what to do about Caribbean cruise next week?

I was fine with going until the news about this ship not being allowed to dock in CA.  I'm not afraid of getting sick, but I am afraid of being suck on the ship.  Spent $13k for cabins in Haven, so it is  A LOT of money for us to lose.  Teenagers really want to go, husband really wants to cancel.  I have no idea what to do.  

If your going to be stuck, being stuck on a cruise ship wouldn't be to bad.  In the Haven you will be closed off more I'm thinking.  Just make sure you wash your hands a lot more than normal.  Bring wipes for your room, which I always wipe down anyway.  

Edited by Bushmaster225
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, firstimerhaven said:

I was fine with going until the news about this ship not being allowed to dock in CA.  I'm not afraid of getting sick, but I am afraid of being suck on the ship.  Spent $13k for cabins in Haven, so it is  A LOT of money for us to lose.  Teenagers really want to go, husband really wants to cancel.  I have no idea what to do.  

Nice typo.  I think you mean "stuck".   😉

All kidding aside, go and have fun. 

• Haha 2

What are your ages and your kids ages?  Honestly, if you are not over 65, with existing medical conditions, there is very little chance of death.  The biggest issue would be missing work because of quarantine.  My bet would be take the work computer and never look at it, so you have that as a backup plan if needed.

I just cruised Feb 1 - 8 on the Escape in the haven.  We were fine, I came home and within days my son and I were both very sick.....with the normal flu.....from his darn school.  Go figure right?  I am still recovering, the regular flu this year has been really bad, and has killed way more people that anyone wants to know about (hint: It would cause a bigger panic then this new virus).  

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

What are your ages and your kids ages?  Honestly, if you are not over 65, with existing medical conditions, there is very little chance of death.  The biggest issue would be missing work because of quarantine.  My bet would be take the work computer and never look at it, so you have that as a backup plan if needed.

I just cruised Feb 1 - 8 on the Escape in the haven.  We were fine, I came home and within days my son and I were both very sick.....with the normal flu.....from his darn school.  Go figure right?  I am still recovering, the regular flu this year has been really bad, and has killed way more people that anyone wants to know about (hint: It would cause a bigger panic then this new virus).  

Did you read?!   Her issue is not that she's worried she'll get coronavirus.   You dont need to remind her to wash her hands!    Her issue is that she's afraid she's going to the STUCK on the ship.   As in, the cruise is over and she and her family can't get off the ship and back to school and work.    

I think that is a very real possibility.    But still I'd go.    

Edited by Vyhanek
  • Like 3

Just now, Vyhanek said:

Did you read?!   Her issue is not that she's worried she'll get coronavirus.   You do't need to remind her to wash her hands!    Her issue is that she's afraid she's going to the STUCK on the ship.   As in, the cruise is over and she and her family can't get off the ship and back to school and work.    

I think that is a very real possibility.    But still I'd go.    

Exactly the reason I said she should bring a laptop that would hopefully allow her to do some work.  I can only speak from my own experience, and I work 100% from a computer, so I could work full time if the cruise line gave us free internet because of quarantine.  Se never stated the kids age, so we don't know if they are adults or still in school, that is why I specifically asked age as well.  Anyway, sorry if my reply missed the mark for you, I was trying to touch on multiple concerns.

16 minutes ago, firstimerhaven said:

Enjoy your cruise but just be a little more careful. We just booked a cruise departing 03/14 to the Caribbean and can't wait to go. We also will be in The Haven and feel like we will have less exposure "up front". Less crowded. I wouldn't eat at the Buffett for sure though. We are preparing in case there is any delay in returning with 3 weeks of meds, both of us are taking our laptops and I have already packed a big container of Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer. Fingers crossed for no problems but if we do catch Covid-19, we should be OK as we aren't too old or in fragile health.        Bon Voyage! 😁

We are at the tail end of our cruise to the Caribbean. Stopped on Cozumel today. All seems quite normal, except for the fact that our ship isn’t full. 

I brought my laptop and I pick up an orange when I leave the thermal suite. If we get stuck on Saturday, at least we will have some fruit. 

We are in the Haven as well. Certainly don’t want to be stuck but the accommodations aren’t half bad 😉

I wouldnt cancel but it’s a little easier to say now that we are almost home. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

We are late 40s/early 50s and kids are teens.  Good idea about computers, for the kids too.  They do all their school work on google classroom

7 minutes ago, mjcatlvr said:

Enjoy your cruise but just be a little more careful. We just booked a cruise departing 03/14 to the Caribbean and can't wait to go. We also will be in The Haven and feel like we will have less exposure "up front". Less crowded. I wouldn't eat at the Buffett for sure though. We are preparing in case there is any delay in returning with 3 weeks of meds, both of us are taking our laptops and I have already packed a big container of Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer. Fingers crossed for no problems but if we do catch Covid-19, we should be OK as we aren't too old or in fragile health.        Bon Voyage! 😁

Maybe we are on the same boat -- Escape?  

5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We are at the tail end of our cruise to the Caribbean. Stopped on Cozumel today. All seems quite normal, except for the fact that our ship isn’t full. 

I brought my laptop and I pick up an orange when I leave the thermal suite. If we get stuck on Saturday, at least we will have some fruit. 

We are in the Haven as well. Certainly don’t want to be stuck but the accommodations aren’t half bad 😉

I wouldnt cancel but it’s a little easier to say now that we are almost home. 

which boat are you on?  BTW, NCL claims our boat is almost full but I don't believe it.  Or maybe it looks full to NCL because when people decide to go but can't get a refund they just don't tell NCL?

Just now, firstimerhaven said:

We are late 40s/early 50s and kids are teens.  Good idea about computers, for the kids too.  They do all their school work on google classroom

I did not realize some school could be done that way but it is so smart to have the option.  Again, I am the same age as you (49) and would not hesitate to cruise IN NOT AFFECTED AREAS (I would not do Italy or Asia right now).  I think at the end of the day the most important thing is you both have to agree as well (you said your husband is not wanting to go), so it might make the most sense to sit down and talk with him at length about his worst fears, etc.  Good luck!

If you are going to get stuck on a ship, the haven would certainly be the right room to be in. I would go. Yes, quarantines are happening but only a few have hit the news. A vast majority of cruises are still continuing without an issue (although missed ports seem to be more common place). No way I would lose out on that much money over the slimmest chance of the quarantine.

Edited by sanger727

We're currently on the Gem, due back to New York in the morning at the end of our 11-day cruise. Everything on the ship is normal, no one that I've encountered has reported being sick. Our cruise has been uneventful, no missed ports. The crew is doing a great job keeping everything clean and sanitary.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tooleman56 said:

We're currently on the Gem, due back to New York in the morning at the end of our 11-day cruise. Everything on the ship is normal, no one that I've encountered has reported being sick. Our cruise has been uneventful, no missed ports. The crew is doing a great job keeping everything clean and sanitary.

and I'm picking it up tomorrow AM, good to hear.

Caribbean... I would go in a heartbeat. Just practice good personal hygiene. Wash hands frequently....yada yada yada. Have a great cruise!!

Edit...some ports are randomly refusing to allow ships to call in their countries.... mainly Jamaica and Cayman. 

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

Most on here say go.   My risk is different as there is no way I would go.  The situation gets worse by the hour.  Yup it’s a lot of money but it is already spent and can be replaced.  Your health can’t be.  Good chance you won’t get sick but there still a chance that you will. Also it’s all the inconvenience that goes with it.  Our foreign travel is on hold as it is preventable.  Again everybody has a different risk tolerance but we just canceled and the worry is over. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FLcruisergrl said:

I guess I’m the only one praying to be quarantined on my cruise next week?! 🤪

Not praying, but since I'm retired and have a balcony on a Tahiti to Hawaii cruise, it's not a big deal.  Neither place has any known instances of the virus and Tahiti requires a health certificate before you can get on the plane, so everyone on the cruise appeared healthy before they left home anyway.  Bringing projects to keep me occupied on the sea days (scheduled or otherwise), double amounts of medication and I'm good.  Bills on autopay, mail on hold, plants on automatic waterers, pets will be provided for.  So it will be what it will be.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fartlek said:

Most on here say go.   My risk is different as there is no way I would go.  The situation gets worse by the hour.  Yup it’s a lot of money but it is already spent and can be replaced.  Your health can’t be.  Good chance you won’t get sick but there still a chance that you will. Also it’s all the inconvenience that goes with it.  Our foreign travel is on hold as it is preventable.  Again everybody has a different risk tolerance but we just canceled and the worry is over. 

Until there is a case right by your house.  I work in Raleigh, the Wake county case was announced while I was in my building.  I am not going to let the media determine where I go and what I do. Stay healthy.

8 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Until there is a case right by your house.  

I probably should have said in my original question, I live in Westchester where there is now a big cluster.  I work in Manhattan.  My kids go to school walking distance from one of the schools that was closed because of this cluster.  I take the subway every day.  But I am still torn about going because of the risk of quarantine.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, firstimerhaven said:

I probably should have said in my original question, I live in Westchester where there is now a big cluster.  I work in Manhattan.  My kids go to school walking distance from one of the schools that was closed because of this cluster.  I take the subway every day.  But I am still torn about going because of the risk of quarantine.  

Better chance you get it in the NYC/Metro area then on the cruise.  Sad but true, think of how much international business and travel happens there.  One of my accounts is there, big company, named after a guy that just stopped running for president.  I am avoiding going there right now, way more then any cruise.

There is another issue with going on a cruise at the present.  Some employers are requiring a 2-week quarantine after an employee returns.  Currently I think it has to do with anyone who has visited a location on the "hot spot" list so

probably doesn't apply directly to a caribbean cruise, but with things changing daily, it could apply at a later date.  Especially if you work in a school or medical facility.  So maybe more vacation than originally planned.