Canceling/postponing at 70 days out

jjdmom8

Hi All, we are seasoned cruisers but first time with NCL. We are at 70 days out and I have just gotten a new job. I am not sure that I am going to be able to get the time off work to go. We did purchase the standard insurance when we booked.  reduced air was a perk when we booked and flights have been scheduled.  IF I have to cancel or postpone this trip, will we get our $$ back? we are paid in full and have a couple excursions already booked.  Thanks in advance!

NCL updates their cancellation policy yesterday, so this may be slightly inaccurate. 

You get 100% of port fees and taxes refunded

You get 100% of your pre-pays refunded (DSC, ShoreEx, Wi-Fi, etc)

You will get 50% of your cruise fare back. (This May be different with the new cancellation policy). The longer you wait, the more you lose. 

You get a cancellation receipt. 

You file an insurance claim

You wait for the insurance company to deny the claim. 

NCL will post a future cruise credit for 75% of the cruise fare penalty. You can use this on another cruise. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL updates their cancellation policy yesterday, so this may be slightly inaccurate. 

You get 100% of port fees and taxes refunded

You get 100% of your pre-pays refunded (DSC, ShoreEx, Wi-Fi, etc)

You will get 50% of your cruise fare back. (This May be different with the new cancellation policy). The longer you wait, the more you lose. 

You get a cancellation receipt. 

You file an insurance claim

You wait for the insurance company to deny the claim. 

NCL will post a future cruise credit for 75% of the cruise fare penalty. You can use this on another cruise. 

Are port fees. taxes, and shorex credited back to your credit card? Monday will be 97 out for us, will we gat 100% refund on cruise? 

5 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

Are port fees. taxes, and shorex credited back to your credit card? Monday will be 97 out for us, will we gat 100% refund on cruise? 

The credits back will be credited to the original form of payment - usually a credit card.

You are 97 days from sailing - .

Reference Cruise Cancellation Fee Schedule - LINK:

https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

Edited by don't-use-real-name

5 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

Unless you have a suite booked, yes.

11 hours ago, jjdmom8 said:

Hi All, we are seasoned cruisers but first time with NCL. We are at 70 days out and I have just gotten a new job. I am not sure that I am going to be able to get the time off work to go. We did purchase the standard insurance when we booked.  reduced air was a perk when we booked and flights have been scheduled.  IF I have to cancel or postpone this trip, will we get our $$ back? we are paid in full and have a couple excursions already booked.  Thanks in advance!

My experience with employers is that even with a new job, if you have pre-planned and paid-for vacations they will not deny you the time.  You might not get paid for the time off, but at least you get to keep your planned vacation.

It's a question I ask every single person I've ever considered hiring - "Do you have any vacations or time planned with your family that you cannot change?"  so I know ahead of time and can allow for it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, msmayor said:

My experience with employers is that even with a new job, if you have pre-planned and paid-for vacations they will not deny you the time.  You might not get paid for the time off, but at least you get to keep your planned vacation.

It's a question I ask every single person I've ever considered hiring - "Do you have any vacations or time planned with your family that you cannot change?"  so I know ahead of time and can allow for it.

It is advisable that when HR or your new boss makes the job offer, you make your pre-paid vacation plan a condition of employment.  This is when you are in the best negotiating position, as your new employer has made the decision to hire you.  And, if there are any issues, this is when you can still make the decision of accepting their terms or not.

Just my 2 cents from hiring hundreds of employees over the years.

Doug

25 minutes ago, doug52 said:

It is advisable that when HR or your new boss makes the job offer, you make your pre-paid vacation plan a condition of employment.  This is when you are in the best negotiating position, as your new employer has made the decision to hire you.  And, if there are any issues, this is when you can still make the decision of accepting their terms or not.

Just my 2 cents from hiring hundreds of employees over the years.

Doug

This.  I always appreciate honesty about future plans when hiring someone.  

And, from another perspective—we took my oldest on a cruise for a college graduation present.  She knew the dates when she was interviewing for jobs.  Informed all that she was taking this trip.  Her current employer had no problems giving her two weeks off just one month after being hired.

4 hours ago, msmayor said:

I do the same thing, or have done so in the past.

I had a similar situation and my new employer was fine with - I think it was only a few days however.  I asked them in advance but I can't honestly remember if it was during the initial interview or when they made the job offer.

A lot will depend on the type of job and your new responsibilities - but you don't know if you don't ask.  Something you obviously need to do soon so if you must cancel, you get as much of a refund as possible.  I believe if you have the NCL insurance, the fare refund is FCC but if you cancel during the penalty period, your refund is cash so you should check on that before deciding how to cancel if you must.

Be upfront with your new employer about needing time off for a pre-paid vacation - I have done this several times in my career and have had no issues. Yes sometimes I have had to take the time unpaid but I have never been denied the time off.