Where are the Coronavirus discounts?

Poulsbo Cruisers

16 hours ago, panoramaofthepast said:

I don't know if it's coronavirus related, but we got a 2 step increase [veranda -> signature suite -> Neptune suite] for $299/person, so we took it! 

what cruise and when?

• Like 1

Until and unless it get much worse, cruise lines will try to hold the line.  Also they likely will not discount until they pass the refundable deadline as people tend not to cancel if they lose some of their deposit.   So I guess watch for 60 - 90 days out as many do not cancel until the last minute.    But if  they cannot fill a significant # of cabins (10% or more unfilled), they will try some last minute deals.     I guess the question is:   which agents/online companies will have access to these deals.

13 hours ago, cruisegirl said:

We must be on the same cruise. Rotterdam out of Ft. Lauderdale on March 27. I was surprised there’s no roll call for that cruise. Am looking forward to a great cruise.  

I think we are , cruising with 5 other people. They are from WA state, I'm from Tennessee.

• Like 1

Significant HAL discounts:

24 nights - Nieuw Amsterdam/depart FLL April 4th (this is a TA that ends in Barcelona and continues on with a Med cruise ending in BCN) - $1,276 per person (inside).

14 nights - Zuiderdam/depart FLL April 19th (to Rome) - $420 per person (inside)

there are more ...

Oosterdam sailing out of San Diego during the next month starts at $349. Verandahs are $549.  I wouldn't call it an unbelievable deal, but these prices are much lower than when I looked month ago.  

Edited by Aquahound

After diligent searching, I've found the corona virus discounts every on seems to be looking for.

"Market Watch" is reporting numerous cut rate flights in China.  For example:

"A one-way flight between Shanghai and Chongqing, which takes three hours, costs 29 yuan ($4.10) on China’s largest low-cost carrier Spring Airlines.  That’s less than the price of a tall caffe latte at a Starbucks in China — 32 yuan, or $4.50."

There are others.

See there are travel bargains to be had if one looks.

• Like 1

Went to dinner last night at our favorite Italian restaurant to celebrate wifes birthday. Our discussion turned to potential cruise discounts and lower fares because of the COVID-19 outbreak. Barring a quick worldwide recovery, which doesnt seem very likely, we expect that in the next few weeks and maybe months fares will come down significantly. Tempting but then Mrs K pointed out the destinations we like the most are the most impacted. Not really interested in a cruise to just somewhere or nowhere because its a bargain.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:05 PM, SAPMAN said:

what cruise and when?

HAL Panama Canal partial transit on Zuiderdam, leaving this Sunday from Ft. Lauderdale. I called about Club Orange and my HAL rep got me a free [yep, I said free] upgrade to a Signature Suite.  The following day we got the upsell offer to the full Neptune Suite. Since that price was close to the Club Orange price we were already considering, we took it. 

32 minutes ago, panoramaofthepast said:

HAL Panama Canal partial transit on Zuiderdam, leaving this Sunday from Ft. Lauderdale. I called about Club Orange and my HAL rep got me a free [yep, I said free] upgrade to a Signature Suite.  The following day we got the upsell offer to the full Neptune Suite. Since that price was close to the Club Orange price we were already considering, we took it. 

Nice one!  Enjoy your Neptune Suite and Panama Canal (and Z'Dam of course!)

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 6:51 PM, FlaMariner said:

I agree...I'm not seeing price drops on our two cruises booked (April to Montreal and August in Alaska). 

I'm also not seeing any "deals" on much of anything with HAL as I would expect.  With the fake news, it sounds like we are all running scared and hiding in our basements....but perhaps not.

We were thinking this is a great time to get out there....but surprised that the prices seem to be holding.......

I hesitate to call the news "fake" when journalists around the world are putting their lives on the line.  We would be in a mess if it were not for such people.  I, for one, am thankful for journalists who do their research and do not spin the facts.  Reading books about Hitler, I realize that he, among many other acts, got rid of those kind of journalists.  Would that we could learn from history.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Dunelm said:

I hesitate to call the news "fake" when journalists around the world are putting their lives on the line.  We would be in a mess if it were not for such people.  I, for one, am thankful for journalists who do their research and do not spin the facts.  Reading books about Hitler, I realize that he, among many other acts, got rid of those kind of journalists.  Would that we could learn from history.

On behalf of myself, and other credible journalists, Thank you for your comment!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Nice one!  Enjoy your Neptune Suite and Panama Canal (and Z'Dam of course!)

Sounds great!  Hope to see you on board.  A bunch of us are meeting at the seaview bar at 3 a.m. after Half Moon Cay excursion.  Hope to see you there!

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 12:59 PM, sealuber said:

I think we are , cruising with 5 other people. They are from WA state, I'm from Tennessee.

We're cruising by ourselves.  We're from Oklahoma.  I took a guaranteed suite this cruise which I'd never done before. I'm anxious to see where they put us but so far there's not been a cabin assigned.  I was surprised there isn't a roll call set up for this cruise. Maybe I'll try to do that.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:02 PM, GRACECRUISE said:

We are on the same 10 Rotterdam.  Thankful we are driving to Florida and can avoid the airport madness.  Looking forward to the cruise.  Being cautious and packing extra medicine.  

We're on the same cruise but we are flying to Florida. I'm just glad it's Ft. Lauderdale we are flying to.  Miami is always a circus.  We're from Oklahoma so driving would be too much of a chore.  We're flying in the day before the cruise.

We got a pretty good discount. We booked a guarantee full ocean view (Cat. C) on a 14-day Caribbean over a year ago. It leaves later this month, so we are past final payment now. I looked online, and those cabins are selling for about half of what we paid and Vista suites are listed for $600 ($300 each) over what we paid. That's a huge discount. I contacted our TA and first asked if we could get the lower rate now offered for the Cat. C, not expecting it and didn't get it. Second I asked to be upgraded to Vista Suite for no change in price. Didn't get that either, but HAL offered Cat B Vista for $500 more ($250 each). We jumped on that. It will be nice to have the verandah. I'm keeping up on the virus news, though. We have the CFAR insurance just in case, bought way before there was any covid19.

Edited by Iris5383
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info.  Difficult to know a great deal as so many variables- perks included, OBC, cabin differences, etc.   I will wait a week or two as I think more passenger cancellations are coming.

If cruises want to fill up, they could offer extra 10 % discount to loyal cruisers who have spent at least $300 on board per person (not incl automatic gratuities) on prior cruises. They have the data.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to mention that Friday I was able to rebook my Fort Lauderdale backup hotel room for November for a full 35% off what I had booked it when I first signed up for the cruise.  I was also able to get a very decent deal on my hotel for a November trade show.   I also scored a 1/2 price airfare to visit family this summer.  All deals were fully refundable. I am predicting some good prices on hotels and flights during the next two weeks so keep checking 

As stated, I think the cruise lines have their hands full and are holding back from drastic discounting unless the ship is going out half empty.  We always book a Jan, Carib cruise and were solid X cruisers but their pricing in Jan is a bit silly (11 night Aqua for over 10grand)?  As posted earlier, we booked an MSC Yacht club 7 night (great value and we love YC) but were thinking maybe a back to back on HAL if it wasn't that much more and are trip was extended by another week. For the heck of it and 'to save' a spot we booked a balcony on Nieuw Amsterdam in Jan and just rebooked using the big C box store which is promoting signature drink, gratuities, and  dining (plus the gift card) for approx 700 more that our initial booking. Hard to say what will happen to Jan bookings but at this point we are satisfied with this offering and will keep our eyes open. I know they get knocked (I don't understand why) but a huge deal for us is getting a Lido Cabana which we secured. Having a place by the pool is imperative and a big reason we liked the MSC YC.

Also are more comfortable with the  Entertainment on HAL (BB Kings, etc.) so are excited about this trip.

Mostly just wanted to let people know of the Carib offer on C. Happy and Healthy sailing.