Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

....I believe that any crew showing severe distress will be lifted off.....

.....Yes, generally the crew don't have visas to be in the US for longer than it takes to get from the ship to the airport (crew visa), and they must be accompanied by a bonded agent at all times, so onshore quarantine for those with mild symptoms or no symptoms is not possible......  

Has there been any statement from anyone (Princess or any govt agency) that they are "lifting off" 19 sick crew members?  (make sense)

Will remaining crew be tested?  How the logistics of future "lifting" of crew will work?

VISA can be issued within hours (after all just a bureaucratic process). Arent they doing that for 19 crew members assuming they will be indeed taken off the ship?

Edited by hal2008

9 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Has there been any statement from anyone (Princess or any govt agency) that they are "lifting off" 19 sick crew members?  (make sense)

Will remaining crew be tested?  How the logistics of future "lifting" of crew will work?

VISA can be issued within hours (after all just a bureaucratic process). Arent they doing that for 19 crew members assuming they will be indeed taken off the ship?

No definitive statement that I'm aware of, but it is likely.  Future lifting of crew would be done by USCG helicopter if ship is at sea, or by ambulance to quarantine area if docked.

What visa are you going to give to the crew?  Most don't have the required paperwork to get a tourist visa, and certainly not a work visa.  Those taken off the ship will require a bonded agent outside the quarantine area 24/7, just as sick or injured crew do when taken off the ship in the US.  Depending on the quarantine arrangements, this may require many agents, so the number will be limited to those who truly need hospitalization as well as isolation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Compensation to Grand passengers is similar to what the Diamond passengers received:

Princess Cruises will refund the full cruise fare for every Grand Princess guest, in addition to air travel, hotel, ground transportation, pre-paid shore excursions, gratuities and other items, save for jewelry and fine art. Guests will also not be charged for incidental charges accrued during their extra time aboard.

"Princess Cruises will also provide guests with a future cruise credit equal to the cruise fare paid for the voyage," according to a statement provided by Kamali on Monday. "Princess Cruises also confirmed that although all gratuities will be refunded back to guests the company will ensure crew members will receive their designated gratuities for the work performed." 

The cruise line delivered letters to their stateroom with refund-processing details.

above from https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/09/coronavirus-grand-princess-cruise-ship-disembarkation-process-passengers/4998726002/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Watching CNN 🙂

9 minutes ago, marykay8 said:

she's about to go under the Bay Bridge....showing live on the right side of the screen on CNN....says "soon on CNN" so hopefully they switch over after the current segment.

Watching on local stations.  
such a picture perfect day under sad circumstances... 

4575FFC0-505B-4F98-9E1E-0E7305ABC982.jpeg

0A66AF32-63FD-4AA2-86F3-98247B1C2507.jpeg

• Like 2

The interviewed passengers on ABC7 KGO have all mentioned how strong and optimistic they are, and how pleased they are with the service they have had. It is so great to see their spirits in light of the current circumstances and I really wish them the absolute best in the weeks to come.

As wrongly timed this comment may be, and I do apologize if this comes off as crass, sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge and through the San Francisco Bay is truly an enchanting experience and I hope some of the passengers were able to somehow enjoy a little bit of it under such great weather to cap off this entire ordeal. Hoping many others in the future can continue to and healthily enjoy this privilege of sailing through the beauty of the bay.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, caribill said:

Compensation to Grand passengers is similar to what the Diamond passengers received:

Princess Cruises will refund the full cruise fare for every Grand Princess guest, in addition to air travel, hotel, ground transportation, pre-paid shore excursions, gratuities and other items, save for jewelry and fine art. Guests will also not be charged for incidental charges accrued during their extra time aboard.

"Princess Cruises will also provide guests with a future cruise credit equal to the cruise fare paid for the voyage," according to a statement provided by Kamali on Monday. "Princess Cruises also confirmed that although all gratuities will be refunded back to guests the company will ensure crew members will receive their designated gratuities for the work performed." 

The cruise line delivered letters to their stateroom with refund-processing details.

above from https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/09/coronavirus-grand-princess-cruise-ship-disembarkation-process-passengers/4998726002/

Dang was alcohol free?   

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

The interviewed passengers on ABC7 KGO have all mentioned how strong and optimistic they are, and how pleased they are with the service they have had. It is so great to see their spirits in light of the current circumstances and I really wish them the absolute best in the weeks to come.

As wrongly timed this comment may be, and I do apologize if this comes off as crass, sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge and through the San Francisco Bay is truly an enchanting experience and I hope some of the passengers were able to somehow enjoy a little bit of it under such great weather to cap off this entire ordeal. Hoping many others in the future can continue to and healthily enjoy this privilege of sailing through the beauty of the bay.

As you can see, it is an absolutely gorgeous day here in the Bay Area.  I hope that seeing our beautiful Golden Gate (and land!) lifted the spirits of the passengers.  I have sailed many times under the Golden Gate and Bay Bridge (on a much smaller boat!), and it is something one never takes for granted.

Edited by ams cruiser
spelling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

Am I correct if they are the first cruise passengers in quite a long time to sail under the Bay Bridge?

Cruise ships don't ever go under the Bay Bridge because the only place on the other side is the Port of Oakland. And it is a cargo/container port without passenger facilities. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Cruise ships don't ever go under the Bay Bridge because the only place on the other side is the Port of Oakland. And it is a cargo/container port without passenger facilities. 

Although, if I’m not mistaken, one of the cruise ship dry dock locations for maintenance and upgrading is located beyond the bay bridge. Cruise ships getting refitted dock there, though of course there are no passengers aboard.

• Thanks 1