Couple got on wrong ship

Crystal04

Both the Crown and Regal Princess were embarking at different terminals. I was about to step onto the ship and get my picture taken and medallion scanned in.  When I saw some confusion happening ahead of me and a younger couple was turned away. The couple was laughing saying that they got on the wrong ship and were supposed to be on the Regal.  I was in shock that they were able to get through so many check points and physically step foot onto the ship.  I was asked to show my boarding pass quite a few times, but I also didn't get my medallion mailed to me.  Hopefully, they got their luggage back and were able to board the Regal in time.  Has anyone else seen this happen before?

I haven't seen this happen, but when we boarded the Regal in FLL a couple weeks ago there was confusion at the pier from luggage porters and the shuttle drivers about which Princess ship was boarding at which terminal.  We literally asked the staff working at the entrance if we were in fact at the proper place to board the Regal after hearing the various comments from obviously confused people.  So I can see how it could happen!

18 minutes ago, richstowe said:

I think it's great because it has nothing to do with the coronavirus .

Seriously I need diversions as we have a Princess cruise from Singapore in 3 weeks . 

Dude. I'm in Montreal too. Please don't bring any 'gifts' home...

• Haha 1

Yes, we have witnessed it happening. We did a BTB in FLL but transferring from first cruise on Regal at pier 2 to 2nd cruise on Coral @pier 21. Princess transferred us from 2 to 21 in a van. It was REALLY tense in that van.  There was another couple in the van with us who had used Princess pre-stray and transfers and got out with luggage at the first stop, the Regal and said they made it onto the Regal when it was discovered. Princesses  could not find their luggage and our first port was Aruba. To say they were upset is putting it mildly 

Not on a ship but I boarded a plane that was sharing part of a boarding ramp with a flight to another city. A couple got on the wrong flight and it was only discovered when someone else boarded and found them in their seats. At least it was discovered before takeoff...

Years ago we boarded our ship in Vancouver, BC.  There were two Princess ships in that day.  We backed away from the pier and then a small boat came out full of luggage.  Apparently, some of the luggage from the airport got on the wrong truck.  Luggage was loaded onto our ship and some luggage loaded back into the small boat. There were also a couple of people dressed in cooks uniforms that boarded our ship also.

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

Yikes, what about their luggage?

I remember sailing on grand from Ft. Lauderdale shortly after it entered service.

Luggage that coulnd't be delivered ... lost tag, or whatever ... what lined up near the purser's desk.

In the lineup was a bag for a holland american ship.

20 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

In the lineup was a bag for a holland american ship.

... and THAT is why we always "cross pack" - half of my things in one suitcase, the other half in the other... that way, if one of our bags go astray, at least we have some of our things!

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Boarding Caribbean Princess recently there was a passenger in line at the entrance to security that was told to go to terminal 21 as there were sailing on the Island Princess.  Don’t know how the luggage handlers can miss the island Princess name on the luggage tag

14 hours ago, TahitiDreaming said:

... and THAT is why we always "cross pack" - half of my things in one suitcase, the other half in the other... that way, if one of our bags go astray, at least we have some of our things!

Gosh, I've never hard of doing this.  What a great idea!

Not at embarkation, but at a port call in Alaska a few years ago. A couple of people tried to board Golden Princess, only to be turned away when they had their cards scanned. They had forgotten where their ship was berthed. Unfortunately for them, their ship had departed an hour earlier.

6 hours ago, sergeant655 said:

Boarding Caribbean Princess recently there was a passenger in line at the entrance to security that was told to go to terminal 21 as there were sailing on the Island Princess.  Don’t know how the luggage handlers can miss the island Princess name on the luggage tag

Basically the porters are just looking that the tag was "Princess".  They probably assumed that the passenger had shown up the for the correct ship/dock.

Sometimes early in the season, taxi/Uber drivers will drop off passengers at the wrong pier in Seattle - Pier 66 (NCL) and Pier 91 (HAL & PCL on weekends).  Luckily it is caught while the passengers are still outside the terminal, and they are assisted in finding a cab to take them to the correct terminal.

When it comes to our luggage it stays with us until we get to the pier where we personally turn it over to the longshoreman.  No way do we trust others to transfer our luggage.  Perhaps we are overly cautious but have not lost any luggage in more than forty years of extensive travel.

Hank

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Near PDX said:

Yes, we have witnessed it happening. We did a BTB in FLL but transferring from first cruise on Regal at pier 2 to 2nd cruise on Coral @pier 21. Princess transferred us from 2 to 21 in a van. It was REALLY tense in that van.  There was another couple in the van with us who had used Princess pre-stray and transfers and got out with luggage at the first stop, the Regal and said they made it onto the Regal when it was discovered. Princesses  could not find their luggage and our first port was Aruba. To say they were upset is putting it mildly 

Maybe some of the confusion is that Regal sails mostly from TERMINAL 2 not Pier 2 in Port Everglades.  Pier 2 is a different location from Terminal 2.  We are on Regal now and when we sailed out last Sunday, Caribbean Princess was docked at Pier 2 and Regal was docked at Terminal 2.  If you ask an Uber or Lyft to take you to Pier 2 when your ship is leaving from Terminal 2, there's a good chance your luggage will be going on a separate cruise...:classic_huh:  Ultimately, it is the passenger's responsibility to know where to board their ship.

18 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Maybe some of the confusion is that Regal sails mostly from TERMINAL 2 not Pier 2 in Port Everglades.  Pier 2 is a different location from Terminal 2.  We are on Regal now and when we sailed out last Sunday, Caribbean Princess was docked at Pier 2 and Regal was docked at Terminal 2.  If you ask an Uber or Lyft to take you to Pier 2 when your ship is leaving from Terminal 2, there's a good chance your luggage will be going on a separate cruise...:classic_huh:  Ultimately, it is the passenger's responsibility to know where to board their ship.

A visual of Daniel A's comment:  https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Map_Update_Feb_5_2019_c3513794-cec5-467a-899d-9242d64c9c90.pdf

Pier 2 is not used by cruise ships (cruise terminal numbers are marked in yellow).  I bet Caribbean Princess was docked at terminal 4 which is right next to terminal 2 (there is no terminal 3).

For newbies arriving at Port Everglades:  there are large signs at each security booth with the location of each cruise ship.  The problem with that is terminals 2 and 4 are before the security booth on Eisenhower Blvd and the sign IIRC.