Anthem- testing 12 Chinese nationals who are onboard

So we know they debarked Anthem.  My question now is, are they allowing embarkation?? As I mentioned before, RCL has an opportunity to get lots of great press if they make this week's cruise optional by offering a future cruise credit. If those from China have only been stateside less than 14 days, there is no way to know if the ship has the virus because they could still be asymptomatic.  

Just now, marci22 said:

That's a good argument for not quarantining people on a cruise ship.

I agree it is a real catch 22....the Diamond Princess started with one man getting off in HK and is now up to 61.....at east one case is crew...a real bad situation with over 3000 people in there.

16 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

this would NEVER happen in other ports.  RCL seems to want to act like nothing happening....if they are actually disembarking all passengers and taking on new ones another 'money grab" $$$ vs safety.

Exactly!!!! All they cared about it’s the money . They should not let ppl out of the shop till everyone it’s tested . 

• Like 1

ow

Hi!  My daughter and I will set sail on Oasis out of Miami on Feb 23 for our 15th RCCL cruise.  Only once before on Oasis and we are so excited about the new improvements. 

question:  how are we all feeling about coronavirus Vic a vis Caribbean itineraries?  Anthem was in Coco Key. We will not be there. But curious about transmission to other ships by passengers and crew during port calls. Some crew get shore leave and mingle with crew from other ships. And maybe there is nothing to worry about re Anthem. The news won’t really say if there was coronavirus. 

thoughts?

I certainly hope that US officials are certain it’s not corona that the people being taken off in stretchers have. For the sake of all Americans I think that an abundance of caution should have been exercised. I can’t believe in a million years that there letting everyone disembark that ship. I totally agree that being stuck on that ship for test results is not idea. But it is the best option so that the entire us mainland isn’t inundated with 4000 people that could possibly be carriers and can pass the disease on now. Like today as soon as they get off and stop a gas station or eat at ihop. Smh. I can’t believe that the US authorities are being so reckless. Unless they’re certain and have tested those people on board. Maybe they have. But I’m just saying this looks bad. I hope my concerns are wrong. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

this would NEVER happen in other ports.  RCL seems to want to act like nothing happening....if they are actually disembarking all passengers and taking on new ones another 'money grab" $$$ vs safety.

Exactly!!!! All they cared about it’s the money . They should not let ppl out of the shop till everyone it’s tested . 

why the US it’s letting ppl from China enter the country?!?!? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CanonGraceCruiser said:

Look. I realize it sounds extreme, but I would have suggested keeping the passengers on the boat until they could confirm whether or not the virus is in the ship.

Putting it another way.....

Why are we quarantining people arriving from China? Because they have been in close quarters near the virus. These passengers, by virtue of circumstance of the past two weeks, are no different now.

Maybe they do know.   Given what the CDC is doing to quarantine non-symptomatic people from the evacuation flights, I truly doubt they are just letting potentially exposed people walk off into the US.   We have the greatest medical experts in the world.  I am not a doctor, but I get the impression the test is a blood test and may not take much or any culturing time.   With a mobile lab, they mau have tested the passengers in question and cleared them already.  The one stretcher could be unrelated.     I think I read that the ship came in to the harbor early, the CDC has had hours to look at this already.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ivy86 said:

Here is the problem with that (not that I don't agree with a quarantine)......

You can have the virus and test negative day 1, 2, 3, 4,.....12, 13, 14 and then test positive on Day 15. That is why Diamond Princess is in quarantine until February 19th (and possibly extended). 

Remember, on Diamond Princess the ground zero patient debarked and then several days later tested positive. At that time Diamond Princess started the quarantine. The ground zero patient was long gone. Diamond Princess has only tested 273 for CoV. Only those who were in contact with ground zero patient. Of those 273, 61 have tested positive so far. It is very likely more will test positive as the days progress. 

If you were to extrapolate the Diamond Princess situation to Anthem, it would be equal to a passenger who got off anthem today testing positive in 5 days.  RCL would then quarantine the ship. Passengers embarking would be the ones in quarantine. Those in an inside cabin are being allowed to walk the deck for only 1.5 hours with mask/gloves and staying one meter away from anyone else. Food is being delivered. All services have ceased. Can you imagine being locked in an inside cabin for 14 days? I wouldn't risk it myself.

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Where did you get that info?

Deduced from 12 day Anthem Bahamas itinerary stops in coco key. If it didn’t, same question applies re:  passengers and crew vectors for ship to ship transmission at any port calls. 

16 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, funkidd said:

I certainly hope that US officials are certain it’s not corona that the people being taken off in stretchers have. For the sake of all Americans I think that an abundance of caution should have been exercised. I can’t believe in a million years that there letting everyone disembark that ship. I totally agree that being stuck on that ship for test results is not idea. But it is the best option so that the entire us mainland isn’t inundated with 4000 people that could possibly be carriers and can pass the disease on now. Like today as soon as they get off and stop a gas station or eat at ihop. Smh. I can’t believe that the US authorities are being so reckless. Unless they’re certain and have tested those people on board. Maybe they have. But I’m just saying this looks bad. I hope my concerns are wrong. 

and at the end of the day RCL is not really the decision maker...it is the authorities at the port. Given what has been reported even one suspected case should have dictated a much more cautious approach to disembarkation. Love to hear from passengers that have gotten off as to what they have been told.  Maybe US needs to take a page from Japan's playbook.?

From the MayorOf Bayonne- @DavisforBayonne via twitter:

RC Update: Approx 2 dozen were screened this morning with 4 sent to area hosp for further screening. I was advised CDC considers this “Below Low Risk” situation. All other passengers released w/no action needed.

• Like 2

Just now, Ivy86 said:

Actually, the would not be able to let people off for 14 days. You can test negative day 1,2,..... 13 and then test positive on day 14. 

Just now, Plum Happy said:

From the MayorOf Bayonne- @DavisforBayonne via twitter:

RC Update: Approx 2 dozen were screened this morning with 4 sent to area hosp for further screening. I was advised CDC considers this “Below Low Risk” situation. All other passengers released w/no action needed.

Excellent information. Why the media isn't sharing this little tid bit is beyond me. It's obviously no guarantee, but I feel much more comfortable after reading this.

1 minute ago, pearlymoo said:

Deduced from 12 day Anthem Bahamas itinerary stops in coco key. If it didn’t, same question applies re:  passengers and crew vectors for ship to ship transmission at any port calls. 

This is the issue with CC, news and social media - you deduced wrong - the ship was on a southern Caribbean itinerary that went no where near Bahamas.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Excellent information. Why the media isn't sharing this little tid bit is beyond me. It's obviously no guarantee, but I feel much more comfortable after reading this.

I got this through a twitter retweet from a Gene Sloan @CruiseLog

• Like 1