What happens if you are denied boarding after secondary screening

Lindypops

What will happen if you are denied boarding after secondary screening?

will you just be told to go away ?

or will you be put into quarantine ?

we are flying in from the UK and obviously cant just go home easily.

just want to know what could happen so we can prepare.

thanks

You will be given a full refund if denied boarding.  I am unsure if they extend this to other guests in the same room as you or not.  No you are not quarantined since they are testing for symptoms, not issuing you a Covid test.  You would be sent on your merry way 

58 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

You will be given a full refund if denied boarding.  I am unsure if they extend this to other guests in the same room as you or not.  No you are not quarantined since they are testing for symptoms, not issuing you a Covid test.  You would be sent on your merry way 

Thanks for that 

that is a bit of reassurance , we are both fit and well but if we do get denied we will just stay and have a land based holiday .😊

I find it hard to believe that if they deny you boarding that someone else wouldn't be alerted as to your condition.  Local public health agencies are on high alert and trying to contain outbreaks and would have a vested interest in monitoring you.  I haven't yet read any reports from anyone who has been denied boarding, so who really knows at this point?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lindypops said:

Thanks for that 

that is a bit of reassurance , we are both fit and well but if we do get denied we will just stay and have a land based holiday .😊

I would check your Ts&Cs cruise lines are different and ours says if you are denied boarding it is classed as a cancellation. 🤔

22 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

I would check your Ts&Cs cruise lines are different and ours says if you are denied boarding it is classed as a cancellation. 🤔

Pre-COVID-19, there were few reasons for being denied boarding, and they could generally be attributed to a failure on the part of the passenger. For example, failing to bring required documents, such as a passport, for a cruise where they are mandatory.

You don't name your cruise line, but is it applying these same terms and conditions to passengers who are running a fever when appearing for embarkation? If so, I think it is seriously out of step with the direction taken by the cruise industry.

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Pre-COVID-19, there were few reasons for being denied boarding, and they could generally be attributed to a failure on the part of the passenger. For example, failing to bring required documents, such as a passport, for a cruise where they are mandatory.

You don't name your cruise line, but is it applying these same terms and conditions to passengers who are running a fever when appearing for embarkation? If so, I think it is seriously out of step with the direction taken by the cruise industry.

The cruise line I am referring to is Marella they have always required, even prior to this virus, that passengers fill out a health declaration mainly to prevent noro and they state that any denial will be a cruise cancellation with no refund win win situation for them.😠

9 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

The cruise line I am referring to is Marella they have always required, even prior to this virus, that passengers fill out a health declaration mainly to prevent noro and they state that any denial will be a cruise cancellation with no refund win win situation for them.😠

As this extract from the TUI website indicates, changes are being made for circumstances related to COVID-19. Whether that applies/will apply to someone coming down with a fever and denied boarding remains to be seen.

I have visited a country with restrictions in place in the last 14 days – what are my options? 

You will be able to amend your holiday departing up to and including 31st October 2020 or cancel with a refund, as long as you can provide proof of travel.

4 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I don’t think so. Suspected virus carriers wandering aimlessly around Miami possibly infecting the world and his wife

3 hours ago, Lindypops said:

Thanks for that 

If you are denied boarding following a secondary check for Corona virus, the last thing you will be having is a land vacation. Unless you count 14 days in confinement as a vacation

15 minutes ago, bluwes said:

If you are denied boarding following a secondary check for Corona virus, the last thing you will be having is a land vacation. Unless you count 14 days in confinement as a vacation

Covid test results take 12 to 24 hours  

The secondary check is where they deny you boarding if you're exhibiting any symptoms that cannot be explained.  One example someone gave on one of the threads was that he was wearing a hat that had increased his forehead temperature.  After it was off for a bit, his temp reading was normal.  But if you're exhibiting flu-like symptoms, they're not going to entertain letting you on the ship at all.  It has nothing to do with testing you for the virus for a definitive answer.

That is also separate from whether or not someone other than the cruise line is going to take an active interest in people who are sick enough to be denied boarding.

5 hours ago, bluwes said:

I don’t think so. Suspected virus carriers wandering aimlessly around Miami possibly infecting the world and his wife

The reason for denial is not on the basis of Corona Virus specifically as the test take a minimum of 4 hours.   The screening is for anyone that has a fever If  above 100.4°F (38° C) or Low Oxygen levels.  The person and his/her travel companions will be referred to a secondary health screening and may be denied boarding.

Temperatures, of course, can be caused by anything from a common cold to you name it.   Those that are checking are not police or military and have no authority to hold  or detain you.   

Second point.... I would suspect that you are passing people on the street every day with elevated temperatures.

• Like 1

We received an e-mail from Celebrity last week about our cruise on April 1st

all passengers will be screened before boarding and if we have been to or transited through one of the countries on the Covid-19 list in the last 14 days before the cruise we will not be allowed to board

same if we have come into contact with a person(s) from one of the countries on the Covid-19 list in the 14 days before April 1st we will not be allowed to board

7 hours ago, bluwes said:

Deleted

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mek said:

And you don't think this will happen with tourists not taking a cruise? 

This entire thing is getting way past the point of ridiculous - if it was the next plague just about everyone who has contracted the virus would be dead and that is not the case - not even close. 

When will this stop and people will start acting rationally? 

Accept the fact that it is a new virus that-most people will get and survive  and a few will die from it -just like the flu.  Must we have a economic disaster? And don't tell me the cruise lines can survive this - how many jobs will be affected if they shut down?  All I hear on these boards is "I can't risk loosing my job if I'm quarantined," but it's OK to sit back in fear and be apart of the panic and cost people who work in travel related industries to lose theirs?  (And BTW, I do not have a travel related job.)

At what point will people finally realize what is going on?   And yes ,I'm really getting mad about all of this.

I’m sorry you getting mad.  I’m mad as well for the people that were in on cruise then affected senior homes when they got off.  Some have died.  There is a reason the state department issued the warning. 

Edited by Fartlek
  • Like 1

Just now, Fartlek said:

I’m sorry you getting mad.  I’m mad as well for the people that were in a cruise then affected senior homes when the got off.  Some have died.  The is a reason the state department issued the warning. 

Could have also happened with the flu. PEOPLE DIE BECAUSE OF THE FLU BUT THE WORLD DOESN'T SHUT DOWN Sorry, I wasn't able to delete my post quickly enough - I know it isn't what most people want to accept or hear.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mek said:

Could have also happened with the flu. PEOPLE DIE BECAUSE OF THE FLU BUT THE WORLD DOESN'T SHUT DOWN Sorry, I wasn't able to delete my post quickly enough - I know it isn't what most people want to accept or hear.

If this were akin to the ordinary flu, the State Department would not have issued a statement that says U.S. citizens should not travel by cruise ship.  The "no worse than the flu" and "this is a media creation" are talking points that have aged particularly badly in the last couple of days.

1 hour ago, Fartlek said:

Please educate yourself.  There is a huge difference between the flu And this virus.  No comparison.  

Really??? Before I make assumptions, please tell me just why you think that is.