Cruise deals due to Virus cancellations?

SAPMAN

I would think there are (and will be) many cruiser cancellations due to the virues.  Also due to some changes in itineraries.  And some ships have cancelled trips.  

So....  I would think to fill cabins, there would be some great deals now or coming up.   Where does one find such great deals?  How does one know it is a great deal?

I think cruise companies with near term cruises with many open cabins would email their frequent cruisers of such deals.

Any comments??

3 hours ago, SAPMAN said:

.....Where does one find such great deals?  How does one know it is a great deal?.....

Do the necessary research to find well respected TAs who specialize in cruising and get on their mailing list. Comparison shop.

As for the current situation, you may be very surprised at what you find, particularly as regards premium and luxury lines. Cancellations of Asia itineraries right now are generating a lot of FCCs with a "2020 only" time frame. So, empty cabins on cruises still happening this year may fill up faster than you expect.

We just returned from a Caribbean cruise on Sunday. If people canceled, it wasn’t apparent. We also have another cruise booked for November expecting prices to drop but it hasn’t happened yet. Prices are holding steady and some categories are actually more expensive.

Im guessing that some regions will be affected more than others and you may see some great deals in Asia and the Mediterranean but maybe not so much in the Caribbean or other places where there are no cases or limited cases reported. 

I have a feeling that once the information about coronavirus becomes more factual and less sensationalized, the hysteria will die down.

We sail in less than three weeks, Tahiti to Hawaii.  Just checked prices; our mini suite would be 2.5 times higher now than when we booked.

Cautiously expecting to cruise, but watching the situation closely.

I do expect bargains on certain routes, and have already seen some on transatlantics.  I watch various internet cruise sites and when I see a price or deal I like, go to on the site that has agents give offers.  Usually we book with the same agency/agent though as they are often the best price.

6 hours ago, Tapi said:

Im guessing that some regions will be affected more than others and you may see some great deals in Asia and the Mediterranean but maybe not so much in the Caribbean or other places where there are no cases or limited cases reported. 

I have a feeling that once the information about coronavirus becomes more factual and less sensationalized, the hysteria will die down.

I'm in the same boat, waiting to see if Med cruise in September has people running away. As of right now? It's really now happening. A good example was when I booked I really debated between a Vista Suite and just an Aft-Extended. Now.. if I was to book the 1 Vista Suite that opened, it would cost almost $3000 more than when I booked. Also can't book anything higher than an obstructed balcony. Even after US said... Hey.. don't fly to Italy and this cruise leaves from Venice. 

I bit the bullet and looked at prices and possibly switching, though I didn't want to, if panic gets out of control this week. I can book an 8 day in a Cove balcony.. for the same price I paid for a  12 day Med in Aft-Extended. 

No one has dropped out of our roll call here or on Facebook as far as I have noticed (100+ rooms...) I think with how the cruise lines are handling it, if people are paying attention they aren't canceling, especially if they are in penalty. If my flights/cruise are canceled then I won't go, but then.. they also give me my $ back and normally extra if they do that, so why loose $? 

We are getting some great cruise deals in Australia at present as some ships have been moved down here unexpectedly and they need to fill the cabins in the next few months.   For example, we are sailing 14 nights in an aft vista suite on Sapphire Princess for AUD $175  (or USD $115)  per person per night.    Carnival Splendor is advertising an 8-night cruise to the islands for $399 per person twin interior.   Cunard recently had a 27-night circumnavigation of Australia for $1799 interior twin or $2199 balcony twin.   Sold out in a day.     It is rare for us to get deals like this but the cruise companies need to fill the cabins. 

16 hours ago, SAPMAN said:

So....  I would think to fill cabins,

there would be some great deals now or coming up.   

Where does one find such great deals?  How does one know it is a great deal?

I think cruise companies with near term cruises with many open cabins

would email their frequent cruisers of such deals.

I'm on CruiseCritic's email list (somehow)

and I get constant emails re. offers of great deals!

See if you can get on CC's email list, and you may need to go no further?

12 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

We’re not allowed to recommend sites.

You can just go to your favorite cruise line’s site and start plugging in dates. I know NCL is already dropping a lot of fares for March. 

12 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

We’re not allowed to recommend sites.

You can just go to your favorite cruise line’s site and start plugging in dates. I know NCL is already dropping a lot of fares for March. 

I just checked NCL out of NYC, I have never seen prices this low.

I can’t remember where I read it and don’t have a source (sorry) but I did read that a lot of ships would be moved from the med to Alaska for the summer. Maybe that was a preemptive statement (it was a few days ago, before the new cases/death in WA and CA). But if more ships in Alaska, prices for the season may start cratering.

It’s too early for there to be an impact on sailings within the next month or so.  Corona only became a topic within the past month - and for most cruises the final payment date is 90 days before sailing (75 for short itineraries). So, as of now people are generally paid up for any sailing before June - and unless they are among the very few whohave purchased cancel-for-any- reason, they are not likely to want to walk away.

We are really just a couple of weeks into general awareness of the risks, so it will take the next month or so for any price pattern to start to develop.  I do think that more people will buy cancel-for-any-reason — but they are likely to be the more forward thinking and affluent of the cruise market.  If cases continue to spread at a widening rate, fares will definitely decline in coming months - and possibly there will be more itineraries just cancelled.