Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

18 minutes ago, glam mistress said:

I just saw this on the Royal roll call.. so does this mean the shared crew member tested positive? So what about all those people sitting on the boat that were going to do a B2B? My god. 

Im waiting on this one as I was on the 2/22 Royal cruise with the same crew member

3 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

you know there are only so many crises that one line can handle at any one time. ...DP is far from over, GP is unfolding and just begun and now this RP with really no explanation given to all these people waiting who now cannot leave.  Princess needs a serious crisis management team....their top brass must be really to explode.

No kidding and don't forget about the Panorama that is still on hold and passengers in lobby waiting. Just told another hour minimum. It's really only a matter of time before this strikes every cruise line based on statistics of community spread.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

you know there are only so many crises that one line can handle at any one time. ...

Cruise Critic and the forum moderators are also dealing with a lot right now. 

They all deserve thanks for helping keep people informed and giving a voice to those caught up in the events of today. 

((((Moderators))))

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, WIDisCruiser said:

Water and protective supplies. No other info Captain back on at 9. 

41410FA6-1A0E-42F9-9BFE-EF50B3811EBB.jpeg

Wow, cruising will never be the same again, LOL

Edited by chipmaster

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Sorry your news isn’t very good in Ohio.  The Maryland cases came from an Egyptian cruise.   This was on the news yesterday AM in Maryland.   Glad you have canceled your Oct. cruise, we were thinking of .

Looks like Florida has a couple of people from that cruise too. ☹️

4 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

probably will start on flights too...especially long hauls...I can just see it coming into JFK...one passenger presented with symptoms mid flight from Rome or elsewhere and all passengers have to sit on plane for hours while that person is tested...if they can find a test kit!

Yup airlines and airports are extremely high risk. Buses, Trains & Subways too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

If the cruise lines are shut down , then the airlines should be also. 

How many ships have had trouble with the virus ? TWO ships out of 17 for Princess, and ONE ship out of 15 for Holland America.   Tens of thousands of passengers and crew are sailing on cruise ships right now and haven't had reported issues. 

It's important to keep some perspective.   About 10 thousand crew and passengers on the three ships you refer to, can't or couldn't go home. Do you want to tell them to have some perspective.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

Perhaps this is the person they took off the ship already? I sure hope so.

I think they also took a couple off?

News is reporting that the critically ill passenger transported was the lady with stage 4 cancer who was concerned about missing her next scheduled chemo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2beaglesmom said:

When you call the regular princess 800 number the first thing they offer is a link to someone to help connect you to the grand princess You might try that

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did and that turned out to be an exercise in futility! However, she actually HAD left me the correct number, it seems, but so far I haven’t gotten through. Thank you all for your help.

just read on the Royal update thread that someone is waiting to board Ruby and it has been 5 hours

8 minutes ago, RecliningPanda said:

ha I’m due to go on the ruby in a few hours and embarkation has been delayed five hours. I’m super worried 

Something to keep in mind is that COVID19 tests in the US have thus far be very limited as to who is able to actually get them, so the numbers of infected are misleading and likely much higher than they appear. I kind of feel like the cruise industry is being made a scapegoat and the companies are having to take a lot of blame. The same crew is dealing with guests during the asymptomatic period, but hows that different than a land based restaurant employee who may have been unknowingly exposed serving people? If people aren’t being tested to know they have COVID19 it can be unknowingly spread anywhere. All places where there’s large groups of people should be held to the same standards as the cruises. Are they tracking everyone on all the flights infected people have been on? How about every hotel, taxi etc? 

This has all been handled very poorly but I don’t feel like all of that blame should be on Princess. From the bits I listened to of the phone interview someone upthread posted, it sounded like Princess has been in limbo about what’s going on with the Grand because they’re waiting on word from the authorities. My heart goes out to the crew and passengers on the Grand and I hope they can move onto the next phase of this soon.

• Like 14

just saw this on royal thread

Posted 1 minute ago
  4 minutes ago, wl2cruise said:
Just received a email from Princess reason for the sailing Cancellation was a Grand crew member transferred to Royal 2 weeks ago. Crew member is NOT showing any symptoms. Princess was cleared to sail yesterday but today they where asked to test the crew member which could not be completed In time so a no sail order was issued. 

Grand Princess is stopped.    That is very different from not making way (zero knots) it is a status that is put into the AIS by the officer in charge.    They appear to be stopped just outside the traffic separation zone in about 200-300 feet of water.   This is extremely strange nautical behavior.   (Perhaps they have turned of the AIS?)   What the heck?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pushka said:

However the numpties who are flogging the masks are just flogging anything, thinking they are safe and then likely neglecting to do the basic rule which is wash hands well and frequently. 

Awful lot of assumptions above...

6 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Grand Princess is stopped.    That is very different from not making way (zero knots) it is a status that is put into the AIS by the officer in charge.    They appear to be stopped just outside the traffic separation zone in about 200-300 feet of water.   This is extremely strange nautical behavior.   (Perhaps they have turned of the AIS?)   What the heck?

A boat with supplies came by earlier. Is it possible they are still loading?

Answered my own question. Nope. The boat has left.

Edited by ChiCruiser758

35 minutes ago, Mom33 said:

About 10 thousand crew and passengers on the three ships you refer to, can't or couldn't go home. Do you want to tell them to have some perspective.

It was YOU I was referring to about having perspective.  Panicking doesn't help anyone. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Maybe they are waiting for messages from traffic control before entering the traffic separation zone?

Edited by brisalta

1 minute ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

A boat with supplies came by earlier. Is it possible they are still loading?

No... that boat -- Miss Tanny -- is well on her way back though the Golden Gate. That's the Miss Tanny just outside of those channel markers. The Grand is the blue dot, lower left.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 7.27.17 PM.png

Just now, brisalta said:

There are a bunch of other vessels at 0 knots in the vicinity. Maybe they are waiting for messages from traffic control before entering the traffic separation zone?

You are seeing equipment, such as crabpots or longlines.   (AIS transponders are cheap now and it is a good way not to lose gear.)  I have never heard of anybody being told to wait, but I am in Puget Sound not San Francisco.   I suspect they were instructed to turn off AIS for some reason, but that brings up some liability issues.

2 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

You are seeing equipment, such as crabpots or longlines.   (AIS transponders are cheap now and it is a good way not to lose gear.)  I have never heard of anybody being told to wait, but I am in Puget Sound not San Francisco.   I suspect they were instructed to turn off AIS for some reason, but that brings up some liability issues.

There is a lot of traffic into and out of the Bay and the entrance is narrow so it would be understandable if they told a ship to hold position before entering especially if a berth was not yet ready for it.

2 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Interesting. Could it be that to escape the media, the ship has been asked to turn off AIS, so it's not public where they are docked? The ship is so big, I can't imagine anywhere in the Bay Area where they wouldn't be seen once they are docked.

• Like 2