Cancelling cruise due to corona

Not a username2

We have a cruise leaving the 7th March on the summit leaving San Juan eastern Caribbean cruise. We have a toddler we are leaving behind and now very worried about the turn of events with what’s happening on the cruise ship being denied at Ocho Rios and cayman. It’s not going to be a vacation when we’ll constantly be worried about contracting this, especially the potential infecting of our daughter. If we were to cancel our cruise, would we get refunded or receive credit? Also we have flights by celebrity, upgrade to premium drinks and a tour booked. 

Thank you

With it being so close at this point I would think you would have to work with your Ins that you hopefully purchased for the vacation.  They are valid concerns but at this point the Caribbean is still sailing as usual with no interruptions.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Not a username2 said:

We have a cruise leaving the 7th March on the summit leaving San Juan eastern Caribbean cruise. We have a toddler we are leaving behind and now very worried about the turn of events with what’s happening on the cruise ship being denied at Ocho Rios and cayman. It’s not going to be a vacation when we’ll constantly be worried about contracting this, especially the potential infecting of our daughter. If we were to cancel our cruise, would we get refunded or receive credit? Also we have flights by celebrity, upgrade to premium drinks and a tour booked. 

Thank you

You need to contact Celebrity, your TA or your travel insurance company for a definitive answer. No one on here can give you an authoritative answer. 

I doubt you would receive a refund in this case though. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Not a username2 said:

Thank you

No, possibly port taxes and fees only and then what your travel insurance may or may not cover.

You will need to read your policy to be sure of its' exclusions, if any.

Based on your subsequent response to insurance input, I would venture to guess that you do not have any and as such... nothing but a total financial loss on this cruise and any other transportation costs incurred if refundable tickets were not purchased.

In health and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, farawayatsea said:

Hopefully the cruise might be cancelled.  Looking that way.

I wouldn't suggest that it's "looking that way".   Unless the entire cruise industry has to shut down, in that case I think we are all going to lose more than a nice vacation.

OP:  You would need to have a cancel for any reason trip insurance policy.   Since these are generally quite a bit more expensive most don't have this rider.  Even then it probably doesn't cover 100%.

If you happen to have the Celebrity trip insurance then it does have a provision where Celebrity will provide you with a 75% future cruise credit when canceling for an uncovered reason.

There have been discussion on the Cruise Insurance boards about using cancel for any reason insurance for canceling due to the risk of Corona Virus.   I believe it is suggested there that some policy have exclusions for this and one of the brokers recommends being more vague and canceling "because I changed my mind".

In any event Celebrity will refund Taxes/Fees and any prepaid things like prepaid gratuities, specialty dinners, shore excursions. beverage package.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Not a username2 said:

... the turn of events with what’s happening on the cruise ship being denied at Ocho Rios and cayman.

This happened because a crew member had a fever, cough and body aches. They tested and it was a flu virus, not the corona virus. 

Port officials are being very cautious (as they should be). 

You really need to make those calls so you know exactly what you are choosing when you make your decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To the OP.  At this point (unless you do have insurance) you simply need to decide if you want to go on the cruise or not.  If you feel it's unsafe and Celebrity is not cancelling it (which is unlikely) then it becomes your choice.  Some people feel the fear of the virus is such that they won't go but again, that is their choice.

I have a cruise on March 7th also and based on the information I have it's probably safer in the caribbean than it is in most major cities.

Good luck with whatever your decision is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Definately a personal decision. If you are afraid to cruise - don't cruise. Being a train the entire week would be awful. Making your decision based on money is always not a good decision. You need to do what you think is the best for you and you family.

To the other posters - insurance purchased after the outbreak likely will not pay if you simply decide not to cruise.

31 minutes ago, MEcruzr said:

This happened because a crew member had a fever, cough and body aches. They tested and it was a flu virus, not the corona virus. 

Port officials are being very cautious (as they should be).

I would say very unlikely to be cancelled!! There will be a lot of colds, viruses and flu about at the moment that have very similar symptoms to coronavirus. Very few cruise ships have been affected but the 2 that have got lots of media coverage. You have more chance of catching infuenza, if you haven't been vaccinated, than catching coronavirus. Ports are understandably being cautious but it is very likely that there will be more cases in the USA in the near future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not a username2 said:

Thank you

Why cancel?  No Coronavirus in South Florida or anywhere in the Caribbean.  We leave for FLL in three days.

Check out this up-to-date site:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Good Luck, (I think you would lose every thing if you cancel now)

Kel

• Like 6

1 hour ago, farawayatsea said:

Hopefully the cruise might be cancelled.  Looking that way.

Well I hope not.  We are on that cruise. 🙂 

We tend to buy insurance that covers cancellation for any reason but we are young seniors with an elderly parent.  

OP - Completely understand your concerns.  If you feel anxious about going, then research your options and reschedule.     

1 minute ago, paphoslady said:

You have more chance of catching infuenza.......

It's not the thought of contracting COVID-19 it's the reaction that ensues that concerns me - quarantine in a claustrophobic cabin is not for me.  I definitely will not cruise now or in the immediate future until the situation is more clear.

34 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

It's not the thought of contracting COVID-19 it's the reaction that ensues that concerns me - quarantine in a claustrophobic cabin is not for me.  I definitely will not cruise now or in the immediate future until the situation is more clear.

To me, it’s the possibility of infecting my innocent little 2 yr old. Also other loved ones.

Edited by Not a username2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kelmac said:

Why cancel?  No Coronavirus in South Florida or anywhere in the Caribbean.  We leave for FLL in three days.

Check out this up-to-date site:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Good Luck, (I think you would lose every thing if you cancel now)

Kel

How about the international crew who come from so many different countries?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After hearing on the news last night that the CDC is saying that people in the US need to prepare not for "if" the virus hits here but for "when" I don't think cancelling travel plans will make much difference. We all need to wash our hands, use hand sanitizer and stay home when we don't feel well. I will embark on the Edge on Sunday.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Pacificlander said:

After hearing on the news last night that the CDC is saying that people in the US need to prepare not for "if" the virus hits here but for "when" I don't think cancelling travel plans will make much difference. We all need to wash our hands, use hand sanitizer and stay home when we don't feel well. I will embark on the Edge on Sunday.

I agree with this. Likely sooner or later you will be in a location where there is a possibility (however, unlikely) of being exposed. Whether it's this trip now or the supermarket in your home town in a few months. The Caribbean has not experienced much if any infection of this virus. I would not be concerned about traveling there are this point in time. You can use good health practices on the ship. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pacificlander said:

bon voyage

52 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

How about the international crew who come from so many different countries?

Check the Celebrity e-mails and post on their page. They are not allowing boarding to anyone - passenger or crew - who has travel thru the infected countries within 14 days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If they are not allowing boarding to anyone - passenger or crew - who has travel thru the infected countries within 14 days...….

So if I have a cruise departing Rome and I arrive in Rome the day before, will they refused me entry onto the ship as Italy is one of the counties listed?  How will that work if they are departing from the same country that they are banning travel from?

• Like 1