Power outlet by bed?

e71465

Hi All,

I can't remember if there's a power outlet by the bed in a balcony cabin. I like to have my cell phone by the bed so I can see the time and I use it as a flash light.  

I know someone will know where the outlets are.

Thanks!

Sky has a USB port by the bed but none of the other Princess ships that I have sailed on have a power outlet/USB port by the bed (been on Emerald, Caribbean and Regal.)  There are two regular outlets by the desk.

Edited by LMADAMS91
  • Like 1

I was on the Grand in November.....they now have brand new bedside lamps with a usb plug. I also like to use my phone as my alarm. It probably is a ship-by-ship issue of which ones now have the new lamps. But I always travel with a short extension cord and a usb multi-plug. I take the cord because sometimes the outlet access is too cramped for the plug. No surge protectors allowed, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, famski740 said:

Thank you for this info.  Can I ask one more question, do normal everyday american products need a voltage converter as well??  Sorry but I have no idea and do not want to buy these and then plug in something and fry it.  

this is part of the description.   ****[Please note] - This Euro power adapter for european outlet is not a converter between voltages. Make sure voltage on the outlet and are compatible with the electronics used or getting a voltage converter with this adapter

Look on your items that you want to plug in. If it says 110/240 vac then you are probably OK.  There may be a switch on the item somewhere that needs changed in order to work with 240. The ship power is normally 110 Vac and 60 Hz even if using the adapter.

Edited by Potstech

22 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Look on your items that you want to plug in. If it says 110/240 vac then you are probably OK.  There may be a switch on the item somewhere that needs changed in order to work with 240. The ship power is normally 110 Vac and 60 Hz even if using the adapter.

Thank you.  I figured someone on here could tell me.  Electricity scares me so I normally don't mess with anything to do with it.  But being able to plug in my cpap close to the bed would we awesome.   This is from the description of my machine   So I am guessing this would work.  Power Consumption: 80W Power Supply: 100 – 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 2.0-1.0 A

Edited by blue cow dog

We just did a cruise on the Royal Princes (cabin L101). Under the bed is a 220/240 volt outlet that I used for my CPAP machaine. Just needed to plug in an adapter that I purchased from Amazon to use it. Also make sure to check the voltage rating on the power pack or whatever you plan to use. Needs to be 120/220 volts or 120/240 volts. I didn't want an extension cord going across the floor so I used this outlet instead.

Happy Trails 🥃

IMG_20200210_065822352.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you, I couldn't remember. We're sailing on the Emerald and it dry docked in 2015. I wonder if it has the lamps with the usb plug in? I'll buy a converter just in case.   I like having my phone by the bed because I often wake up at night and read, play games etc.  

Normal use outlets on Princess ships are all 110v.  The outlet under the bed is 220v.

The outlet in the bathroom is unique in that a flat blade plug will encounter 110v but a round bladed plug (european) will find 220.  The bathroom outlet is meant for low power items...it will charge a phone quite nicely.

I am unfamiliar with a CPAP...suffice to say that it would need to be rated 110/220 or 220 to survive the use of the 'underbed' outlet.

Need an extention cord....reports that I have read indicate that your room steward can help with one.

Finally, WalMart sells a package of voltage plug adapters that is quite reasonable. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

This was on the Sky...one under both outer portions of the bed in queen configuration near the nightstands.  The plug is to the lamp with a USB port on the nightstand.

FE5CC338-45AC-46CF-B41A-87B94FA415F0.jpeg

3AC130BF-FE2B-47A8-A6C6-71738EE44342.jpeg

C2E94ACB-A0AF-4D58-B425-E3E5DCEB0F85.jpeg

I think you mean USB socket. They have those lamps on the Grand

Edited by brisalta

41 minutes ago, e71465 said:

Thank you, I couldn't remember. We're sailing on the Emerald and it dry docked in 2015. I wonder if it has the lamps with the usb plug in? I'll buy a converter just in case.   I like having my phone by the bed because I often wake up at night and read, play games etc.  

Maybe you are awake because you read, play games, etc. 😉

I find that if I turn the phone off then if I wake at night I go straight back to sleep.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, blue cow dog said:

Thank you.  I figured someone on here could tell me.  Electricity scares me so I normally don't mess with anything to do with it.  But being able to plug in my cpap close to the bed would we awesome.   This is from the description of my machine   So I am guessing this would work.  Power Consumption: 80W Power Supply: 100 – 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 2.0-1.0 A

You should be good.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, blue cow dog said:

ALL CPAPs made in the last 10-15 years have dual voltage capacity. This is mostly for the manufacturer's convenience. Since all of these companies sell internationally, they only have to make one model of machine which will work anywhere.

It was a PITA before they started doing this. Change a fuse, flip a switch, hope you did it right.

• Like 2