Other cruise lines changing cancellation policies

tgg

One of the FAQs posted on a different RCCI website says that you can’t transfer perks but you may be eligible for perks on the new booking— not sure how helpful that is or if it even applies to Azamara. 

I assume that people who booked through a travel agent should call their agent to cancel under this policy but the way it’s all written to say travelers must contact Azamara makes me wonder a bit about that. 

Get in touch with any questions or to take advantage of our new policy:

1-833-292-2292 (US/Canada)
0333 242 5970 (UK/Ireland)
1-800-754-500 (Australia/New Zealand)

Well the person I eventually got through to after about 20 minutes was not able to answer my questions and said to take advantage of this new policy, one must go through their travel agent. Not what it says above!

A bit of a pity 5 months was rolled out all together. Might have been a bit easier on Azamara staff had it been rolled out like the Travel Advisory updates for the "next 30 days" or even a couple of months.

6 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Doh15

Thanks. I have since found the link as I scroll through the many posts of the past 12 hours or so.

It’s on the Azamara website now. 
Glad  to see some common sense has prevailed at last. 
We will be cancelling our cruise In April and hopefully rebooking early January. 

Edited by DRJVH

The current outbreak on Grand Princess must be a total nightmare for those onboard and their families back home. Not just the worry about Covid-19, but other health issues and requirements for medication. One poor woman who needs to continue her stage 4 cancer treatment.

I can't imagine what it must be like.  I suspect this will have some wider ranging issues. If you were a port in other parts of the world knowing the potential problems a cruise ship could bring would you be happy to let them dock?  Not good. 

Phil 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

If you were a port in other parts of the world knowing the potential problems a cruise ship could bring would you be happy to let them dock?  Not good. 

Phil 

Malta have already refused entry to a MSC ship because their doctors threatened to strike if the authorities let it dock!

Friend on Constellation in Mumbai, was up at 5 to go through health check, all fine but now they’ve been given a copy of a port notice banning ALL cruise ships until 31 March. If I was the cruiseline I’d lay up most of my ships rather than sail around to nowhere (she’s already lost Singapore, KL and Sri Lanka on this trip). 

467F2E9D-B2B2-4DC9-89AF-79010FCD6F89.jpeg

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

And now so does RCCL including Celebrity & Azamara - you can cancel up to 48 hours before a cruise & get a full future cruise credit.

Unfortunately you are tide to the same shambles of a company that took so long to make a decision.

13 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Neighbours who are on MSC Lirica have been turned away from New Mangalore today, they’ve not been told about their other Indian ports yet. 

I am sure I read today that all ports in India are closed to cruise ships until 31st March.

10 minutes ago, Lindy028 said:

I am sure I read today that all ports in India are closed to cruise ships until 31st March.

Yes, it was in this thread, uktog posted it, not looking good for any cruises at the moment.

Just heard from a friend who said her credit was short about $368.00+ More or less so she has asked her travel agent to get clarification. I remember reading somewhere that passengers were still responsible for port fees and taxes so maybe this odd amount has something to do with that or with travel agent cancellation fees. Has anyone who cancelled had this same experience?

She did cancel in the 50% window and got half her deposit back in cash, contrary to what she was first told by an Azamara agent, who said it would all be on a FCC.

Would be nice if all this would be fully and clearly explained up front or in a QAndA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 8:38 AM, ptrpanpens said:

Just heard from a friend who said her credit was short about $368.00+ More or less so she has asked her travel agent to get clarification. I remember reading somewhere that passengers were still responsible for port fees and taxes so maybe this odd amount has something to do with that or with travel agent cancellation fees. Has anyone who cancelled had this same experience?

She did cancel in the 50% window and got half her deposit back in cash, contrary to what she was first told by an Azamara agent, who said it would all be on a FCC.

Would be nice if all this would be fully and clearly explained up front or in a QAndA.

I canceled before 120 days and a full refund of my final payment, but no refund of my deposit, posted to my credit card around 9 days later (in the US so my deposit was $1100 and my cancellation fee should have been just $150). 

I called back and it took about an hour but Azamara is now refunding me the additional $950. The Azamara person was very helpful and pleasant— it did not take any arguing from me just time for her to look at my file and talk to various departments while I waited on hold. As part of that discussion she confirmed that passengers who cancel should get port fees and taxes back, but apparently that was a big chunk of my missing refund. 

Interestingly many airlines have now changed their cancellation policies. For our October cruise we booked flexible flights back from Dubai with British Airways. Ten days or so ago they were cancellable for a refund with a fairly small fee. Today I looked at their website and the cancellation & refund option has gone. If you cancel you get a credit for the costs of the flight - no more.

31 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Interestingly many airlines have now changed their cancellation policies. For our October cruise we booked flexible flights back from Dubai with British Airways. Ten days or so ago they were cancellable for a refund with a fairly small fee. Today I looked at their website and the cancellation & refund option has gone. If you cancel you get a credit for the costs of the flight - no more.

The terms are for new bookings, your flights are on the terms you booked them under.  It will be on your original booking confirmation

1 minute ago, uktog said:

The terms are for new bookings, your flights are on the terms you booked them under.  It will be on your original booking confirmation

That’s interesting. On the website when I logged in to the Executive Club & looked at my bookings the only option to cancel online was for a credit. I guess I’d have to ring them.

12 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

That’s interesting. On the website when I logged in to the Executive Club & looked at my bookings the only option to cancel online was for a credit. I guess I’d have to ring them.

BA have said it’s a system glitch online and asked folks not to call them. I’m sure by the time we need to cancel they will have fixed it! 

2 hours ago, uktog said:

BA have said it’s a system glitch online and asked folks not to call them. I’m sure by the time we need to cancel they will have fixed it! 

I wasn’t planning to call - as you say there’s plenty of time. . I was having a look online and was surprised to see the change.