Allure port change Friday February 21,2020

Currently on Allure and just had an announcement of an itinerary change. We were supposed to be in Coco Cay on Saturday but due to weather we’re stopping at Labadee on Friday instead. In case there’s any other ships already scheduled to be there that day.....sorry. 

A part of me thinks it’s not weather though but rather a problem with the ship. Been on Oasis, Harmony, and the Freedom class ships and never had we felt this much movement before. Feels like a stabilizer problem or something. Wasn’t there divers working under her last week? I wouldn’t be surprised if next week’s sail away is delayed. 

25 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We sail in 12 days for Spain👍

Whatever the problem is they have to get it sorted before then.....and I’m sure they will. Tonight they cancelled the aqua theatre for “bad weather” but it’s pretty clear at the moment.....except for the excessive rocking that is. 

Just now, Mapleleafforever said:

Whatever the problem is they have to get it sorted before then.....and I’m sure they will. Tonight they cancelled the aqua theatre for “bad weather” but it’s pretty clear at the moment.....except for the excessive rocking that is. 

Any Oasis ship is prone to rocking when there are swells from a storm hundreds of miles away.

As far as I know, the main issue with Allure is slow speed due to saving a damaged azipod.

Pretty sure our trip will be very slow.

Around 16-18 knots

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Any Oasis ship is prone to rocking when there are swells from a storm hundreds of miles away.

As far as I know, the main issue with Allure is slow speed due to saving a damaged azipod.

Around 16-18 knots

We had less movement in Alaska on Radiance, something is definitely wrong with this ship. Lying in bed right now it feels like we’re on a small boat on a lake. 

Edited by Mapleleafforever
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

I got off the Allure on Super Bowl Sunday and it was hands down one of the smoothest sailings that week. It was Western Caribbean and we even sailed through a thunderstorm on the last sea day without issues.

This time of year there are a lot of cold fronts that pass. Even if they are hundreds of miles away and it can churn up the ocean pretty good.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, djvcr said:

I got off the Allure on Super Bowl Sunday and it was hands down one of the smoothest sailings that week. It was Western Caribbean and we even sailed through a thunderstorm on the last sea day without issues.

This time of year there are a lot of cold fronts that pass. Even if they are hundreds of miles away and it can churn up the ocean pretty good.

Thats my point. We’ve been on Oasis and Harmony and both were smooth as silk. Even Indy And Freedom were super smooth.....this one not so much. The cruise after yours didn’t leave port until 2am with divers underneath for “maintenance issues”. I think it’s broken again. 

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

You are saying this is a unique issue to Oasis class ships? If so, then why? Shouldn't a wider ship be more stable? Inquiring minds want to know.

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

We sail in 12 days for Spain👍

I'm high-key jealous (and hoping for a ride along?)

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Around 16-18 knots

Any word of them fixing the azipod issue while she's in drydock? I would assume so but you know what they say about assumptions.

45 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You are saying this is a unique issue to Oasis class ships? If so, then why? Shouldn't a wider ship be more stable? Inquiring minds want to know.

Just sharing my extensive experience on these types of ships. Lots of folks think that since she's big, she doesn't move much.

That is a little true for up and down (pitch), but she definitely rolls (side to side) due to seas and wind. 

I also feel that when she goes slow, the stabilizers seem less effective.

I also feel that the bridge staff knows how to deal with her shortcomings, so I see no problems

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, booplesnoople said:

I'm high-key jealous (and hoping for a ride along?)

Any word of them fixing the azipod issue while she's in drydock? I would assume so but you know what they say about assumptions.

that's the plan for both counts

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, booplesnoople said:

You just made my day. Just gotta put myself up a post-it note so I can get in on the beginning of a thread this time 😂

Check back in about a week. 

We sail East on March 1

"Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East" - Gandalf, Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

That is absolutely true. I don't know exact numbers but a ship needs to be moving st a certain speed for them to be affective.

17 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

A part of me thinks it’s not weather though but rather a problem with the ship. Been on Oasis, Harmony, and the Freedom class ships and never had we felt this much movement before. Feels like a stabilizer problem or something. Wasn’t there divers working under her last week? I wouldn’t be surprised if next week’s sail away is delayed. 

We board on Sunday. Please post if you hear anything that would affect the Feb 23 sailing. 

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Just sharing my extensive experience on these types of ships. Lots of folks think that since she's big, she doesn't move much.

That is a little true for up and down (pitch), but she definitely rolls (side to side) due to seas and wind. 

I also feel that the bridge staff knows how to deal with her shortcomings, so I see no problems

That makes sense, I never considered that. 

2 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We board on Sunday. Please post if you hear anything that would affect the Feb 23 sailing. 

I wouldn’t worry if I were you. I don’t think it’s bad enough to cancel any sailings (Royal is already losing millions from Coronavirus cancellations) and she’s going into drydock in 2 months where she can have a proper repair. 

Please let me know if you feel that the movement is more than usual when you’re on her. 

2 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I wouldn’t worry if I were you. I don’t think it’s bad enough to cancel any sailings (Royal is already losing millions from Coronavirus cancellations) and she’s going into drydock in 2 months where she can have a proper repair. 

Please let me know if you feel that the movement is more than usual when you’re on her. 

Not worried....but asked in case you heard anything about delayed boarding or anything else than might impact the sailing. 

I'll let you know if we experience more movement than we have in the past. 

As much as I would like to stop in coco cay next week, I’ll take the great weather in Labadee any day over the forecast I’m seeing.  I would hope Rccl saying it’s weather related is true and not a ship issue. 

Edited by maggieq

Forecast for Bahamas looks ok for tomorrow......really makes you think. I do believe that Royal knows there’s something wrong here and they don’t have the speeds to make the scheduled ports and I suspect that it will keep happening until she goes into drydock. In addition to then azipod issues I’ve heard from people who were on June and November sailings who had ports changed due to “ballast issues”.

By the way, it’s not just Coco Cay the changed. They also changed St. Thomas to San Juan a few months ago......probably knowing full well the ship isn’t capable of the speeds needed to makes those ports. 

Edited by Mapleleafforever
More info