Cancelling cruise due to corona

Not a username2

20 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

not sure what this video indicates (didn't open it) but the title says it all....IMO the press should KEEP TALKING and providing information...only way to find out the truth.  Maybe even the CDC is cautious to be open given the pressure they're under from certain sources.  Our health is more important than politics.

It is not political at all.  He makes some interesting points re the virus...and how it compares to the regular FLU etc..

29 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

not sure what this video indicates (didn't open it) but the title says it all....IMO the press should KEEP TALKING and providing information...only way to find out the truth.  Maybe even the CDC is cautious to be open given the pressure they're under from certain sources.  Our health is more important than politics.

No, the title does not say it all. Dr. Pinsky feels the press is causing unnecessary fear because yes, it's a viral disease, yes, it's very contagious, but it's not as deadly as the press would have you believe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MEcruzr said:

No, the title does not say it all. Dr. Pinsky feels the press is causing unnecessary fear because yes, it's a viral disease, yes, it's very contagious, but it's not as deadly as the press would have you believe.

Fear mongering amongst the press...who would have thought that?  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MEcruzr said:

I guess it's not that deadly to those who died?  I'm not a scientist and doctors who also are not scientists or infectious diseases experts are not weighing in on what we all should do, think, react.  They advise we listen to the experts on these types of diseases and not a certain DR P who may have a political agenda.  The cruise lines are taking this seriously and a country as large as the US should also.  Right now the numbers are minimal and I'm sure all is being done to try to curtail the spread, but it COULD spread the same way it did in China so caution is my mantra;  not overly but carefully.  The press are stating the facts, with stats supporting the data.  Others can say what they will without being fact checked and some just blindly believe.

ok, I want to take this discussion on a different tangent....

Why / How... does the Cruise Industry get away with this?  Referring to cancelled cruises, costing us, big dollars?  Without insurance.
In many cases, if you cancel, yes it is financially painful, as they withhold 25% / 50% .. depending on the time-frame before sailing.  Then they re-post your cabin as Available and re-sell it.  And if you initially bought it on sale; they now resell it for more money; PLUS get to keep your forfeited money... i.e. double selling the same cabin?
For example, any of the posters on this board; the penalty.... look at your sailing and you'll see your cabin available.  So Celebrity then gets your $1,000 + resells the cabin.  No wonder the Cruise Industry does so well.  The ships shows a profit before sailing, due to our cancelation fees.
I for one, think this is wrong....  The Airlines have done it for years; but we also know this as a $200 change / cancellation fee.  So for Two sailing, this could be a fee of $400.  Acceptable!
But 25% or more of your Cruise fare?  Not Acceptable!

Kirk

I am not sure why this is an issue for you; you agree to the terms and conditions when you purchase the cruise and the cancellation policy is well publicized.  They do it because they are able to do it.  With the exception of North America, the  majority of the rest of the world operates on a non refundable basis for most travel expenses; cruises, hotels, etc.

It is the nature of the business.

As far as the circumstances of the current situation the lenient refund and FCC policies are very generous on the part of the cruise lines.  They did nothing to cause the conditions which resulted in the cancellation of cruises yet everyone expects them to cover all their expenses.  We all have the option to purchase insurance coverage, except for a relatively small group who are uninsurable.  If we choose not to purchase the insurance, we then agree to self insure.

Edited by ScubesDad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Crusin till Im Dead said:

ok, I want to take this discussion on a different tangent....

Why / How... does the Cruise Industry get away with this?  Referring to cancelled cruises, costing us, big dollars?  Without insurance.
In many cases, if you cancel, yes it is financially painful, as they withhold 25% / 50% .. depending on the time-frame before sailing.  Then they re-post your cabin as Available and re-sell it.  And if you initially bought it on sale; they now resell it for more money; PLUS get to keep your forfeited money... i.e. double selling the same cabin?
For example, any of the posters on this board; the penalty.... look at your sailing and you'll see your cabin available.  So Celebrity then gets your $1,000 + resells the cabin.  No wonder the Cruise Industry does so well.  The ships shows a profit before sailing, due to our cancelation fees.
I for one, think this is wrong....  The Airlines have done it for years; but we also know this as a $200 change / cancellation fee.  So for Two sailing, this could be a fee of $400.  Acceptable!
But 25% or more of your Cruise fare?  Not Acceptable!

Kirk

Other options, knowing this info, include never taking a cruise because it is so 'one sided' in terms of profit or fees.

We can always do land vacations to include hotel stays or AI's, of which there are a few who have similar cancellation penalties/fees....

Pending on where one if flying from, $200 can equal or exceed the airfare, as well for 'non-refundable' or limited change fares.

The T & C's outline what the cancellation terms are and we can reject them before clicking 'book'....

Also, many of us purchase 3rd party travel insurance, which covers some, if not most were it purchased before 20 January 2020, of these situations.

I know there are those who agree with your thoughts on this, yet we keep coming back for more sailings.... despite what we may think are the downsides of the transaction.

bon voyage

4 hours ago, missm said:

As of this morning, the virus is now all over Europe. Hard to see how the cruise lines will deal with this for the upcoming summer season. Won't they just be aiding in the spread by moving people around?

With all of the potential cancellations by passengers, I will be looking for superb deals when I have not planned any sailings this year, yet ....

bon voyage

• Like 3

Good points by all:

-- I checked, as I used my Royal Caribbean Visa CC to book it.... nothing there, except for Emergency Travel benefits.
-- Yep, I clicked "Book" willingly, as I've done quite a lot.  But this time, my wife broke her ankle.  Airline reviewed, has a medical exclusion clause; refunded 100%

--  Celebrity, within five minutes of my cancelation, had my cabin available. (fast)

--  Keeping some of my money, refunded some$$ , then resold the cabin.

--  Had the cabin remained Empty, unsold.... I would understand, not their fault, money is theirs.  Should I cancel next time, not tell a sole, and simply be a no show... let the Cabin remain empty.  I paid for it..... they lose, my alcohol, my tours, my Specialty dining, etc.  And, shouldn't I get my Captains points based on dollars... not whether or not my butt is in their cabin??

Once the cabin resells, they should Increase the amount refunded... perhaps less a fee?

My point is, why is this the Industry Standard?  Because we allow it....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and on to the Insurance.... I saw mention of using a Third Party Insurance.  Makes sense;
However, I've never used the Insurance, 23 cruises.... and perhaps should have?

I like the idea of Third Party insurance... but buying the Insurance through the cruise line...
They increase revenue, selling the Insurance... you have a claim;
The Insurance division settles with you, the consumer;  We're happy.
Cruise line resells the cabin and they're happy. 
So the only one on the hook here is the Insurance division of RCL.

I do find Cruise Insurance difficult to accept (sorry to any Insurance agents), in principal; and really is a way for the Cruise Industry to protect themselves, with us paying the policy.

28 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

With all of the potential cancellations by passengers, I will be looking for superb deals when I have not planned any sailings this year, yet ....

Bo1953,

I like your thinking. 
I've bought and sailed with some fantastic bargains;  However, like many, my wife is a bit too nervous for me to book anything.
My best deal ever, was $299 for a 7 day Caribbean, atrium cabin.

Kirk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

I am doing the same thing with the stock market. 

BTW, Bo1953, I love reading your humorous and insightful comments..thanks for always making me smile!

Donna

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Realblonde474 said:

I am doing the same thing with the stock market. 

BTW, Bo1953, I love reading your humorous and insightful comments..thanks for always making me smile!

Donna

Donna,

Thank you - I do my level best to look at all situations with a biased thought towards what is 'really' the correct approach given the situation, rather I like it or not (the approach)...

bon voyage

48 minutes ago, Crusin till Im Dead said:

Bo1953,

I like your thinking. 
I've bought and sailed with some fantastic bargains;  However, like many, my wife is a bit too nervous for me to book anything.
My best deal ever, was $299 for a 7 day Caribbean, atrium cabin.

Kirk

Well, I Am sure there are plenty of us around who would take a quick trip with you were your wife not willing to join in!  LOL

No guarantee if any of us would have a place called home to come back to, yet we would make the best of it regardless, while away, or at least I would!!!

🤣

bon voyage

1 hour ago, Crusin till Im Dead said:

Oh, and on to the Insurance.... I saw mention of using a Third Party Insurance.  Makes sense;
However, I've never used the Insurance, 23 cruises.... and perhaps should have?

I like the idea of Third Party insurance... but buying the Insurance through the cruise line...
They increase revenue, selling the Insurance... you have a claim;
The Insurance division settles with you, the consumer;  We're happy.
Cruise line resells the cabin and they're happy. 
So the only one on the hook here is the Insurance division of RCL.

I do find Cruise Insurance difficult to accept (sorry to any Insurance agents), in principal; and really is a way for the Cruise Industry to protect themselves, with us paying the policy.

Kirk - I understand your thought on purchasing insurance, definitely ...

Jaded here on all fronts, yet just cannot push myself to not get it for basic things like home, auto and travel...

While many are happy with cruise line policy (and it works well for them) I and others prefer 3rd party for better coverage, value and comfort...

bon voyage

On 2/26/2020 at 11:29 AM, Pacificlander said:

After hearing on the news last night that the CDC is saying that people in the US need to prepare not for "if" the virus hits here but for "when" I don't think cancelling travel plans will make much difference. We all need to wash our hands, use hand sanitizer and stay home when we don't feel well. I will embark on the Edge on Sunday.

• Like 1

We were on the Silhouette from Feb 14-23rd in the Caribbean and while on board booked our next cruise. As always, hygiene is stressed, particularly regular hand washing.  Never considered cancelling, but everyone has to make their own decision based on their comfort level.  The ship was kept spotless and I warrant to guess that I encountered far fewer germs on board then I do going to local stores and public areas. I take precautions as to sneezing, coughing and hand washing but I'm not going to be panicked into stopping my life.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cwayne said:

We were on the Silhouette from Feb 14-23rd in the Caribbean and while on board booked our next cruise. As always, hygiene is stressed, particularly regular hand washing.  Never considered cancelling, but everyone has to make their own decision based on their comfort level.  The ship was kept spotless and I warrant to guess that I encountered far fewer germs on board then I do going to local stores and public areas. I take precautions as to sneezing, coughing and hand washing but I'm not going to be panicked into stopping my life.  

I agree...not cancelling our next cruise UNLESS this becomes a full pandemic and affects the islands or an air travel advisory recommends avoidance.....then we won't take a chance.  I've seen the ships crew take more than excellent care of sanitary conditions even with no apparent virus onboard, and I'm sure with this virus hovering they'll be even more industrious.  You can walk through a mall and have every manner of infectious disease around you so no point trying to avoid it, except by following a more strenuous pattern of personal hygiene.  Not one of these lines want a repeat of the Diamond Princess/Westerdam  situation.

Edited by oceangoer2

2 hours ago, CJFE said:

If you charged the cruise on a credit card that Had travel benefits, then that insurance through your credit card will cover you also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They won’t cover you if you just change your mind. 

We are sailing March 2... driving to port, so at least the risk from air flight isn't a factor. I am assuming we are a few weeks before it becomes an issue... hoping that the added restrictions will further assist in minimizing risk. But not sure our Dec cruise will happen... at least we have until Sept to make that call. I am usually not nervous about flu or norovirus... this one is a more concerning because so little is known... but fatalities seem high and all the videos I have seen of people in China doing face plants while simply walking down a street, make me think this thing is very different from a normal flu... but so far the lack of significant fatalities outside of China are a hopeful sign... so we will soldier on... this time we have 4 perks so... we will drink our way into a happy place and try to remember to wash our hands often.  I think the government can slow down how fast it gets here... but it will spread... hopefully an effective treatment will happen sooner rather than later.

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." Franklin D. Roosevelt as the 32nd President of the United States

“Fear is a reaction. Courage is a decision.” Winston Churchhill.

I hope to see you all aboard soon. Best wishes, Bill

• Like 1

I realize the ‘experts’ will correct me immediately, but if/when this becomes a Pandemic meaning there is a high risk of it entering your community, with all the screening done going onto a cruise ship, a cruise maybe the safer place to be! 

think about it. I realize screening isn’t going to catch 100% and all that, but there will be certainly better screening then when you go to the local grocery store and so on. I’d certainly reconsider a cruise out of a high risk port, but cruising could be safer than we think now. Yeah, more ports and so on, but a Pandemic means it’s now a threat right at home. 

Not suggesting this is Truth But a capital ‘T’......but maybe a ‘little truth’ to it. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Thanks 1