MSC Meraviglia being denied access in Jamaica

allyfrizzle

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Caribbean princess was turned away last week when she returned to FLL 5 days earlier. Are you saying she has been turned away again today? Also, name of costa ship turned away for Noro? Rumors are flying around the net and I want to make sure anything I post has been verified (as much as I can verify it with everything changing so rapidly).

PS: Meraviglia still has not been cleared by customs. 2 hours at the dock.

Just had a message from a friend onboard saying still no resolution, will see if I can find the story of the Costa ship.

https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-ship-with-sick-passengers-denied-to-dock-in-the-british-virgin-islands/38014

Edited by sidari
  • Like 1

BB ... Posted 13 hours ago on "Princess cruise lovers" Group.

Well it happened! We were just leaving the Caribbean Princess Dining Room at 9:30pm when the Captain announces our Cruise cannot go into Aruba tomorrow due to Noro and we will be sailing back to Florida early.

Came to our room and just booked our same hotel we had planned to stay in Lauderdale (covered by Princess) and they will be announcing other compensation.

This has never happened to us before before and kinda makes for an interesting experience for the next two days at sea.

As the announcement was made, we were already in front of Guest Services where the line-ups started and had some personal service immediately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidari said:

BB ... Posted 13 hours ago on "Princess cruise lovers" Group.

Well it happened! We were just leaving the Caribbean Princess Dining Room at 9:30pm when the Captain announces our Cruise cannot go into Aruba tomorrow due to Noro and we will be sailing back to Florida early.

Came to our room and just booked our same hotel we had planned to stay in Lauderdale (covered by Princess) and they will be announcing other compensation.

This has never happened to us before before and kinda makes for an interesting experience for the next two days at sea.

As the announcement was made, we were already in front of Guest Services where the line-ups started and had some personal service immediately.

2 minutes ago, quakershaker said:

Yes, Caribbean Princess is returning to Florida early and did not go to Aruba. There are passengers on board posting from the ship if you go to the Princess section of the boards. 

Dang! That makes two sailings in a row for the Caribbean Princess. She returned 5 days early to FLL  last sailing due to 9% Noro (that is a huge number, cruises need to report at 3%). I'm sad that the extra 5 days of cleaning didn't work :(.

As of 10:30 am EST we’re still not allowed in Cozumel. They made an announcement that the Mexican Medical Director has still not answered their invitations to come aboard and examine the situation. The captain has changed the all aboard time to 10:30pm to make up for the delay. 

There are several people near reception with all of their luggage. 

4 minutes ago, SoundmixerVO said:

As of 10:30 am EST we’re still not allowed in Cozumel. They made an announcement that the Mexican Medical Director has still not answered their invitations to come aboard and examine the situation. The captain has changed the all aboard time to 10:30pm to make up for the delay. 

SM ... Does not sound too good for sure, hopefully something will be resolved.

5 minutes ago, SoundmixerVO said:

This article could explain your delay:

February 27 - Around 30 inhabitants of the Mexican island of Cozumel protested overnight at the decision to allow an Italian cruise ship, the MSC Meraviglia, to dock there, the El Diario newspaper reported on Thursday.

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/world/2020/02/27/coronavirus-mexico-protests-over-msc_866b1eb0-f401-4a4a-84fc-b0820dd6f7c7.html

1 hour ago, SoundmixerVO said:

Why are passangers waiting with all of their luggage? Are they concerned that there is indeed Coroniavirus present on the ship? If Coronavirus is present, wouldn't letting these people off risk contamination for Cozumel plus airports/hotels, ect in the area since there is a 14 day incubation period for the virus? People could have the virus and be contagious and not know it yet.  I hope someone can confirm soon whether Coronavirus is present or if this has all blown up for no reason 😕

Meraviglia isn't the only ship in Coz today, is she?  (I don't recall the site that lists the various ships.)  Did they allow the other ships to disembark their passengers?

This is so weird.

Business as usual in Cozumel for everyone except Mera. Infinity is sharing a pier with mera and everyone coming/going. Allure and adventure are down at the rcl pier and the web cam shows everything Normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2 minutes ago, mafig said:

Meraviglia isn't the only ship in Coz today, is she?  (I don't recall the site that lists the various ships.)  Did they allow the other ships to disembark their passengers?

This is so weird.

From what Ive read, the MSC ship is the only one with delayed disembarking due to the *potential* risk of Coronavirus onboard.  Other ships must not have any cases to report.

There must be something pointing toward Coronavirus.  It will be very interesting to see what happens when they get back to Miami.

I would agree that something is going on here that we aren’t privy to.

Latest update- they have taken away the gangway. Appears they denied mera after nearly 5 hours of investigation. Stay tuned for confirmation as this story changes rapidly

In a way I have a hard time believing that out of the 6+ ships in Cozumel today no other ship has any crewmember/passenger on board with symptoms of illness, such a cough or sniffles. I believe what happens here is a domino effect. Health authorities in Jamaica could not verify for sure that the crewmember did not have the new coronavirus. The positive result for Influenza A did not exclude 100% that the crewmember did not have corona. Then GC followed suite, denied Meraviglia again, and now Cozumel is trying to do its due diligence to make sure that there is absolutely no chance that the poor crew member has the Covid19. It is crazy, as in a normal world these things, such as a crewmember has the flu, would go unnoticed, let alone making headlines. 

I am afraid the hysteria that surrounds it spreads faster than the virus itself. I am not trying to downplay the risk of a new and unknown virus.

I am hoping that in the coming weeks some kind of normalcy returns to the everyday going of the world. We can only hope. 

• Like 1

Anyone on board the Meraviglia now that can report on what is happening on the ship.  What is the mood, are passengers beginning to get worried?  Someone reported people at guest services with all of their luggage, what is that all about?  Has there been any new announcements.

Folks that are scheduled to board on Sunday must want to know what is happening.  I know I am not scheduled to board for 3 weeks and I am getting restless.

Starting to rethink cruising right now.  I am booked on a Celebrity cruise in June 2020 as well.  If ports are starting to panic or be over cautious this may lead to a less than positive experience or even a horrible experience (quarantine).

In a way I have a hard time believing that out of the 6+ ships in Cozumel today no other ship has any crewmember/passenger on board with symptoms of illness, such a cough or sniffles. I believe what happens here is a domino effect. Health authorities in Jamaica could not verify for sure that the crewmember did not have the new coronavirus. The positive result for Influenza A did not exclude 100% that the crewmember did not have corona. Then GC followed suite, denied Meraviglia again, and now Cozumel is trying to do its due diligence to make sure that there is absolutely no chance that the poor crew member has the Covid19. It is crazy, as in a normal world these things, such as a crewmember has the flu, would go unnoticed, let alone making headlines. 

I am afraid the hysteria that surrounds it spreads faster than the virus itself. I am not trying to downplay the risk of a new and unknown virus.

I am hoping that in the coming weeks some kind of normalcy returns to the everyday going of the world. We can only hope. 

Just a quick correction for the sake of the story (based on my understanding which may be incorrect also). Health authorities in Jamaica never boarded and tested for CoV or influenzaA. They were called to board but were taking their sweet time so mera just left. GC totally jumped the gun and didn’t even allow mera anywhere near the pier.

3:00pm(ish) 2/26-Mexico authorities denied mera

7:09pm(ish) 2/26- Mexico authorities said ok

10:30pm(ish) 2/26- mera attempted to dock but aborted due to conditions (or was it protestors?)

8:00am(ish) 2/27- mera docks but no one is allowed to debark.

1:00pm 2/27- still waiting clearance. Gangway has been removed but still at pier. Announcement that guests receive 100% refund on cruise. Still unsure if Mexico will allow debarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

8 minutes ago, CruisingMom77 said:

In a way I have a hard time believing that out of the 6+ ships in Cozumel today no other ship has any crewmember/passenger on board with symptoms of illness, such a cough or sniffles.

This is what I am thinking as well.  Id be thrilled to be on a ship that only had one person with the flu on it, its usually cough, sneeze everywhere on the ship...any ship/ line Ive been on.  Ive not been on a cruise where someone in my party didnt pick something up, even if very mild.

• Like 1

Update- great live reporting going on- mexico is officially doing additional testing. The additional testing can take 2-12 hours. Captain did not say it was additional testing to rule out COV, but that make the most sense to me. Ship will remain docked while awaiting results. I would assume that she needs to leave tonight if she is to make ocean cay tomorrow (assuming that is still the plan).

• Like 1

The captain just announced that we are getting a full refund!! 

The health officials came and decided to do more tests on the crew member, we figure full corona virus tests, the results of which will take up to 12 hours to come in.

We’re in the buffet now, the mood is good and everyone is enjoying their pizzas.

• Like 4

Big hit financially for MSC.  If they are giving back say $1,000 per passenger (100% refund + $200 on board credit) and there is 4,000 guests that is $4,000,000 refunded.  Excursion refunds are probably another $500,000.  Additional food and drinks consumed while guests were not off ship etc.  This has to be a $5-8M hit to bottom line by the time it all said and done (if things go smoothly from here on out).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Dang! That makes two sailings in a row for the Caribbean Princess. She returned 5 days early to FLL  last sailing due to 9% Noro (that is a huge number, cruises need to report at 3%). I'm sad that the extra 5 days of cleaning didn't work :(.

what is it with the Caribbean Princess? We were on her in 2016 and had a noro outbreak as well. Although they did let us into all of the ABC islands.