Coronavirus Updates

Beachmomm

1 hour ago, zeppgirl said:

Bummed out.  We were doing our 15 anniversary getaway italy/greece cruise and totally splurged with Haven...used miles to get business class flights to Dublin first a few days, then fly to rome, then back to the UK and then back to the US.  We're very healthy as well- although I will say that this past Nov. we caught something nasty that knocked us out for the first time EVER.  I got pneumonia and husband was in the hospital for a few days with a collapsed lung.  Not being able to breathe was super scary and not fun.  Took about three weeks to get things started back to normal.  And we are in excellent health...so it worries me when dh's work tells them today that they are putting restrictions on Italy and being advised not to go there.

I hate to change plans because maybe we won't be affected and if we are quarantined, at least we have a nice room.  But our kids will be with family and it complicates things.  Also even if we opted to swap cruises, we might have the same issues, seeing as it has made its way to the US.  And prices have gone up so I doubt we can get the same room for a swap...most likely they will say "here's the value you paid, you can apply it"...our same room on the med cruise now is almost $3,000 more.  

So at this point not sure what we will do...we'll be out flights if we switch, and not sure it will do much good to switch.

I thought typically when you book flights with miles, they do allow changes and most airlines are allowing changes at this point; so my GUESS is that there would be some flexibility?????

So Indonesia had their first two positive tests and already the wheels are in motion.  A warehouse was busted with 600,000 face masks but no permission to distribute them.  They have been charged with hoarding.  Others were busted for selling counterfeit face masks, supposedly not up to standards.  Sales of a local drink supposedly helpful to fight CV and other disease is up 40%.  Over 15,000 islands and NCL not scheduled to visit any of them, so there should be no additional itinerary changes.

We only cruise once a year but I am still following this COVID19 closely.  Definitely taking it seriously but I am having trouble deciding whether this is overhyped by the media or if it is worse than we are being told.  On one hand it seems that more than likely this coronavirus is some sort of mutated strain of the flu that is being passed around and most of the people dying seem to be older people with compromised immune systems.  The same at risk group that is attacked by the flu every year.

But there has been so little testing done so far that I am not confident how deadly the COVID19 really is.  Until we start testing more we have no idea what we are up against.  Truth be known,  it seems reasonable to believe that there are already 10's of thousands of people that are already infected to some extent walking around in our country from this virus the way this thing spreads.  If you wake up in the morning with a cough and a runny nose you may be infected.  But who wants to voluntarily go get tested even if you knew where and how to get tested and risk being quarantined?  And if there are already as many infected with this virus and only about a dozen deaths so far then maybe the flu which kills 10's of thousands every year is just as deadly if not more so.  

I don't know what to believe.  As to how it is impacting the cruise industry,  NCLH, RCL and CCL are all down over 40% because of it.  Real or overhyped it is a real problem for the cruise industry.  As much of a PITA it is to get on and off a cruise ship as it is, imagine how much more difficult it will be if and when they put in place more extensive testing measures before letting people either on or off a ship?  And if you happen to be one of those that test positive, imagine being whisked out of line, and rather than going on a relaxing vacation, you are taken to isolation and quarantine for the next couple of weeks.  Additionally in many cases you have to deal with rebooking airfare to get home once  you are finally released, find someone to take care of your affairs while you are away, not to mention the financial damage you will suffer during this process.

Evidently the Whitehouse is meeting with cruise execs this weekend.  I would not be surprised for them to discuss and possibly begin to implement measures in an attempt to try to contain this virus.  Unfortunately other than common sense measures there is no way to slow down or contain a virus such as this.  It is here, we have to deal with it, and we need to come up with a vaccine ASAP that more than likely is still at least a year away.  In the meantime the cruise industry and the stock market will continue to get hammered until whatever level the affects of this virus are baked in.  And life goes on.........

• Like 3

Email I got from NCL:

Thank you for contacting NCL in regards to this matter.

None of our European itineraries have currently had any amendments or cancellations and all itineraries are currently going ahead as normal. Our head office in Miami is currently monitoring this situation closely and if passenger safety and security is put at risk we will react accordingly and potentially re-route or cancel our itineraries. 

I can not confirm if this will happen or how close to sailing as currently we have received no updates or information indicating this course of action. 

Although we have cruises embarking and disembarking in Venice the entire Veneto region is not in quarantine, only a small Municipality called Vo’ Euganeo that is Inland from Venice. This means that flying into Venice for your cruise does not put you at risk of being denied boarding on any of our ships currently. 

We thank you for your patience in this high volume period and assure you that If there is any changes or cancellations in regards to your cruise you will be notified accordingly by us directly or through your travel agent if this is how you have booked your holiday.

5 hours ago, gstrick99 said:

I found this on a web search today. Not on the NCL site. I didn't see a date but it's all I can find. Might be helpful. Not sure how it will apply if the virus picks up before our TA in April, but will follow...https://www.ncl.com/travel-alert/coronavirus

Yep, that's been around for a couple of weeks now!

My opinion is that this whole thing is going to get shut down....soon.

Schools are closed in China, Japan, Italy....if they close schools in Florida, do you really think they are going to allow cruising?

The Mayor of Miami? The Governor of Florida? Congress? I have no idea who has the authority.

Edited by CroozFanatic

I watched the CNN 2 hour special last night on coronavirus. One thing they talked quite a bit about was testing.  Once testing becomes more readily available who pays for testing?  How much per test?  The scenario they are expecting is not a pretty picture.  If we end up with a moderate or severe outcome from this,  medical experts are expecting 38 million people in our country needing medical care, anywhere from 1 million to 9.6 million requiring hospitalization, and from 200,000 to 2.9 million needing ICU.

4 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

I watched the CNN 2 hour special last night on coronavirus. One thing they talked quite a bit about was testing.  Once testing becomes more readily available who pays for testing?  How much per test?  The scenario they are expecting is not a pretty picture.  If we end up with a moderate or severe outcome from this,  medical experts are expecting 38 million people in our country needing medical care, anywhere from 1 million to 9.6 million requiring hospitalization, and from 200,000 to 2.9 million needing ICU.

Probably basing much of their prognostication on past history of pandemics, like the stuff below.

Spanish Flu

It is a shame that our schools have done a poor job of teaching history to the younger generations.  Now it's all about "social studies", not history.

• Like 1

It’s the unknown that is keeping us from planning a cruise in 2020. Feeling blessed to have gotten our 14 nights Ncl Bliss done in February.
Bermuda in May and Europe this fall on hold.

Vice President Pence is supposed to meet the heads of cruise line industry this Saturday. It’s a mess. Worldometer.com is scary reading. USA is way behind testing of virus. Grand princess is off California waiting for testing. How many infected from previous cruise. Cruise lines stocks in free fall. Buying opportunities.

41 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

There’s 327 million total in the United States. Not everyone will get it.  Of those who do get it only 20% will be sick enough to require hospitalization.  I don’t think 2.9 million in icu is an accurate number.  

The World Health Organization has said countries that are trying to control the spread are having success in doing so.  That’s the most positive news I’ve read.

Washington state press conference yesterday a woman from department of health said not everyone will be tested who has symptoms.  There’s no treatment yet so the main approach is self quarantine when symptoms present and slowing the spread with proper infection control, social distancing (6 feet from others) and avoid large public gatherings... the governor isn’t canceling large events.  He said it’s best that the businesses and public make the decisions for now.  

Going on a cruise is against everything recommend to stop the spread. I mean you don’t hear anyone except a few people on this board saying, hey I have a great idea, let’s hop on a ship where we’re elbow to elbow with thousands of strangers, some of who just flew in from an area of outbreak, and visit lots of places. What can go wrong? 

Best case scenario imo is ncl let’s me use the future cruise credits and at least part of non refundable fare towards a future sailing kinda like what the airlines are doing.  I’m in 100% penalty on my Mexican Rivera sailing later this month.  We are not going to be on the ship.  Also not canceling because no benefit. The ships can’t afford to sail empty.  They make $ from booked passengers.  If over half the paid passengers are a no show it’s not good for ncl.  

Edited by littlelulu01

17 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

There’s 327 million total in the United States. Not everyone will get it.  Of those who do get it only 20% will be sick enough to require hospitalization.  I don’t think 2.9 million in icu is an accurate number.  

The World Health Organization has said countries that are trying to control the spread are having success in doing so.  That’s the most positive news I’ve read.

Washington state press conference yesterday a woman from department of health said not everyone will be tested who has symptoms.  There’s no treatment yet so the main approach is self quarantine when symptoms present and slowing the spread with proper infection control, social distancing (6 feet from others) and avoid large public gatherings... the governor isn’t canceling large events.  He said it’s best that the businesses and public make the decisions for now.  

Going on a cruise is against everything recommend to stop the spread. I mean you don’t hear anyone except a few people on this board saying, hey I have a great idea, let’s hop on a ship where we’re elbow to elbow with thousands of strangers, some of who just flew in from an area of outbreak, and visit lots of places. What can go wrong? 

The 2.9 million mentioned assumes we have a severe outbreak.  They did not say what the probability of a severe versus a moderate versus a mild outbreak would be,  I guess all we can hope for at this point is a mild outbreak and a gradual tapering off.

7 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Forgot to mention that during this CNN Coronavirus special report they referred to cruise ships as floating hot zones.  

If this thing breaks out, any confined space is problematic. Had a recent checkup, the Dr. advised don't sweat it, but utilize caution and exercise due diligence. That being said, she also said to keep a minimum of 6' from anyone at all times (which, on a mega ship could be hard to do).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

The 2.9 million mentioned assumes we have a severe outbreak.  They did not say what the probability of a severe versus a moderate versus a mild outbreak would be,  I guess all we can hope for at this point is a mild outbreak and a gradual tapering off.

Yeah I’m still not buying 2.9 million actually in icu.  If 100 percent of the USA population got Coronavirus, and 20 percent require hospitalization and all of the hospitalized require ICU, we’re still under a million. 200 - 600k in the hospital with this virus will be quite horrible on it’s own though. 

Edited by littlelulu01

3 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

Yeah I’m still not buying 2.9 million.  If 100 percent of the USA population got Coronavirus, and 20 percent require hospitalization and all of the hospitalized require ICU, we’re still under a million. 200 - 600k in the hospital with this virus will be quite horrible on it’s own though. 

I think you are off on your decimal points by a couple of places.  Assuming 300,000,000 US population ( actually 328 million ) and 20% require hospitalization and ICU that is 60,000,000 people.

1 minute ago, seemoreroyals said:

I think you are off on your decimal points by a couple of places.  Assuming 300,000,000 US population ( actually 328 million ) and 20% require hospitalization and ICU that is 60,000,000 people.

You’re right. I’m sorry. 

1 minute ago, seemoreroyals said:

The figures we have been given by the government in the UK (which are worst case scenarios) show a maximum infection rate of 80% with a maximum of 20% needing hospitalisation.

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

I just watched a report on the BBC where they talked about the Mortality rate of 1% and the increases with age, they then put this graphic up.

DR.jpg.afecd026e906dd9c6008274e48307c5e.jpg

Thanks, we read about these mortality rates a few days ago, and this should be publicized in the US as well.  Not knowing what to deal with and how careful to be is dangerous.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

I’m in 100% penalty on my Mexican Rivera sailing later thismonth.  We are not going to be on the ship.  Also not canceling because no benefit. The ships can’t afford to sail empty.  They make $ from booked passengers.  If over half the paid passengers are a no show it’s not good for ncl.  

Anybody that recently cruised have information to weigh in on the now shows from their cruise?  I’m sure most people follow pre-sail how full their ship is for various reasons and it would be interesting to see.  We’re booked spring break Mexican Riviera and so far our ship looks very full.  We’re not cancelling -at least not yet.

2 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

I’m in 100% penalty on my Mexican Rivera sailing later this month.  We are not going to be on the ship.  Also not canceling because no benefit. The ships can’t afford to sail empty.  They make $ from booked passengers.  If over half the paid passengers are a no show it’s not good for ncl.  

Actually, what you say in your post is exactly why  you SHOULD tell NCL that you are cancelling -- if they suddenly get thousands of cancellations for March trips, maybe they will finally realize that it doesn't make sense for them to sail and then will cancel sailings and refund money

5 minutes ago, firstimerhaven said:

Actually, what you say in your post is exactly why  you SHOULD tell NCL that you are cancelling -- if they suddenly get thousands of cancellations for March trips, maybe they will finally realize that it doesn't make sense for them to sail and then will cancel sailings and refund money

I'm sure they are getting many, many cancellations.   How many is anyone's guess.  Having said that it has to be quite a quandary for NCL  trying to balance business obligations with the needs and wants of their customers.