Online trader goes bust

Another online travel provider has gone bust.

Perhaps only booking flights, but can still catch out cruisers.

Appears to have been taking payments in the days before appointing administrators

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/24/fly365-online-flight-booking-firm-goes-into-administration-leaving-travellers-out-of-pocket

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Another online travel provider has gone bust.

Perhaps only booking flights, but can still catch out cruisers.

Appears to have been taking payments in the days before appointing administrators

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/24/fly365-online-flight-booking-firm-goes-into-administration-leaving-travellers-out-of-pocket

It is time the Government reinstates the fund, funded by travel agents, to protect consumers from TA's which go under!

The question the Government has to answer is why did the Government agree to remove protections for travellers?  UK Government has protections in place for their travellers, which builds confidence in travellers.

I am not aware of any Australian travel insurance policies which cover insolvency.

Edited by MMDown Under

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

My son and DIL booked flights just two weeks ago through this scum. Of course flights were never ticketed through to the UK but money extracted. Obviously trading while insolvent. What exactly is the point of ASIC? 

Sorry to learn that.  

9 hours ago, Pushka said:

My son and DIL booked flights just two weeks ago through this scum. Of course flights were never ticketed through to the UK but money extracted. Obviously trading while insolvent. What exactly is the point of ASIC? 

Paid for with credit card? Apply for a refund.

I pay for everything by card. Ever tried getting a refund after using credit transfer anyone?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Paid for with credit card? Apply for a refund.

I pay for everything by card. Ever tried getting a refund after using credit transfer anyone?

Yes they did and I told them yesterday and they did it straightaway. They were blissfully unaware of what had happened. I have no idea when they would otherwise have found out. Maybe in a couple of months when they went to select seats? They had a tax invoice and all the flight details. This scum had made the bookings ok, extracted the money and then did not pay the money to get the ticket number processed. Criminal activity. But ASIC and Consumer Affairs never chase these people up and so another one will start up shortly. Rinse and Repeat. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Yes they did and I told them yesterday and they did it straightaway. They were blissfully unaware of what had happened. I have no idea when they would otherwise have found out. Maybe in a couple of months when they went to select seats? They had a tax invoice and all the flight details. This scum had made the bookings ok, extracted the money and then did not pay the money to get the ticket number processed. Criminal activity. But ASIC and Consumer Affairs never chase these people up and so another one will start up shortly. Rinse and Repeat. 

A company such as this would be small fish to ASIC. What they can do and who they go after is limited by funding and where do the funds come from? Yes, us. But its the government that allocates the funds and we know how stingey they can be.

43 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

A company such as this would be small fish to ASIC. What they can do and who they go after is limited by funding and where do the funds come from? Yes, us. But its the government that allocates the funds and we know how stingey they can be.

Yes, true but they never seem to go after anyone! And all of us even tiny companies pay ASIC fees every single year so likely it’s self funded anyway. 

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Is there a time limit when credit card company will reverse charges?  Eg if you paid for travel a year in advance by credit card?

Yes I did read something like that in the Kids provider, but then they say that this time limit depends also on the service provided as well. But then did not elaborate as to what that meant. For our family the time was only 2 weeks and they hadn’t even received that Statement with it on as yet. 

4 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Yes I did read something like that in the Kids provider, but then they say that this time limit depends also on the service provided as well. But then did not elaborate as to what that meant. For our family the time was only 2 weeks and they hadn’t even received that Statement with it on as yet. 

Your son was lucky you were on to it so quickly.  I suspect there will be people who have no idea because they received a tax invoice with flight details etc.  As you said blissfully unaware!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Your son was lucky you were on to it so quickly.  I suspect there will be people who have no idea because they received a tax invoice with flight details etc.  As you said blissfully unaware!

He was indeed grateful that I contacted him and not his wife who has not long had a baby. And that he had the trip details on him and could immediately check it out. By the time he got home from work he had lodged the dispute and had a plan to rebook immediately and had sent him the link to the Facebook group that was set up for this. So last night they had the cash to rebook direct with the airlines. 

As a tip to all, if you have an actual ticket number, which consists of multiple numbers, and not just the PNR (that jumble of 6 letters and numbers) then all is usually ok. You can get the ticket number by entering that 6 number/letters into either a one World (eg Qantas, Finnair) or Virgin alliance (don’t know the name for that one) and that will bring up all the eticket details. 

There will indeed be sad scenes for many who just rock up to the airport. It’s an awful business. 

Edited by Pushka

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Is there a time limit when credit card company will reverse charges?  Eg if you paid for travel a year in advance by credit card?

3 months is the general time limit. In some cases it can extend to a year, but it's not an everlasting mechanism.

Just now, The_Big_M said:

3 months is the general time limit. In some cases it can extend to a year, but it's not an everlasting mechanism.

Thanks.  I wondered re the time limit because some people, who pay a long time ahead, wouldn't be covered by the credit card company. 

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

An update for you

cardholders are 100% protected and can chargeback when goods/services have not been delivered. Legal period to raise chargeback is 120 days from the day payment was made but since it is travel agent it will be 120 Days from the day your flight was scheduled for the travel date. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pushka said:

An update for you

... Legal period to raise chargeback is 120 days from the day payment was made but since it is travel agent it will be 120 Days from the day your flight was scheduled for the travel date. 

Where did you get that from? Different card schemes e.g. Visa, American Express have different terms, plus the bank you are with has their own overlays, whereas the above is written as specific to one.

The part about travel agent and flight date also is not correct as far as I'm aware, and could lead to being 2 years after the charge - but may be possible in other jurisdictions, so interested in the source for this.

15 hours ago, Pushka said:

Can they get their credit card company to reverse it. 

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

If the Guardian article can be believed (??) it quotes AFTA as saying that Fly365 is a member of AFTA, so victims should be covered by the AFTA scheme. Else what is the point of the AFTA scheme.

That scheme doesn’t exist anymore. It’s a toothless tiger. 

This is what they think is a help - it’s pathetic. 

INDUSTRY NOTICES

FLY365 Entered Voluntary Administration

On Friday 21 February 2020, Fly365 PTY LTD (ABN: 22606601521) entered into voluntary liquidation. Fly365, up until the time of the advice of liquidation, had provided AFTA with all the relevant information and undertakings to be compliant with the ATAS scheme and as such remained accredited up until the announcement.

AFTA was not given any advance warning, or prior advice, that Fly365 were entering voluntary liquidation and as such AFTA is currently investigating the circumstances leading to the liquidation.

Those impacted by the voluntary liquidation of FLY365 are encouraged to contact the liquidator directly and the following actions are advised:
1. Contact the airline directly to confirm tickets;
2. Contact your bank to initiate a payment dispute (chargeback);
3. Contact the liquidator

Liquidator

Edited by Pushka