UPDATE - Royal and Celebrity reduced final payment date to 60 days....selected sailings

klove613

20 minutes ago, lori-annk said:

I’m on the June 6 sailing out of Barcelona and then Rome called my online TA yesterday because they submitted final payment on the 26 to my credit card on file. They said there’s nothing I can do, do you recommend I call celebrity

Did Celebrity extend your final payment date? If so, I think you could still get a refund. Celebrity should be able to tell you if they extended the date.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lori-annk said:

I’m on the June 6 sailing out of Barcelona and then Rome called my online TA yesterday because they submitted final payment on the 26 to my credit card on file. They said there’s nothing I can do, do you recommend I call celebrity

Yes

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Not being able to go and not being able to have travel insurance when you go are two very different things. Anyone reading these boards knows that many, many Celebrity and other cruisers never bother with travel insurance.

Yeah, the good old days. We have never bought more than full medical  coverage in the past, but would not try that approach nowadays.

Edited by OuiOnboard
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Harvey1976 said:

Celebrity UK seem to have been doing this for ages as my booking with them has always been today and I sail on the 25th April. 

Different T&Cs over here to those in the US - FP is 57 days out.

52 minutes ago, lori-annk said:

Celebrity will just refer you back to your TA.  I am on the sailing on Apex arriving Barcelona June 6th.  I made final payment Friday and called yesterday to see if they would issue refund and charge me March 31st which is 60 days out and they said no. 

On 2/29/2020 at 1:33 PM, Fouremco said:

Not being able to go and not being able to have travel insurance when you go are two very different things. Anyone reading these boards knows that many, many Celebrity and other cruisers never bother with travel insurance.

If you actually read the post you responded to, you might note that they were not talking about Travel insurance, they were talking about Health insurance, you know, the backup you have if you get sick? It is one thing to go on a cruise to a place with health risk, it is totally another thing to go if any possible medical expenses from your hospitalization etc will not be covered! I appreciate the comment made by az-tchr and will leave now to go check my health insurance policy. Which does provide work wide coverage, but in a Zone 3? Don’t know.

Stan

34 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

If you actually read the post you responded to, you might note that they were not talking about Travel insurance, they were talking about Health insurance, you know, the backup you have if you get sick? It is one thing to go on a cruise to a place with health risk, it is totally another thing to go if any possible medical expenses from your hospitalization etc will not be covered! I appreciate the comment made by az-tchr and will leave now to go check my health insurance policy. Which does provide work wide coverage, but in a Zone 3? Don’t know.

Stan

I couldn’t find anything on my carrier’s site. I’ll have to call. I agree that could be a deal breaker.

14 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Stan

Thanks for your input Stan, but we were talking about travel insurance and the fact that the medical component of travel insurance won't cover you if you travel to a country/region for which a level 3 travel advisory has been issued. As @az_tchr said "The issue with a Level 3 advisory is most travel insurance will not cover you if you go choose to go into such an area." The point is that health insurance is generally insufficient when travelling abroad, which is why the medical component of travel insurance is so valued. When that coverage disappears following a level 3 advisory, travel to an affected area becomes risky. @az_tchr's passing reference to his HMO was to emphasize the importance of travel insurance.

@az_tchr and I agree on the question of travel insurance medical coverage, or the lack thereof following an advisory, but I felt that the statement "as of today Americans pretty much cannot go to Italy with the Level 3 health warning" was overstating the case. IMO, you could could still travel there without the medical coverage. Probably not a wise decision, but as I also said "many, many Celebrity and other cruisers never bother with travel insurance."  

1 hour ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Stan

FYI My regular medical policy is a bit unusual. It has worldwide medical cover. Maximum out of pocket is in the 4000€ area.  It covers urgent and emergency care world wide. Used it in Russia!  It has only a couple exclusions. One of those is travelling to an area where either the WHO or US CDC have a health travel warning as is in effect in China and parts of Italy today. The other is entering a "war zone." Exclusions in policies are important.

I do have travel insurance but it is for the trip costs like hotel, car, ship and accomodations.  Medical there very limited.  Again read the "fine print".

Note - My medical insurance is very unusual in the extent of coverage outside Australia, Canada and the USA.

22 hours ago, villauk said:
On 2/29/2020 at 5:17 PM, Harvey1976 said:

Celebrity UK seem to have been doing this for ages as my booking with them has always been today and I sail on the 25th April. 

It does depend on who you book with, if a TA they want the money 12-16 weeks beforehand, if direct with Celebrity approx 8 weeks before.

18 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

It does depend on who you book with, if a TA they want the money 12-16 weeks beforehand, if direct with Celebrity approx 8 weeks before.

Yes, TAs may have their own payment terms which differs from X direct.

i forget where i read it, not that it's gospel anyway. but they had said since the virus was a known thing in january that any insurance bought after that date wouldnt cover you. what does that mean

if you get sick it wont cover you? if you get 14 day quarantine it wont cover you? or were they wrong?

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

Just curious.... how many of you who have canceled or plan to cancel European cruises due to Corona virus have looked at the number of European cases/deaths of flu this year vs. the number of European cases/deaths of Corona virus? 

I didn't and don't intend to look -- I don't remember ever Italy closing down schools due to flu...

23 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I didn't and don't intend to look -- I don't remember ever Italy closing down schools due to flu...

Yes, the media have really outdone themselves this time, getting everyone into an absolute tizzy. 

2 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Yes, the media have really outdone themselves this time, getting everyone into an absolute tizzy. 

Schools and universities have now closed in Italy.

Edited by Hllb