. But by giving the air of normalcy, and letting passengers off, they avoided that.....

......and that is a short term gamble that, for our sake, I hope pays off.

Because if their reckless actions unleash the virus here and a bunch of people die, they are done. The lawsuits alone will kill them not to mention popular opinion.

This is very bad.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rbschultz said:

Yes people do eat bats but again the link hasn't been made to a specific instance of people eating infected bats. The ?????????? was me because people are just drinking the Koolaid that eating bats = coronavirus.

Oh sorry, didn't notice it was you. In any case, I think it's better to post information than to post punctuation. That just riles people up even more.

1 minute ago, CanonGraceCruiser said:

Because if their reckless actions unleash the virus here and a bunch of people die, they are done. The lawsuits alone will kill them not to mention popular opinion.

You would have thought the same thing about Costa after Concordia (or VW after diesel gate)

• Like 1

what is the definition of chinese nationals? im assuming this means you cannot be born in the USA to chinese parents or something nor live here? i see chinese people all the time in the USA and im betting pretty many of them are US citizens. not here traveling.  so makes no sense to single out just chinese people unless you have proof of travel from the bad area of course. then again. i think all people traveling thru the area should be tested. 

are non chinese people tested on such a scale as well?