Will HAL now match Princess' new virus cancellation policy?

DaveOKC

29 minutes ago, Pia1913 said:

Just off the phone with HAL; wanted more clarification.   In my case, no insurance and payment of $11,673.  This total amount, if I choose to cancel, will be refunded as FCC.  I must do a new booking prior to end of this year.  I have lots of bookings, but this amount must be used toward a new booking only.  That being said, I have not made a decision yet; still have a few days.  I am due to board the Koningsdam for 44 days on March 15th.

Did something similar to me.  Never got it cancelled, because the TA's cancellation department closed for the night.  So, I have to go through the whole annoying thing again tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

Did something similar to me.  Never got it cancelled, because the TA's cancellation department closed for the night.  So, I have to go through the whole annoying thing again tomorrow.

Hope you all plan on waking early, weekends can be brutal on getting through to HAL on a good day.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Sounds like you might be on our cruise 😉

I can answer one question for you.  If you prepaid anything - internet, dinners, tours, shipboard credit, whatever, it will all be refunded to your credit card where you charged it.  No problem at all.  It’s standard operating procedure.

Good information to know...what about flights through flight ease and the cost of the HAL Platinum PP? Thank you!!

2 hours ago, Former Non-cruiser said:

My wife and I both have health issues that make exposure to the virus more troublesome so I reluctantly cancelled a cruise I really wanted to take to the Sea of Cortez. I had the Platinum Protection Plan and was more than 22 days prior to the start of the cruise. Most of my fare plus taxes and fees will be refunded to my credit card. Ten percent of the remaining, plus the cost of the Platinum Protection Plan, will be reimbursed by the FCC. I was pleased that  they even agreed to refund the cost of the plan. My big box cruise agent took care of everything for me in less than a half hour.

Glad HAL did the right thing for you all. What is the significance of 22 days prior to the cruise? I have HAL PP and was just curious. I think it works out slightly better to invoke the HAL PP vs getting the cancellation fee in fcc by just a few hundred. My hubby is an accountant so any info that I can pass on to him to help our savings would be great! Thank you!

Edited by newtocruiseinblue
Misspelling

8 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Glad HAL did the right thing for you all. What is the significance of 22 days prior to the cruise? I have HAL PP and was just curious. I think it works out slightly better to invoke the HAL PP vs getting the cancellation fee in fcc by just a few hundred. My hubby is an accountant so any info that I can pass on to him to help our savings would be great! Thank you!

If you are  22 days or more before the start of the cruise the normal penalty is 75% of the non-refundable fare. After that it is 100%. The PP just  covered 90% of that 75% penalty, but the other 25% of the fare was refundable in cash returned. Their special program they announced today covered the balance of the non-refundable penalty (10%) with FCCs. I know its confusing because you are talking about percentages of percentages, but it won't be to an accountant. The simple part is I was made whole, including the return of what I paid for the PP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow...2 hours and 20 minutes later with big box TA and I'm still on hold. I have a feeling I'll be calling back early tomorrow morning...as will everyone else.

I just want my final payment credited back to my card, since it's now not due until mid April and hasn't been paid yet.

Chapter 11 considerations?

Just a thought as we consider cancelling a March cruise originating in US.    We are past the 100% cancellation deadline and have private non CFAR insurance so under the new March 6 policy HAL would hold onto the full cash amount for cruise and flight-ease as a FCC.     If CCL were to file Chapter 11 then in theory there is no guarantee that this FCC would be honored as we would be a creditor like any other.

Our assessment is that seems medium risk of a Chapter 11 filing with continued operations based on current trend and size of their fleet, but very low risk of them implementing such a policy in those circumstances as most customers are repeat and even their largest creditors would not want to see minor creditors like us angry.

At this point, we're inclined to go regardless as we upgraded our cabin as a contingency against quarantine, and believe it is equally likely that we will be COVID-+ve before the end of the year if we don't travel.

My PCC called me late yesterday (about 8 PM EST) with this information on the cruise I want to cancel:

Since I am in the 50% penalty phase, I will receive a charge card credit of 50% of the BASE FARE, plus the taxes and port fees,  The remaining 50% of the base fare (the normal penalty amount) will be credited to my account as future cruise credit, to be used on another HAL cruise prior to Dec. 31, 2021.  She still needs to find out if this FCC amount can be applied to an existing reservation I have for Aug, 2021.  Also, she is looking into how the future cruise deposit will be handled (I am hoping that it will be reissued as the OBC involved is obviously the old higher amount than what HAL is now offering).

I am very happy with this outcome, as literally Thursday evening I had decided to cancel and lose the 50%.  Since I had until March 20 to decide I was going to wait a week or so to finalize this decision.  Then Friday morning this new program comes out!  The timing is unreal for me and quite a lucky break.

I obviously feel that HAL is doing right by its clients,  I just wish that they had not waited until late in the day Friday to make the announcement.  After all, their sister lines Princess and Carnival had announced by 8 AM.  This led to their agents having little or no information and thus making statements that really concerned the customers and later were overturned.  Now we wait to see what, if anything, comes out after the cruise lines meet with the VP this weekend.

15 hours ago, Kfrech said:

We are sailing Koningsdam to Alaska on June 13th. Our final payment was due on March 1st (big box TA). We have until March 13th to purchase HAL's CFAR insurance (which we intended to do). Here are my questions:

If HAL extends their cancellation policy for sailings beyond May 31st, will they refund the CFAR insurance? I'm ok with a FCC (instead of only receiving 90% back through the Platinum policy.)

Am I correct in assuming that once we cancel our trip, anything we pre-purchased (beverage package, additional OBC), is directly credited back to our CC?

We're on the June 13th cruise too, just on Eurodam.  Hoping it gets extended as well.  We booked two tours that weren't available through HAL with a certain travel site and both have "no refund" policies so I just emailed asking if they would reconsider given the current situation and if we did end up pushing our cruise date further back if they would allow us to book new dates for the tours.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by DivotMaker

I've been on the phone with big box TA for 2 hrs. and 20 minutes now. When I initially called this morning when they first opened, I was told the wait time was "less than 2 minutes." Clearly not. It must be an awful time to be a TA.

I don't want to cancel yet; I just don't want to have to pay the final balance, since PIF dates for June sailings and beyond have been changed to 60 days. My PIF date was March 1st to TA, but not until March 13th to HAL. I'd like that amount credited back to my CC (I haven't paid the bill yet so may call the CC company and see how far I get with them). I also have until March 13th to purchase CFAR insurance which I may do directly through HAL. I just hate having all this money tied up.

Have round trip travel book separately to Vancouver for 10 days, so we might be stuck with that unless airlines change their policies for trips purchased prior to the small window of time they are offering now. We can make a vacation out of that, so that's the least of my concerns.

53 minutes ago, Kfrech said:

I've been on the phone with big box TA for 2 hrs. and 20 minutes now. When I initially called this morning when they first opened, I was told the wait time was "less than 2 minutes." Clearly not. It must be an awful time to be a TA.

I don't want to cancel yet; I just don't want to have to pay the final balance, since PIF dates for June sailings and beyond have been changed to 60 days. My PIF date was March 1st to TA, but not until March 13th to HAL. I'd like that amount credited back to my CC (I haven't paid the bill yet so may call the CC company and see how far I get with them). I also have until March 13th to purchase CFAR insurance which I may do directly through HAL. I just hate having all this money tied up.

Have round trip travel book separately to Vancouver for 10 days, so we might be stuck with that unless airlines change their policies for trips purchased prior to the small window of time they are offering now. We can make a vacation out of that, so that's the least of my concerns.

We called the Big Box TA first thing this morning and were told "less than 2 minutes wait" also, which turned into 3 hours on hold.  At that point they told us we're experiencing technical difficulties and to call back later.  DH immediately called back and was told more than one hour wait. He's on hold again. They don't offer you the option to have them call you back when agents are available.  YESTERDAY we called the Big Box TA, and decided to press 1 for them to call us back.  After 3 hours we got the technical difficulty announcement.  So we called back and after another 3 hours they called us again and hung up on us.  So that's 6 hours yesterday and 3 1/2 hours so far today.  Cancellation penalties begin tomorrow on our June 6 sailing.  This is really unfair.  We want to refare under the Pack These Values promotion.  

I think I know which "Big Box" you're dealing with.  We call this morning and were told estimate hold time was 5 to 10 minutes, after 3 hours they had the same "technical difficulties" and they hung up on us.   

16 minutes ago, CRUZBUDS said:

I think I know which "Big Box" you're dealing with.  We call this morning and were told estimate hold time was 5 to 10 minutes, after 3 hours they had the same "technical difficulties" and they hung up on us.   

Thats terrible!  On thing I like about dealing with HAL through a PCC is that it is easier to get ahold of them of I can email them and have them call me when they are free.  

I did call HAL directly yesterday as well twice - one time was a long wait so they told me to call back later.  I did that about an hour later and got right through to a rep who was VERY nice and helpful.

7 hours ago, kazu said:

Well, Canada has now issued a warning but sadly it’s not a travel advisory...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/coronavirus-cruise-grand-princess-1.5489320

It will be interesting to see what happens at the meeting with the cruise line CEO’s today.

That is annoying!  What does your DH think about all this?  In some ways I feel this is just another variety of the seasonal flu, and any other time, they would just say "next year we will be able to include it in the flu shot".  I realize it seems to be very  easily transmitted, and that is a lot of the problem.  

I imagine it means we will cancel, but at least we have about 3 weeks to think about it.  I really want to cruise!  Wish I were 20 years younger...

5 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Since I am in the 50% penalty phase, I will receive a charge card credit of 50% of the BASE FARE, plus the taxes and port fees,  The remaining 50% of the base fare (the normal penalty amount) will be credited to my account as future cruise credit, to be used on another HAL cruise prior to Dec. 31, 2021.  She still needs to find out if this FCC amount can be applied to an existing reservation I have for Aug, 2021.  Also, she is looking into how the future cruise deposit will be handled (I am hoping that it will be reissued as the OBC involved is obviously the old higher amount than what HAL is now offering).

I'm going to try calling again tomorrow.  I have a couple of more days until we're out of the 50% Penalty Phase.  Did you have flights booked with Flight Ease?  If so, do you know if they included?

I'm going to ask the same questions regarding FCD and hoping it can be reissued.  

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

That is annoying!  What does your DH think about all this?  In some ways I feel this is just another variety of the seasonal flu, and any other time, they would just say "next year we will be able to include it in the flu shot".  I realize it seems to be very  easily transmitted, and that is a lot of the problem.  

I imagine it means we will cancel, but at least we have about 3 weeks to think about it.  I really want to cruise!  Wish I were 20 years younger...

DH is not so concerned about getting the virus - we are healthy, have no real pre-existing conditions but the reaction at the ports is what he is concerned about and if one were quarantined on a cruise ship, it can be a Petri dish if the crew are taking care of you and you are infected.

If the ship is going to be turned away and/or you are going to be forced to quarantine for 14 days.  There is just a ridiculous amount of panic right now.  That is what DH’s concern.

What I find frustrating is if Health officials are so adamant, then make it a travel warning so at least people can recoup air fares, etc with their cancellation insurance.

I’m waiting to see what comes out of the meeting in Florida with the cruise line CEO’s and Pence.

In the meantime, friends have been calling who were going to go away and whose homes I offered to care for.  They have cancelled their travel plans - not out of fear of the virus - out of fear of the panic and what happens.

5 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

She still needs to find out if this FCC amount can be applied to an existing reservation I have for Aug, 2021.  Also, she is looking into how the future cruise deposit will be handled (I am hoping that it will be reissued as the OBC involved is obviously the old higher amount than what HAL is now offering)

Dave OKC since you have been able to speak to your PCC, do you have an answer if the FCC offered for cancelled bookings can be applied to already booked cruises? ( we have 3 booked—one August 2020, Jan 2021 and May 2021). We are currently deciding  if we want to go on our 3/17 sailing to Hawaii, or cancel. I hate to tie up the phone lines for those that have bookings in the next couple days as we don’t have to decide until the end of next week if we will go. I would hope that the answer is we can apply this FCC to existing bookings. If not, we may be forced to cancel one of these bookings and re-book just to use the FCC. Thanks for any input you can give!

30 minutes ago, Cailey53 said:

Dave OKC since you have been able to speak to your PCC, do you have an answer if the FCC offered for cancelled bookings can be applied to already booked cruises? ( we have 3 booked—one August 2020, Jan 2021 and May 2021). We are currently deciding  if we want to go on our 3/17 sailing to Hawaii, or cancel. I hate to tie up the phone lines for those that have bookings in the next couple days as we don’t have to decide until the end of next week if we will go. I would hope that the answer is we can apply this FCC to existing bookings. If not, we may be forced to cancel one of these bookings and re-book just to use the FCC. Thanks for any input you can give!

I have the same issue - I want to apply my FCC to an Aug 2021 cruise.  My PCC is checking into this for me, as she thought I could but was not certain.  Will know early next week and will post.

FYI if you missed this press release late yesterday:

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Holland-America-Lines-New-Cancellation-Policy-Incentive-for-Cruising

We canceled this morning, went very smooth. If you read it closely this even applies to sailings that leave in less than 72 hours.