Ladies capris ok in dining room?

barbaraanne

I had planned on bringing a few pairs of capris to wear in the dining room on Sky Princess Feb 22 on smart casual nights.  Will they be ok with a nice top, or do I need pants?  Are men allowed to wear dress shorts on smart casual nights?  I have dresses for formal nights.  I see no mention of capris in Princess FAQs.  Thank you!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dawniepoo said:

Capris are fine for non-formal evenings in the dining room.  

Correct. Just no capris, shorts, flip flops, tank tops on formal nights. We

have seen people turned away for such and jeans too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Our experience, no shorts for men at dinner MDR, will get turned away, breakfast and lunch okay for shorts,  okay for Capris for women MDR on smart casual nights.

On several occasions I have seen men turned away at the door of the MDR if they are wearing shorts. For women, I suggest that a pair of long pants is preferable to capris.

You can definitely wear capris on the Sky on a February cruise in the Caribbean on smart casual nights - you will not be turned away. 

A gentleman posted a couple of years ago photos of him wearing dress shorts in the main dining room on a Caribbean cruise - he was never denied entry. 

I have found that the dress code enforcement is very lax and as the years go by we have been bringing fewer formal clothes with us. DH now wears a dress shirt and dress pants on formal nights and has never been turned away.

4 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Our experience, no shorts for men at dinner MDR, will get turned away, breakfast and lunch okay for shorts,  okay for Capris for women MDR on smart casual nights.

Right...that has been our experience.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

On several occasions I have seen men turned away at the door of the MDR if they are wearing shorts. For women, I suggest that a pair of long pants is preferable to capris.

That was my brother-in-law's experience on our Princess cruise.  He was denied entry at dinner because he was wearing shorts.  Well, he was asked to return with "proper" clothes.  He never returned to the MDR for dinners.  

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

That was my brother-in-law's experience on our Princess cruise.  He was denied entry at dinner because he was wearing shorts.  Well, he was asked to return with "proper" clothes.  He never returned to the MDR for dinners.  

It's a pity that he apparently felt he didn't want to go back to the MDR for dinner. Of course, if people read the dress code they wouldn't have to suffer the embarrassment of being turned away. I mean no offence by saying this. 🙂 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It's a pity that he apparently felt he didn't want to go back to the MDR for dinner. Of course, if people read the dress code they wouldn't have to suffer the embarrassment of being turned away. I mean no offence by saying this. 🙂 

Oh, he knew the dress code.  He's been on Princess before.  He was pushing his luck.  He's also a "No one is going to tell me how to dress" person.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tak8 said:

Dress shorts for men are iffy.  Some have reported men getting in for dinner, others have mentioned men asked to change.  Depends on who is guarding the door.

Hubby got turned back with dress shorts And button down skirt on a smart casual nite 🙄

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

But permissable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Potstech said:

What kind of "skirt" was Hubby wearing?  I know you meant shirt or did you?

... haha .. or did I?? Yes clumsy thumbsy for sure but you indirectly raise an interesting point .. what IF a gentleman chose to wear a kilt or a skirt .. that would expose the same amount of leg as dress shorts. And it’s ok for women to wear skirts ( now you've got me double checking my spelling!!) .

i dunno slippery slope with gender, dress, identity .. clean, neat and tidy works for me. 

• Like 1

We just returned from a 5 day La to Cabo cruise. Men in short (mid thigh) shorts, flip flops ball caps and Tank tops were evident in all dinning rooms when  over night in Cabo. Princess no longer enforces a dress code. Wear what you want.

Edited by WmFCoyote
Spelling

1 hour ago, remydiva said:

... haha .. or did I?? Yes clumsy thumbsy for sure but you indirectly raise an interesting point .. what IF a gentleman chose to wear a kilt or a skirt .. that would expose the same amount of leg as dress shorts. And it’s ok for women to wear skirts ( now you've got me double checking my spelling!!) .

i dunno slippery slope with gender, dress, identity .. clean, neat and tidy works for me. 

Actually the correct way of wearing a kilt is with long socks hence not as much leg is exposed.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, barbaraanne said:

I had planned on bringing a few pairs of capris to wear in the dining room on Sky Princess Feb 22 on smart casual nights.  Will they be ok with a nice top, or do I need pants?  Are men allowed to wear dress shorts on smart casual nights?  I have dresses for formal nights.  I see no mention of capris in Princess FAQs.  Thank you!

I have been on 8 Princess cruises since 2004 and will be sailing on my 9th on the Sky the cruise prior to yours and have worn a more dressy capri on each of my cruises and a few pairs are packed for this one and have never been turned away from the dining room.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, remydiva said:

Kilts are permitted. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WmFCoyote said:

We just returned from a 5 day La to Cabo cruise. Men in short (mid thigh) shorts, flip flops ball caps and Tank tops were evident in all dinning rooms when  over night in Cabo. Princess no longer enforces a dress code. Wear what you want.

I think it was the nature of the cruise 5 day Cabo, anything goes.  For longer cruises and different ports, different vibe.

Capris can be dressed up nicely; I have done it on multiple cruises on the "dress up" night and will be on Regal Princess shortly.  I highly doubt I'll be "turned away."  For us, gone are the days of lugging a tux and gown on a cruise when we have to fly to the cruise port.  Cruise lines finally realized people are on vacation and not everyone wants to bring formalwear anymore.   YAY!   For those who do, I'm sure you will look fabulous too.        😀

• Like 1

Nice shorts for men would probably suffice in the MDR on the first and last night of the cruise.  Long pants, even nice jeans, are permissible on all other evenings.  Capris for women .... never a problem.  Even on formal night, just put on a beaded top and nobody will be the wiser.  

We were just on a cruise where this woman had on cut off denim jean shorts every evening in the MDR ... definitely against the rules but she was allowed in.  Didn't ruin my dinner in the very least.  I just thought maybe they had lost her luggage or something like that.  Funny thing is, when I saw her disembark, she was wearing long pants.  hahaha!!  

Oh well ... like I said, gave us something to talk about for a minute or two.  

Just back from b2b in January 2020 on the Sky Princess.  My wife loves capris pants and wore them a lot while on the cruise and never had a problem in the MDR.  I know shorts are allowed on the frist night due to luggage problems, but

after watching men enter the MDR throughout the b2b cruise in shorts an t-shirts, I myself wore shorts with a polo shirt on the last night in the MDR without a problem.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, barbaraanne said:

Capri's are fine in the DR on casual evenings on all the Princess ships. That's all my wife even wears unless she's cold & then wears her jeans.

There seems to be a new unspecified dress code for the DR's that allow just about anything you choose.

Just this past week even shorts were allowed on the Regal without question...Although I saw a few women that shouldn't be allowed to wear them ever. When I saw that some of them were wearing I couldn't believe my eyes as we were leaving the DR one night.There was one gal I never though that would be admitted & I even waited until she entered thinking she would be turned away. 

It was so unbelievable I even snapped her photo but I don't think they would allow me to post it here on CC.