New Screening Measures Just Announced

GRBlizz

Received this letter because we are (hopefully) cruising in April:

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation.  Before you embark on this exciting journey, we would like to advise you of some additional health screening procedures that will occur at the pier during your check-in and boarding process.

As we monitor global developments related to the coronavirus, our priority remains the health and safety of our guests and crew, as well as providing you an amazing vacation experience.  To comply with guidance from CDC, WHO, public health authorities around the world, and the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), we are enhancing our rigorous global boarding and screening measures to protect our guests and crew.   

Effective Friday, March 6, mandatory temperature screenings will be conducted for all guests, crewmembers, and visitors prior to boarding any vessel.  Your temperature will be taken via a noninvasive digital scan.  If your temperature registers above 100.4°F (38° C), you and your traveling companions will be referred to a secondary health screening.  

Secondary health screenings will be performed by medical professionals who will check for flu-like symptoms and pulse oximetry readings.  Any guests who are denied boarding due to concerns during their health screening will receive 100% refund. 

If you don’t feel well while onboard, it’s imperative that you visit our onboard medical facility immediately for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always available and ready to assist.

Guests with chronic lung illness are advised to contact us in advance with any questions or bring a letter from a medical practitioner that indicates normal baseline oxygen saturation.  If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or contact us at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. You can also visit www.celebritycruises.com/contact-us for a complete list of global contact information.

We have elected to take these precautionary steps due to the recent increase in coronavirus cases around the world, to help avoid the spread of the virus and to ensure the continued safety of our guests and crew. While vacations are our passion, our primary responsibility is to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard for a truly incredible vacation.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Have to say that the last sentence did make me laugh ------ all doom and gloom before and a sentence to say that they are welcoming you onboard for a truly incredible vacation. You have to 'smile' at the irony of it all. Does anyone read these messages before they send them ????

I got one message yesterday (a different version) and then this one today.  I get the intent, but quite honestly due to incubation periods of almost every virus it most certainly doesn’t prohibit ppl from boarding with a virus.  I realize they have up make an effort to be cautious but it’s just that...an effort.  We are still planning on cruising.  We have to fly to our US port anyway so I guess worst case scenario we don’t board and end up at a resort and get quarantined there instead. 😉

• Like 1

Well that will slow down embarkation a wee bit, won’t it?

I will be happy to submit myself to said screening on my scheduled embarkation date. Unless of course X cancels my cruise.

Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 minute ago, Peter Cabot said:

I will be happy to submit myself to said screening on my scheduled embarkation date. Unless of course X cancels my cruise.

Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good point on the longer embarkation time.  I assume they will need to increase staff or rework their embarkation process.

We were screened a couple of weeks ago in Abu Dhabi. It just involved walking past a heat screening camera. Didn’t have to slow down or stop so didn’t take any longer. I guess if your temperature registers high then you would be taken out and then would be delayed. 

• Thanks 1

Who knows, waiting for airlines to start something like this.  The whole travel industry is going to be thrown for a loop.  Peoples patience will be tried.  I have no problems with screenings like this but concerns would include if person is denied what about all the people they became in contact with who are getting on.  Who knows.  Hoping everyone who is going on vacations over the next few weeks/months have a great time and no problems.  We are dealing with it here in NH, I work at the hospital where the person made the news today, Person was told to do self quarantine because was running a fever and came back from Italy, but nope he knows better and decides to go out to a party at a local club.  Guess what he had Coronavirus.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Who knows, waiting for airlines to start something like this.  The whole travel industry is going to be thrown for a loop.  Peoples patience will be tried.  I have no problems with screenings like this but concerns would include if person is denied what about all the people they became in contact with who are getting on.  Who knows.  Hoping everyone who is going on vacations over the next few weeks/months have a great time and no problems.  We are dealing with it here in NH, I work at the hospital where the person made the news today, Person was told to do self quarantine because was running a fever and came back from Italy, but nope he knows better and decides to go out to a party at a local club.  Guess what he had Coronavirus.   

Now, after the fact, he is very sorry to have exposed others to it...

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Now, after the fact, he is very sorry to have exposed others to it...

In health and bon voyage

38 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Death penalty on sight. What a dumb a$$. 

1 hour ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Good point on the longer embarkation time.  I assume they will need to increase staff or rework their embarkation process.

More fun in Bayonne,,,

Wonder if each US port will  also take temps as you get off the ship to visit?

There is an incubation period of coronavirus.  So if someone at the airport buys a cup of coffee from an infected person, and passes the pre boarding inspection, and develops symptoms post departure, everyone on board is then possibly infected.  This idea of 'go have a great vacation' and put your head in the head makes no sense.  RCCL needs to do the right thing as has Viking and NCL and others, and offer credits to those of us who are high risk and don't wish to take a chance .  We are doing the company and all passengers a huge favor by reducing the chance you'll be a victim of this mysterious but sometimes deadly, virus. Of the 10 who died in Wa., 7 were elderly.

I so want to go on our Bermuda cruise(May) but paid so no refund if I cancel.  But if I have a tempwhen boarding  they will refund my money.  Kind of odd that if you want to cancel because of virus scare you have no choice but to lose your money but go anyway with a fever and you get your money back.  I think it would be good relations to let their client cancel with a credit for a future cruise.

We are in our 70" and one has a lung issue but paid in full so I guess we loose.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dazey said:

I so want to go on our Bermuda cruise(May) but paid so no refund if I cancel.  But if I have a tempwhen boarding  they will refund my money.  Kind of odd that if you want to cancel because of virus scare you have no choice but to lose your money but go anyway with a fever and you get your money back.  I think it would be good relations to let their client cancel with a credit for a future cruise.

We are in our 70" and one has a lung issue but paid in full so I guess we loose.

Did you purchase trip insurance?  Your situation may qualify, especially if your doctor doesn't recommend that you take that risk.

I only purchased the insurance a week or so ago for the Bermuda cruise in Mayand wonder why I even bothered. I would have hoped our TA was more helpful but when the news came out about the cruise with canola virus I called him and he had no idea. 

Not sure where I stand on the May cruise.  I hope we all get to have good health no matter what.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Cabot said:

Not if they manage it properly. These types of temperature checks just take a couple of seconds, so if they station the checkers by the walk-through security scanners, where there is usually a line up, it wouldn't delay things at all. Of course, it will take a bit longer for anyone running a fever and sent for further screening.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Wonder if each US port will  also take temps as you get off the ship to visit?

I highly doubt it. Let's be honest, once you disembark, the cruise line has no interest in your state of health, and even if they did, there's nothing that they can do about it. Besides, most people know if they are running a fever.

I wish they’d just implemented this without announcing anything. Anyone who’s sick with a fever and wants to cruise anyway can just take some Tylenol and pass the test. It’d be better if people like that weren’t warned in advance.

• Like 1