Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

6 hours ago, snowblower said:

I don't believe there has ever been a large passenger liner cruise under the Bay Bridge but I could be wrong.

Many cruise ship dry docks are performed at BAE Systems, located in the Dogpatch neighborhood, south of the Bay Bridge.

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 6.58.25 AM.png

26.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, flamingos said:

It's a new story, details just coming out. The first one made it look as if Kemp was the one who ordered it; this one below makes it more like it was planned by someone else and he is just announcing it.

"I have learned that thirty-four Georgians and additional American citizens from the eastern United States who are currently on the Grand Princess cruise ship off the California coast will be securely transferred to Dobbins Air Reserve Base in Marietta, Georgia," Kemp said in a release Sunday morning. "These passengers will undergo testing and be quarantined for possible exposure to COVID-19. They are expected to arrive at Dobbins late Monday, March 9 or early Tuesday, March 10."

There is no indication if any of the people being transported to Georgia have tested positive for coronavirus, nor how many individuals in addition to the 34 Georgians would be arriving at Dobbins.

According to California state officials, the Grand Princess has been given permission to dock at the Port of Oakland on Monday, where disembarkation of passengers will begin.    https://www.11alive.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/some-grand-princess-passengers-headed-to-atlanta/85-c3c9980d-b67d-46e1-b68f-de9fb9d17ae3

So wondering if they all go on the same airplane? Testing negative, and then changing to positive on the bus.. Just seems like a potential repeat of the Diamond process in evacuation. Hoping they've learned what works best.

Edited by kimanjo

15 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

So wondering if they all go on the same airplane? Testing negative, and then changing to positive on the bus.. Just seems like a potential repeat of the Diamond process in evacuation.

it will be a repeat...still wondering if they will test all prior to departure to at least get some under quarantine...clearly Ca. wants them to go to their own states...it is a repeat to an extent but they are at least getting them on land quickly. That is an improvement.

Dr. Antony Fauci this morning:

“If you're a person with an underlying condition and you are particularly an elderly person with an underlying condition, you need to think twice about getting on a plane, on a long trip,” he said. “And not only think twice, just don't get on a cruise ship.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/08/coronavirus-dont-get-on-cruise-ship-123718

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Dr. Antony Fauci this morning:

“If you're a person with an underlying condition and you are particularly an elderly person with an underlying condition, you need to think twice about getting on a plane, on a long trip,” he said. “And not only think twice, just don't get on a cruise ship.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/08/coronavirus-dont-get-on-cruise-ship-123718

interesting wording..".think twice "about flying but "just don't" get on a cruise ship.  As someone is his target audience I would agree with that.

• Like 4

On 3/5/2020 at 5:41 PM, caribill said:

"they've noticed subtle changes on the cruise. They had to wash their hands and use hand sanitizer before getting a plate and silverware for the buffet.

"And crew handled everything," he said. "We were not allowed to serve ourselves.""

That's literally normal procedure at the buffet for Princess.

The crew serving at the buffet is their noro procedure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

interesting wording..".think twice "about flying but "just don't" get on a cruise ship.  As someone is his target audience I would agree with that.

Did not need an expert to tell me that  ...lol ! 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pegasus2 said:

That's literally normal procedure at the buffet for Princess.

The crew serving at the buffet is their noro procedure.

Given the crew are coming down with covid 19 and at high risk for it how is this a good situation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

I just read where 40 passengers are from Minnesota. We do not have community spread here yet and only one case (from another cruise) so far reported.  I don't think they are going to quarantine these people if they test negative and will send them back here to "self quarantine" and I expect local cases to start going up. Many testing negative will eventually show symptoms and be positive...how many?  Who knows but we now know this happens.

I think you might be right!!  

I believe it is now so widespread in the US that we will start to see a lot more cases of land based (and air travel) community transmission.  I was very hesitant to call this an outbreak but, now, I believe it is just that.  There are probably so many people walking around, working in our schools, restaurants, theaters, grocery stores, banks, hospitals, airports, etc, etc, etc. that don't even know they carry this virus.  I am not one to panic and think this is anything more than one more nasty virus, though ... it certainly has not proven to be a death sentence for everyone that contracts it.  It tends to really hit those that are elderly and those with underlying health conditions.  I saw an interview from a couple from the Mexico trip on the Grand Princess.  He has a kidney transplant and thus is in the high risk category ... he has never shown symptoms, not even a fever.  His wife had a fever for less than a day and is now testing negative, so a very mild case for this couple.  As testing becomes more commonplace and accurate, you will see the mortality rate decrease.  Oh, and that vaccine can't come soon enough!!  Hopefully, it will be in time to save the cruise industry as they seem to be the ones taking a big hit right now.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Did not need an expert to tell me that  ...lol ! 🙂

some do and many will still cruise ...many with serious health issues. This covid 19 situation has been going on before the latest Grand sailing...at that time only one ship but cautions were out there and still we have people now in bad situation with very serious medical conditions  on there. Knowing some under care for cancer with compromised immune systems they were told no way to go on a cruise...those warnings apparently need to get more severe

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think you might be right!!  

I believe it is now so widespread in the US that we will start to see a lot more cases of land based (and air travel) community transmission.  I was very hesitant to call this an outbreak but, now, I believe it is just that.  There are probably so many people walking around, working in our schools, restaurants, theaters, grocery stores, banks, hospitals, airports, etc, etc, etc. that don't even know they carry this virus.  I am not one to panic and think this is anything more than one more nasty virus, though ... it certainly has not proven to be a death sentence for everyone that contracts it.  It tends to really hit those that are elderly and those with underlying health conditions.  I saw an interview from a couple from the Mexico trip on the Grand Princess.  He has a kidney transplant and thus is in the high risk category ... he has never shown symptoms, not even a fever.  His wife had a fever for less than a day and is now testing negative, so a very mild case for this couple.  As testing becomes more commonplace and accurate, you will see the mortality rate decrease.  Oh, and that vaccine can't come soon enough!!  Hopefully, it will be in time to save the cruise industry as they seem to be the ones taking a big hit right now.  

nice wish but a vaccine will not help the cruise industry in the near future...with clinical trials vaccine at least year away despite what DJT thinks!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, kathy49 said:

nice wish but a vaccine will not help the cruise industry in the near future...with clinical trials vaccine at least year away despite what DJT thinks!

Ok .. without bringing any personal political feelings into this .. 

yes, a vaccine is off in the distance.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Given the crew are coming down with covid 19 and at high risk for it how is this a good situation?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. One person serving at the buffet with a mask and clean hands is better than many passengers.

The point was there is a possibility they're either lying or didn't notice the hand wash areas at the buffet earlier in the cruise and walked straight past them. It's normal procedure.

They've been on Sapphire princess for ages and that ship was the last to get a refit to medallion status.

So they're not 'subtle changes' as stated.

Edited by Pegasus2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

some do and many will still cruise ...many with serious health issues. This covid 19 situation has been going on before the latest Grand sailing...at that time only one ship but cautions were out there and still we have people now in bad situation with very serious medical conditions  on there. Knowing some under care for cancer with compromised immune systems they were told no way to go on a cruise...those warnings apparently need to get more severe

If you are older and have health issues  (also my catagory) and you still get on a plane or a cruise ship. You have bigger issues! You could not give me a free cruise now! lol

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, glam mistress said:

A look at life on the Grand right now

The story link is about the person who sent the tweet, btw - 

That is sad! What do they do about a Diabetic or similar disease they can't do that!

😞

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/coronavirus-dayton-couple-reportedly-cruise-ship-with-confirmed-cases/RozrqLscyie6ocSK85v8zI/

Edited by Reader0108598

14 minutes ago, glam mistress said:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/coronavirus-dayton-couple-reportedly-cruise-ship-with-confirmed-cases/RozrqLscyie6ocSK85v8zI/

Rationing food?  I have a hard time believing that. Trying to get room service to a couple thousand people quarantined in their rooms with a decreased staff-that I would believe. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, kathy49 said:

the Chicken Ladies recently reported from the ship . Not sure who "Wayne" is. They honestly don't have a clue what is happening...they did mention many of the passengers are out on balconies visiting etc. The internet is bad and it goes in and out.

20 minutes ago, glam mistress said:

I think this guy is just sensationalizing!

I've been following these ladies who report a MUCH different situation.

I also saw a picture of the menu that's being delivered to each cabin with many meal choices for breakfast , lunch and dinner but couldn't find it again to post here.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, glam mistress said:

this is just crazy...Japan got food to the passengers and with a ship this close to ports and the ability to get the test kits to this ship they can't bring in meals or let them re-supply?

1 minute ago, chamima said:

I also saw a picture of the menu that's being delivered to each cabin with many meal choices for breakfast , lunch and dinner but couldn't find it again to post here.

the ladies did get lunch yesterday and that is their last report so we don't know if they got dinner. They said they would try to come on about 1pm their time each day they are stuck there.

• Like 2

Genetic research shows that the virus on the Diamond Princess (taken from California patients) is closely related to the version in Washington, and the "patient 0" case in Washington from a few weeks back.   Cause and effect is not known here (all could have been infected by somebody else in some other location originally) but it does show how widespread this virus gets from a single person in just a few weeks.   "Patient 0" had visited Wuhan and self quarentined on arrival, so that is how much reassurance you should get from that particular remediation method.

This is from Laurie Garrett, a science reporter who is a good person to follow on twitter.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, chamima said:

I hope your right !

31 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

If you are older and have health issues  (also my catagory) and you still get on a plane or a cruise ship. You have bigger issues! You could not give me a free cruise now! lol

If you go to other Boards it is amazing how many do not listen. Even after what Dr. Fauci warned this morning. It is unbelievable to me that people will risk their lives along with bringing it possibly back to their own community. I am just astounded.

• Like 11

I wonder how common moving crew from ship to ship is in the industry? It would seem to me that this was a bad time to continue the practice if it is common. Some forethought would have saved Princess from having to cancel an entire cruise. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1