New Screening Measures Just Announced

GRBlizz

3 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I got one message yesterday (a different version) and then this one today.  I get the intent, but quite honestly due to incubation periods of almost every virus it most certainly doesn’t prohibit ppl from boarding with a virus.  I realize they have up make an effort to be cautious but it’s just that...an effort.  We are still planning on cruising.  We have to fly to our US port anyway so I guess worst case scenario we don’t board and end up at a resort and get quarantined there instead. 😉

I have two more cruises planned this year - all close to home, but not planned that way because of any virus concerns.  The only reasons I won't be on either one is if the cruises are cancelled or I am already ill.

Edited by mek

32 minutes ago, 4liberty said:

I wish they’d just implemented this without announcing anything. Anyone who’s sick with a fever and wants to cruise anyway can just take some Tylenol and pass the test. It’d be better if people like that weren’t warned in advance.

Sorry, I disagree. I think it's important for Celebrity to be completely transparent and above board with respect to procedures being undertaken.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 4liberty said:

I wish they’d just implemented this without announcing anything. Anyone who’s sick with a fever and wants to cruise anyway can just take some Tylenol and pass the test. It’d be better if people like that weren’t warned in advance.

This was my first reaction too but after some thought I don’t think Tylenol, etc. would mask a High fever entirely from flu or other serious illness. 

This morning saw that another major cruise line has modified their cancellation policy temporarily to allow 72 hour cancellation at 100% credit applicable to future or unpaid future cruises . It's time for Celebrity to do the same. It will ease the concerns of those of us at highest risk.

9 minutes ago, flrose said:

This morning saw that another major cruise line has modified their cancellation policy temporarily to allow 72 hour cancellation at 100% credit applicable to future or unpaid future cruises . It's time for Celebrity to do the same. It will ease the concerns of those of us at highest risk.

Which cruise line?

15 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Not if they manage it properly. These types of temperature checks just take a couple of seconds, so if they station the checkers by the walk-through security scanners, where there is usually a line up, it wouldn't delay things at all. Of course, it will take a bit longer for anyone running a fever and sent for further screening.

I agree the temperature check will be very quick it is the rest which is not clear.

Potentially there could be hundreds of people with high temperature readings, 

Managing them will be a long process.

Also what will happen if they do the secondary screening and you are denied boarding?

Do they have enough  quarantine places ?

Also we have been told it takes 4 days to confirm itis Coronavirus 

Edited by Lindypops

16 hours ago, Argo. said:

We'll let you know the effect on timing tomorrow as we board Silhouette.

We're on a B2B2B and hope that we don't catch anything onboard.

It will be interesting to hear what happened at Embarkation .

Hope you have happy and healthy cruises😊

Received the same email last night. They will deny boarding to the suspect passenger and traveling companions. What about those who have been standing in line with him/her for an hour? I understand that they're doing their best but we have to do our part as well. Let's all follow the recommendations of the health professionals.

4 hours ago, Lindypops said:

I agree the temperature check will be very quick it is the rest which is not clear.

Potentially there could be hundreds of people with high temperature readings, 

Managing them will be a long process.

Also what will happen if they do the secondary screening and you are denied boarding?

Do they have enough  quarantine places ?

Also we have been told it takes 4 days to confirm itis Coronavirus 

Why would there be hundreds of people with high temperatures? I suspect that there may be the odd one, but certainly not hundreds running a fever.

Your question about what happens should one be denied boarding following the health screening is an interesting one. I would hope that cruise line and/or port officials have made, or will soon make, arrangements with local government officials to have individuals suspected of having COVID-19 quarantined at a local facility. This is the type of question that should be discussed when Pence and his team meet with the cruise lines.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cbfb said:

This was my first reaction too but after some thought I don’t think Tylenol, etc. would mask a High fever entirely from flu or other serious illness. 

It might for someone like me. My normal body temperature runs low. Usually it's about 97.5 or around there in the morning, and fluctuates more in the afternoons. (Might have something to do with my lousy thyroid, who knows). Anyway... when I'm running a fever of 99.5 or more, that's 2 degrees above my normal, so by that point I feel pretty awful. Yet a dose of Tylenol can put me back into the "normal" range for most people. Even if for me, it's still a fever.

13 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

It might for someone like me. My normal body temperature runs low. Usually it's about 97.5 or around there in the morning, and fluctuates more in the afternoons. (Might have something to do with my lousy thyroid, who knows). Anyway... when I'm running a fever of 99.5 or more, that's 2 degrees above my normal, so by that point I feel pretty awful. Yet a dose of Tylenol can put me back into the "normal" range for most people. Even if for me, it's still a fever.

Exactly what I mean. You don’t have a fever due to the flu or corona virus. Those kinds of illnesses are too severe to bring the fever down that low. 

I wonder if Celebrity will still allow cruisers to serve themselves at the buffet.  It was disgusting on our cruise a couple of weeks ago.  People wiping their noses in their hands and then touching the serving utensils.  I could get more graphic but won't.  I washed my hands before entering the buffet --but with that going on.....  

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 2:50 PM, dazey said:

I so want to go on our Bermuda cruise(May) but paid so no refund if I cancel.  But if I have a tempwhen boarding  they will refund my money.  Kind of odd that if you want to cancel because of virus scare you have no choice but to lose your money but go anyway with a fever and you get your money back.  I think it would be good relations to let their client cancel with a credit for a future cruise.

We are in our 70" and one has a lung issue but paid in full so I guess we loose.

and today Celebrity handed you a get out of jail free card.   You can now cancel without penalty up to 48 hours before departure and get full credit on a future cruise.

49 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

I would hope so. 🙂

I was hoping they would do it before luggage dropoff! Otherwise, might take a while for someone denied boarding to recover the bags. (I am always worried about my bags. 😳)

Meanwhile, our readings this morning seemed off. Mine was 96-something° and DH was 94°. 🤔

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

I was hoping they would do it before luggage dropoff! Otherwise, might take a while for someone denied boarding to recover the bags. (I am always worried about my bags. 😳)

Good point. After being denied boarding, the last thing that you'd want would be to wait for your bags to be found. Unfortunately, drop off sites at most ports is pretty scattered with no defined point of entry or exit, so I suspect that it will be inside or at the entry to the terminal.