To cancel or not to cancel. Advice please

Postman806

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

We're booked on the Diamond Princess (yes, THAT one) but not until April 2021. No plans to change anything with more than a year to go.

You will have all new beds as Princess is removing and destroying the existing beds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You will have all new beds as Princess is removing and destroying the existing beds.

Yes, I read the other day that Princess is removing and disposing of all bed linens, towels, pillows, essentially anything that comes in direct contact with a passenger's skin. They're also doing an RFP for total remediation of the ship to thoroughly disinfect and sanitize it. With any luck we'll be on the cleanest ship at sea! ☺️

• Like 1

https://www.kron4.com/health/coronavirus/local-emergency-declared-in-sonoma-county-after-person-tests-presumptive-positive-for-coronavirus/

Authorities said the patient had recently returned from a cruise ship that departed from San Francisco to Mexico. The patient, who has been in Sonoma County for 10 days, is showing symptoms of coronavirus and is currently in stable condition and under isolation at a local hospital.

SF to Mexico has to be Princess or Carnival, right? Or am I overlooking other lines?

• Like 1

There have been several port stops in the Caribbean over the past few days that have not permitted cruise ships to dock/disembark so that is always something to consider. I do enjoy my time on the ship but if you are looking forward to a specific port and they cannot dock, that is something to consider. 

My cousin and her husband just cancelled a November cruise out of Miami on Oceania. Had lunch with a friend on Saturday and she and her husband have a trip planned for May for London and northern England, Scotland and Ireland. Not yet planning to cancel but will wait to see what develops.

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

What do all of these posts have to do with giving the cruiser advice on whether to cruise or cancel?  Please don't hijack the thread - maybe start a new thread about reasons why people cough.

Wow Daniel A!!  Sorry to upset your day!!  We did NOT hijack the thread!  LOL!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

What do all of these posts have to do with giving the cruiser advice on whether to cruise or cancel?  Please don't hijack the thread - maybe start a new thread about reasons why people cough.

You are missing the point. Some may want to consider cancelling a cruise because they have a cough not related to infections, but are concerned about freaking people out. These thoughts are definitely on point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hllwdcruiser said:

We are sailing on the Sky in less than 5 days and have had absolutely no thoughts of canceling. The ship appears pretty much sold out so apparently we are not alone...

We are also going on the Sky this weekend. Some of our friends have encouraged us to cancel, but we plan on going. I am usually vigilant about hand washing/sanitizing anyway. We have just as much of a chance to catch the virus at my local grocery store in South Florida with all the snowbirds and tourists as we do on a ship.  To me right now, the bigger concern is that we could get stuck on a quarantined ship for weeks on end. That said, the suitcases are out and ready for packing. 

• Like 2

We sail on Grand on 29th , and considering cancelling as Seattle and Astoria are ports of call.

Our Granddaughters school in Lake Oswego is closed as an employee there is in hospital and tested positive ...

All this is a little too close for comfort.

Just had a wonderful 2 weeks on Sky Princess .

On 2/27/2020 at 5:26 PM, memoak said:

I don’t understand. What is the issue with the west coast and Hawaii. Very few cases on this coast and I ships being turned away

The first US case was in Snohomish, north of Seattle.  Western WA is having an outbreak.  As of this morning, 7 people have died.  

17 hours ago, itching2cruiseagain said:

We are also going on the Sky this weekend. Some of our friends have encouraged us to cancel, but we plan on going. I am usually vigilant about hand washing/sanitizing anyway. We have just as much of a chance to catch the virus at my local grocery store in South Florida with all the snowbirds and tourists as we do on a ship.  To me right now, the bigger concern is that we could get stuck on a quarantined ship for weeks on end. That said, the suitcases are out and ready for packing. 

Family and friends have encouraged us to cancel as well. We have Princess Platinum Insurance but unless I hear of an outbreak on the Sky we will most definitely be at that dock by 11:00 AM on Saturday!

I don't know how it is in Parkland, but we've had a heck of a time trying to find Clorox Wipes, Wet Ones etc. Our local Walmart was decimated but we finally found some in a Dollar General nearby. We also bought a small can of Lysol spray. 

I always wipe down all the surfaces in the cabin upon boarding but am now thinking that it's probably useless unless I do it all over again after Stewart has cleaned up. I'm not sure I can be that fanatical. 

I, too have a compromised Immune System that requires me taking IVGammaGlobulin every four weeks. I have done this for 10 years. If your wife requires medication for such, I would definitely cancel. I am very careful when and where I go even locally. I have been on cruises and sometimes where masks in places like the theater where I’m not sure of the people sitting around me or look for an end seat with my husband on the inside. I also wash my hands ALL the time. Its just not worth the risk to me. I am not familiar with how severe your wife is. Only you can decide.I have the disease Common Variable Immundeficiency CVID.Her Dr. might give her a prophylactic antibiotic but that wouldn’t work on a virus. Best wishes.

• Like 2

Although it's wise to wipe down surfaces as you go, there's no end to it as long as COVID-19 remains on the rampage.  Is that the way you want to cruise?  And are you good at picking where it will seize its next victim?  Be cool about booking in a heat.  Don't be in a rush to follow the lemmings.

This is a different decision.  We had this very discussion before leaving on our February cruise right before news broke of the Diamond quarantine, but just after news of a ship being quarantined in Italy.  We decided the disappointment of canceling would crushing and maybe canceling would be overreacting.  

Frankly, in retrospect, perhaps we should have canceled.  The cruise was not as carefree and relaxing as usual.  The internet speed has improved and I found myself checking for news of the Diamond everyday.  We were not allowed to go ashore at two of our scheduled ports, but good substitutions were provided. I wasn’t the only one checking the internet for info on the Diamond.  I saw others doing so at the IC.  And people were talking about it.  And every time someone coughed, which was often, it crossed my mind.  We still had a nice cruise, but not as nice as usual.  

If you decide to cancel, maybe you can take the sting out of it by planning a much bigger and better cruise for the future when things have settled down.  The Tahiti cruise is a fantastic cruise.

I agree with others, talk to your doctor.  if you cancel, Maybe you can treat yourself to something else in the meanwhile.  Many people say one derives more happiness from money spent on experiences rather than items...but maybe there is some item you could treat yourself to.  Whatever you decide, we wish you the best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Family and friends have encouraged us to cancel as well. We have Princess Platinum Insurance but unless I hear of an outbreak on the Sky we will most definitely be at that dock by 11:00 AM on Saturday!

I don't know how it is in Parkland, but we've had a heck of a time trying to find Clorox Wipes, Wet Ones etc. Our local Walmart was decimated but we finally found some in a Dollar General nearby. We also bought a small can of Lysol spray. 

I always wipe down all the surfaces in the cabin upon boarding but am now thinking that it's probably useless unless I do it all over again after Stewart has cleaned up. I'm not sure I can be that fanatical. 

We also have Platinum Insurance and barring a drastic change plan to be at the dock too 🙂 

I was at our local big box store over the weekend and they were out of cleaning wipes and spring water. They called it prep for hurricane Corona. We ordered these https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/894866/Clorox-Healthcare-Hydrogen-Peroxide-Disinfecting-Wipes/  They are scheduled for delivery to our office tomorrow. If they don't come in, I'll check the Dollar Store. Worst case, I'll bring a roll of paper towels and spray cleaner. Good thing I can bring as many suitcases as I can fit in my car. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 9:39 PM, darinscruising said:

Just go...  Life is too short, enjoy yourselfs, .....just got diagnosed  with  cancer,  start chemo  a few  days  before  I get on the sky , (march 14),  I am going,  53 years old,  )...

As someone who went through chemo 3 years ago, the first week after my first treatment was my worst.  On Day 4 I had my eyes open a total of about 5 minutes the entire day.  I surely would not have wanted to be anywhere but in my home.  I don't advice putting chemo off, but perhaps it would be better to push your chemo back a week and start right when you get home?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itching2cruiseagain said:

We also have Platinum Insurance and barring a drastic change plan to be at the dock too 🙂 

I was at our local big box store over the weekend and they were out of cleaning wipes and spring water. 

Ugh - I haven't bought the water yet - I'm hitting Publix tomorrow, hopefully they'll have it in stock. 

Hurricane Corona? Gotta love it.

Did you see there were several open cabins showing today including, minis, the OV suite and the Sky suite? There must have been a lot of cancellations in the last few days - but judging by the fares listed, they certainly aren't giving them away. Part of me feels like I'm being a bit of an Ostrich with my head in the sand. Are we being absolutely foolish going ahead with this trip??? We just calculated what meds we need to bring for the additional 2 weeks. I just take supplements but Steve is on 3 prescriptions. 😳

Our cabin is marked no upgrade so we haven't been offered any upsells or upgrades, have you?

Off topic for a moment - One time on the Regal we were given an upgrade to a midship dolphin balcony - it was awful - our view was the top of the lifeboat used for tenders which was level with our balcony floor. IMHO it should have been sold as a partially obstructed. Every time they needed the tender or used it for the safety exercises, there would be members of the crew standing on the top of the tender, able to see directly into our cabin. Ever since,, we've always had our bookings marked no upgrade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Ugh - I haven't bought the water yet - I'm hitting Publix tomorrow, hopefully they'll have it in stock. 

Hurricane Corona? Gotta love it.

Did you see there were several open cabins showing today including, minis, the OV suite and the Sky suite? There must have been a lot of cancellations in the last few days - but judging by the fares listed, they certainly aren't giving them away. Part of me feels like I'm being a bit of an Ostrich with my head in the sand. Are we being absolutely foolish going ahead with this trip??? We just calculated what meds we need to bring for the additional 2 weeks. I just take supplements but Steve is on 3 prescriptions. 😳

Our cabin is marked no upgrade so we haven't been offered any upsells or upgrades, have you?

Off topic for a moment - One time on the Regal we were given an upgrade to a midship dolphin balcony - it was awful - our view was the top of the lifeboat used for tenders which was level with our balcony floor. IMHO it should have been sold as a partially obstructed. Every time they needed the tender or used it for the safety exercises, there would be members of the crew standing on the top of the tender, able to see directly into our cabin. Ever since,, we've always had our bookings marked no upgrade.

That room on the Regal sounds like a nightmare.

I doubt will be offered an upgrade, we already have a penthouse suite. I did see that there were so many open cabins, I posted it in our roll call.

I've also thought a better week being like ostriches with her head in the sand, but I don't think so. I think Iwehave just as much of a chance having something happen here as on the ship. I might as well enjoy my week at sea. My husband's cousin and his wife are on a ship this week. They texted us from St Thomas today. They're not having any problems. We are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 6:17 PM, Postman806 said:

We are booked on a cruise March 29. My wife has a compromised immune system and so, due to the coronavirus , we are really weighing the option of just canceling this cruise  and not taking any chances.   We got the standard trip insurance through Princess which would offer a 75% credit toward a future cruise.   Of course we will wait until shortly before the cruise to make our final decision but I’m just wondering on the off chance that this thing goes sideways and princess cancels this cruise I assume we would get a 100% credit toward a future cruise? I guess this would affect how Long we wait to actually cancel our cruise.   What would you do in my situation?

I'm in your situation, we sail on the Royal Princess 3-14 from LA to the Mexican Riviera, we live in Boston. We're are veryconcerned and nervous abour what to do, for now we are watching, the Royal should be docking in LA tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if it's allowed and what people on the current cruise on the Royal have to say about their experience...

1 hour ago, ano said:

Maybe this will help...

New CDC guidance says older adults should 'stay at home as much as possible' due to coronavirus

Please define "older adults" I'm 59 but by no means some little old decrepit bent over falling apart old guy. I'm pretty spry for my age.

Just now, zedd said:

Please define "older adults" I'm 59 but by no means some little old decrepit bent over falling apart old guy. I'm pretty spry for my age.

They define it as 60, but its something you will have to define yourself.