MSC Meraviglia being denied access in Jamaica

allyfrizzle

7 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Departed on Feb 16 on the Mera.  In addition to completing the standard form, there was additional paperwork addressing those who had been in China recently (I forget the details.) 

They also were performing a thermal temperature scan on everyone.  When we boarded on Feb 16, I had the distinct impression that they were just 'going through the motions' of that test. 

I agree. I thought everyone was going through the motions and besides the daily reminder to wash your hands, little else was done. The same dirty rag wiped down tables without spray. Some of my fellow passengers also left much to be desired as far as good hygiene. 

• Like 1

For those following the story, it appears a "Trade of Rectification" has been arranged between MSC and Mexico. Basically the agreement was formed this evening and MSC Meraviglia is now being allowed to dock in Cozumel.  Just goes to show how dynamic the world is when it comes to NCoV. I'm thrilled for both passengers and those of us soon departing.

It was through a trade of rectification that the maritime authorities operating in the Punta Langosta Port of Quintana Roo, which notified the shipping company of their authorization to dock in the outer band of the cruise terminal.

https://newsreportmx.com/2020/02/26/mexico-recibira-crucero-meraviglia-que-jamaica-rechazo-por-temor-a-coronavirus/

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm going to go ahead and say what I suspect others are thinking........  Is there something more to this story than we are being told? It seems absolutely absurd to restrict entry based on the MSC press release. If this is truly influenza A ,and it has been documented to be influenza A, and there are no other crew sick, and there are no other crew on-board who traveled through infected areas,; I can't see why Mexico would not have allowed them to dock.

Until I'm given proof otherwise, I'm choosing to believe the MSC press release; but that doesn't stop me from wondering. 

My exact questions.

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It appears as though Mexico is allowing MSC to dock after-all, so they didn't take the absolutely absurd position after all. 

Good !!! I'm happy for the passengers.

There'll be a lot of stories to tell of this cruise.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Can you please explain? Here are three mainstream news articles saying that they have already been denied docking, and there is an announcement from the Port of Cozumel circulating social media that they have been denied docking. Is there more to the story we aren't aware of?

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-02-26/mexican-port-denies-cruise-ship-permission-to-dock-over-coronavirus-fears

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/02/26/world/americas/26reuters-china-health-mexico-port.html?searchResultPosition=7

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/26/reuters-america-mexican-port-authority-cancels-permission-for-cruise-ship-msc-meraviglia-to-disembark-in-cozumel-over-coronavirus-fears-.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-cruise-ship-4500-board-21584975

This article literally explains exactly what is going on.  🙂

3 minutes ago, blueslily said:

At this point, I think waiting until late tonight or in the morning for confirmation from someone actually on the sailing will be more effective. 

Its just been announced by the captain they are officialy docking at 1030 tonight according to someone on board now. They just posted on fb

Edited by Mattnvick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattnvick said:

Its just been announced by the captain according to someone on board now. They just posted on fb

Ok. We shall see what happens in the morning when folks want to get off the ship. 

Good night everyone! I've had my fill and am taking a break from this. Between all the virus and US politics talk and hysteria, I wonder how people sleep these days or don't have high blood pressure or anxiety at high degrees. It's a bit much if you get caught up in all the chatter. 

I hope that everyone gets some rest and sleeps well tonight. 🙂

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mr305 said:

She pulled up to the port, turned away and is now picking up speed.

Well I'll be damned, he's right folks. Pulling away from Cozumel right now... According to a post on social media the captain said it was too rough to dock and they are hoping to dock in the morning.

image.png.ffc70ba5153c1bd17b1b1af30c3cae21.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014

We’re on board. The captain announced that we couldn’t pull into port due to weather. It is very foggy and windy so it seems reasonable to assume that they aren’t lying about that.

Our MSC for Me apps don’t have anything for Day 5 on our itineraries, we’re hoping that that’s just a mistake and not foreboding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoundmixerVO said:

We’re on board. The captain announced that we couldn’t pull into port due to weather. It is very foggy and windy so it seems reasonable to assume that they aren’t lying about that.

Our MSC for Me apps don’t have anything for Day 5 on our itineraries, we’re hoping that that’s just a mistake and not foreboding.

Thank you for posting live. Are you scheduled (or were you scheduled) for ocean cay?

We are supposed to go to Ocean Cay on Saturday. We’ve spoken with some people who wondered why they didn’t just take us to Ocean Cay yesterday and dock there for a few days.

They’ve given us a 30% refund, 20% off a future cruise, 24 hours of internet, and $200 refundable on board credit. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, SoundmixerVO said:

In good news, the food is ten times better than it was on Seaside last year and most bartenders will just make whatever drink you want to when you order a virgin+shot combo.

Great job staying positive!  I was also wondering why they didn't just let you spend a little extra time in OC. 

I hope the rest of your cruise is stress-free and safe.  I'm set to sail on Meraviglia this Sunday (fingers crossed).

Here are the letters that the ship gave us and a picture of Cozumel from our balcony. 

We highly suggest the Aurea package, we’ve had a great time hiding out in the spa and the private deck/hot tub. There’s a French couple that likes to get a little too frisky in the hot tub but we’ve learned to stay far away if we see them coming 😉

The crew has been working around the clock and I’m sure they’re exhausted and haven’t had the usual time to recover that I assume they normally get on port days. No one that we’ve spoken to seems particularly frustrated, we all understand that these island are small and wouldn’t have the resources to combat a virus like Covid/SARS/Corona. 

D73B2266-23F8-4B5C-9AF5-15E95ACFCB0F.jpeg

58ED546F-FBFC-4CED-8321-9B90F48FF08F.jpeg

DA6C561C-035D-404F-BF32-6E4A87D0DF17.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SoundmixerVO said:

We are supposed to go to Ocean Cay on Saturday. We’ve spoken with some people who wondered why they didn’t just take us to Ocean Cay yesterday and dock there for a few days.

There might already be another ship there.  I'm not sure the island can handle two ships at one time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sidari said:

BB ... Caribbean Princess has been turned away from Aruba and a Costa ship away from Tortola due to Noro.

Caribbean princess was turned away last week when she returned to FLL 5 days earlier. Are you saying she has been turned away again today? Also, name of costa ship turned away for Noro? Rumors are flying around the net and I want to make sure anything I post has been verified (as much as I can verify it with everything changing so rapidly).

PS: Meraviglia still has not been cleared by customs. 2 hours at the dock.

• Like 1