Sky Princess "secrets"?

caribbean2000

We will be embarking on the Sky in a little more than two weeks, our 20th cruise with Princess. We've sailed on almost all the other class ships in the Princess line-up and know lots of little things that are not well known about various ships and make the experience more fun or convenient. If any recent cruisers on the Sky have some tips, that would be great -  things that are unique to this beautiful and new ship. Thanks!

Gene & Kathy from Cape Cod

There is no library, but some passengers drop off used books in the back of the internet cafe where there are a few board games stacked.

There is no bar soap, so if you don't care for liquid bath soap from the dispenser in the shower, bring your own soap.

For any of the roving musicians, the best sound is in the Princess Live or Take Five.  Other venues, such as the Crown Grill Lounge or the Piazza has too many people talking and foot traffic right through the middle of the seating area.  

If you enjoy the production shows (I don't - too overamplified) get to the theater at least 30-45 minutes early to get a seat in your preferred area.

My favorite quiet spot to read was the Crown Grill Lounge or the aft "promenade" deck chairs.  

Do a walk around of the various stations in the Horizon Court before you select what you want.  There is quite a variety available.

The International Cafe does Monkey Bread about once a week.  Make friends with the servers there and they'll let you know when it will be served - and get there early for it.

The coffee in the Horizon Court was much better with the new machines that use instant coffee powder instead of the syrup.  The machines are high maintenance though, so you might have to grab a mug and try several to find one that is working.  The most consistent was the coffee and hot chocolate machines at the Sea View Cafe aft of the Horizon Court.

If you are a chair hog, bring some big clips to fasten your towel to the lounger and the crew will not touch it all day. (Sarcasm alert).  Do not use a paperback to help reserve your spot since, with no library, paperbacks are a hot commodity.

Avoid using any coffee mugs or juice tumblers that you find on the table in the Horizon Court.  They remain on the tables until actually used, so they sit there for passengers to handle, sneeze on, cough on, or who knows what.

It's a beautiful ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

There is no library, but some passengers drop off used books in the back of the internet cafe where there are a few board games stacked.

There is no bar soap, so if you don't care for liquid bath soap from the dispenser in the shower, bring your own soap.

For any of the roving musicians, the best sound is in the Princess Live or Take Five.  Other venues, such as the Crown Grill Lounge or the Piazza has too many people talking and foot traffic right through the middle of the seating area.  

If you enjoy the production shows (I don't - too overamplified) get to the theater at least 30-45 minutes early to get a seat in your preferred area.

My favorite quiet spot to read was the Crown Grill Lounge or the aft "promenade" deck chairs.  

Do a walk around of the various stations in the Horizon Court before you select what you want.  There is quite a variety available.

The International Cafe does Monkey Bread about once a week.  Make friends with the servers there and they'll let you know when it will be served - and get there early for it.

The coffee in the Horizon Court was much better with the new machines that use instant coffee powder instead of the syrup.  The machines are high maintenance though, so you might have to grab a mug and try several to find one that is working.  The most consistent was the coffee and hot chocolate machines at the Sea View Cafe aft of the Horizon Court.

If you are a chair hog, bring some big clips to fasten your towel to the lounger and the crew will not touch it all day. (Sarcasm alert).  Do not use a paperback to help reserve your spot since, with no library, paperbacks are a hot commodity.

Avoid using any coffee mugs or juice tumblers that you find on the table in the Horizon Court.  They remain on the tables until actually used, so they sit there for passengers to handle, sneeze on, cough on, or who knows what.

It's a beautiful ship.

We will be boarding in 6 wks, great info. Thanks!!

Great tips!  I am on board right now anchored off Grand Cayman enjoying my morning coffee!  It’s a beautiful day!  Am in an a partially obstructed balcony on Emerald deck.  Lifeboat on bottom half but I don’t mind.  It is good to have fresh air.  Plan to watch Judy under the stars tonight on MUTS!  My 29th Princess Cruise with 3 more booked in the next year.  Just recently joined this group and am enjoying it!  Go Princess!! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thank you for your tips, we also sail in less than 3 weeks.

I always thought the coffee on the Royal Class ships (in the HC and MDR) was fresh ground, have they changed it to instant in the WFM on the Sky?

I'm on her now. This my 4ty sailing on her and another visit next month. My only tip is..... Enjoy your time onboard. She is elegant and lovely. The production shows are too notch. Rock Opera and 5 Skies in my opinion are legitimately the best shows princess has across the fleet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I'm on her now. This my 4ty sailing on her and another visit next month. My only tip is..... Enjoy your time onboard. She is elegant and lovely. The production shows are too notch. Rock Opera and 5 Skies in my opinion are legitimately the best shows princess has across the fleet.

Totally agree. We had no idea about Rock Opera. It was fabulous for sure. Did not like the sesame street show. Found it boring. The ship is a beautiful ship. I so much to do and see on one deck. Live, for Bingo, trivia and music was excellent. Slice Pizza was just Okay. However AlFredos pizza was awesome. And also free. Nice tables and waited on. Great waiter also. Can't beat that. Only problem with the buffet food not that hot. So much to choose from and really delicious. Deserts were cold and excellent. First time I ever saw a buffet set up like a dining room in the evening. A very nice touch. Missed Take Five because of all the other options we wanted to do. Best part about Bingo. Thousands are given away at each bingo but you need to cover all in so many calls. Not on the last one though.  The last bingo cover all. Had 3 winners with over $2,000.00 split 3 ways. Not bad at all. We are booked up for this year and next. 6 each year. Will want to cruise on the Sky or another new Princess ship for 2022. So far all Princess ships have been very nice.

• Like 1

We loved the Sky, and most of the changes made to the Regal and Royal.  The beds and the bedding were divine!  

There are two production shows on the 7 day itinerary, both are very good and very popular.  Go early! For the first one “Five Skies” you need to sit in the center area or the first few seats right or left off the aisle or the sets will obstruct some of the view. If you are further back it might not make a difference, we like to sit in the lower section. 

if you are going to any shows in the Vista Lounge (the Jim Henson show is there) I found that the sight lines from anywhere other than around the front weren't very good, and I am tall.  Loved the new design of Princess Live!!  We are Alfredo’s fans and I also liked the design of it, and we found service and food to be particularly good. On sea days people were lined up before they opened! No library on the Sky, I borrowed a book from the little exchange in the Computer room, or bring your own. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Love to read these positive comments!  I'm on Sky this summer for Baltic + TA.  I've been on Regal and Royal, love them so sure I will love the Sky, too.  Taking a transatlantic on the Enchanted in April looking forward to a 1st cruise on this ship, too!

Thanks for the tip about Internet Cafe as I usually pass on the magazines or books I have with me for my long flight.  Love the Monkey Bread comment, sounds like the line forming for the almond croissants coming out of the oven!

Now more to look forward to for my August cruise!

Caribbean2000...The Winemakers Dinner ($40) is available on all Royal-Class ships in the Wine Cellars located in both midship anytime dining rooms.  Like the Chef’s Table participation is limited (12 per dinner but not available often) so we call the DINE line upon boarding to request it.  Wonderful food, service & free-flowing wine...we greatly enjoy it on every RC ship including the Sky.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Up until we got on board our dining time was 7:15, once we got on board our cards said 7:45.  Some nights we weren't done with dinner until 9:15.  We ended up staying up late just to let our food digest.  Next time around I'd do anytime dining, it was just a little late for us to be eating.

It's a beautiful ship, have a great time!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Irule7 said:

Up until we got on board our dining time was 7:15, once we got on board our cards said 7:45.  Some nights we weren't done with dinner until 9:15.  We ended up staying up late just to let our food digest.  Next time around I'd do anytime dining, it was just a little late for us to be eating.

It's a beautiful ship, have a great time!

That seems to be standard that once onboard it is 30 minutes later then advertised initially.

Thanks for all the input, with this being our 20th with Princess I am pretty well aware of the basics listed but things like no library and seating for "Five Skies" are what I was looking for, really appreciated! One of the things that has me really psyched is my feeling that after a few months of operation the initial kinks have been worked out but at the same time, all the advantages of a practically new ship. Can't wait!

On 2/17/2020 at 8:19 AM, mollygirl said:

Great tips!  I am on board right now anchored off Grand Cayman enjoying my morning coffee!  It’s a beautiful day!  Am in an a partially obstructed balcony on Emerald deck.  Lifeboat on bottom half but I don’t mind.  It is good to have fresh air.  Plan to watch Judy under the stars tonight on MUTS!  My 29th Princess Cruise with 3 more booked in the next year.  Just recently joined this group and am enjoying it!  Go Princess!! 

I rose before dawn every day and watched the sunrise from the Sky View Bar aft of the Horizon Court.  One of life's little pleasures.

• Like 1

For those on the ship, I am wondering about The Retreat. Is it really crowded and noisy? Does anyone have a mini-suite on the Lido Deck 16? Wondering if you can hear the music from the pool when on your balcony or in your cabin. Any insights would be appreciated.

If you enjoy bartender flair shows keep your eye out in the Patters.  It was a lot of fun and they only did it once up on the pool deck bar.  They gave away a lot of free drinks during the show. It was not very well attended and seemed like nobody knew about it (compared to what we had seen on Regal where people were murdering each other to get a spot!).  They like a good rowdy crowd so we all had to yell a lot louder than usual.

Several dining venues/lounges make for great quiet reading/game playing/personal space spots during the daytime including the Crown Grill bar and the French restaurant, as well as Take 5.  Also the promenade deck loungers were quiet and mostly vacant for our cruise, if you want to get away from everyone but be outside.  Cause the main pool deck was very hard to find chairs or loungers, we really had to keep our eye out for people about to vacate in order to score a seat.   And the upper pool deck was like a wind tunnel, just not comfortable for any period of time beyond a few minutes. 

4 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

grouchomarx,  so you say to  check the daily patter for when they do the mixed drink show?

Yes it was listed as an activity in the Patters. Otherwise we'd have missed it mostly likely. I really enjoyed those shows on the Regal, it was a riot. The crew on the Sky are not nearly as talented and we found it hilarious they were totally comfortable just throwing stuff around and often dropping it!  They do some crazy stuff and we spoke with the bar manager and she pointed out how hard it is for them to do it at this bar which has a much lower ceiling than on the Regal.

5 hours ago, hllwdcruiser said:

I've read elsewhere that they no longer provide the comfy chair pads for MUTS in the evenings. Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm, MUTS just not as enjoyable without them. .

Those lounges get hard during a 2 hr movie .

Lots of blankets available if needed.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

Yes it was listed as an activity in the Patters. Otherwise we'd have missed it mostly likely. I really enjoyed those shows on the Regal, it was a riot. The crew on the Sky are not nearly as talented and we found it hilarious they were totally comfortable just throwing stuff around and often dropping it!  They do some crazy stuff and we spoke with the bar manager and she pointed out how hard it is for them to do it at this bar which has a much lower ceiling than on the Regal.

yep, we caught that 'show' on the SKY in December … pretty cool, and my wife was given some kind of 'blue' drink 

• Like 2