Hawaii calls for 60 day cruise ship ban

I wonder what the NCL ship sailing there will do...

Hawaii Lt. Gov. Josh Green called Monday for a 60-day pause in cruise ship tours to Hawaii while the coronavirus epidemic spreads throughout the United States.

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/hawaii-updates-what-were-learning-about-coronavirus-today#stream/0

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Well, the POA doesn't cruise TO the islands, people fly in and it just cruises around them.....so, does that count?

Couldn't someone catch the virus on the plane to Hawaii and then spread it to the ship and land?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Couldn't someone catch the virus on the plane to Hawaii and then spread it to the ship and land?

Sure, but they survive on tourism.  They have planes full of people coming there non stop, that is why stopping the ships seems a little odd to me.  Are they going to stop all the flights from Asia too (since it has the highest outbreaks)?  

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 2

Seems ridiculous to ban cruises but not flights. I’m driving to my cruise out of NY instead of flying because a plane, where people are packed in like sardines, is the last place I’d want to be right now. At least on a ship it is possible to find quieter areas and avoid the crowds. If flights aren’t banned neither should cruises be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oteixeira said:

Sure, but they survive on tourism.  They have planes full of people coming there no stop, that is why stopping the ships seems a little odd to me.  Are they going to stop all the flights from Asia too (since it has the highest outbreaks)?  

I think it is odd as well, as the virus can be brought to the islands as easily by plane or ship.  Seems like a knee jerk reaction.  Especially since a lot of their tourists come from Japan who has 449 cases as of yesterday.

Here is another article explaining that the governor can’t ban ships- sorry about the title (I’ve asked mods to change It so it is more accurate.) 

"We don't have the authority to ban cruise ships. The Coast Guard is pretty strict about what they are looking at. As you know, they did ban any cruise ships that sailed in China and I'm certain that the CDC and the Coast Guard are talking all the time about increased restrictions on both cruise ships and air travel," Ige said.

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/what-hawaii-can-and-cant-do-it-copes-first-coronavirus-case#stream/0

I still find it Interesting that the conversation is on the table and if i had a hawaii cruise planned in the near future I would want to keep an eye on this.

hope this helps someone 

That BAN perhaps refers to Mainland cruise ships on a cruise to and from the islands and

"MAY" include the NCL JEWEL transit from Australia New Zealand and Tahiti to Alaska.

Holland America and Princess do have 14+ day cruises from the mainland to Hawaii with the

required PVSA stop at Ensenada MX - but even that is stretching the limits of the virus which

is reportedly inactive after 14 days quarantined - unless there is some self sustaining factor

causing it linger longer. The main problem would be the airline passengers bringing the

virus along on a 5-7 hour flight - now that is something not to be ignored !

About the Lieutenant Governor making the BAN call - frequently in state government the

Governor will assign tasks of Travel Transportation related and other issues to the Lt. Governor.

Also while the Governor may be out of state for state business the Lt. Governor is in charge

of immediate business in the state.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

That BAN perhaps refers to Mainland cruise ships on a cruise to and from the islands and

"MAY" include the NCL JEWEL transit from Australia New Zealand and Tahiti to Alaska.

Holland America and Princess do have 14+ day cruises from the mainland to Hawaii with the

required PVSA stop at Ensenada MX - but even that is stretching the limits of the virus which

is reportedly inactive after 14 days quarantined - unless there is some self sustaining factor

causing it linger longer. The main problem would be the airline passengers bringing the

virus along on a 5-7 hour flight - now that is something not to be ignored !

About the Lieutenant Governor making the BAN call - frequently in state government the

Governor will assign tasks of Travel Transportation related and other issues to the Lt. Governor.

Also while the Governor may be out of state for state business the Lt. Governor is in charge

of immediate business in the state.

The Jewel is currently on a 21-day cruise from Sydney - so by the time it gets to Papeete, the incubation  period would be long past.  So when the Jewel goes to Hawaii on the next cruise,  it will be on a "clean" ship, assuming no new crew comes on board in Papeete.

USCG has the authority to close ports, not the Governor or Lt Governor.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

The Jewel is currently on a 21-day cruise from Sydney - so by the time it gets to Papeete, the incubation  period would be long past.  So when the Jewel goes to Hawaii on the next cruise,  it will be on a "clean" ship, assuming no new crew comes on board in Papeete.

USCG has the authority to close ports, not the Governor or Lt Governor.

But, a bunch of new people are coming on board in Tahiti; we are supposed to be among them, although we are probably going to cancel--not so much from fear of catching the virus as from fear of not being allowed into various ports/or quarantined somewhere at sea.  

All  those extra people flying from all over, though mostly I suspect through LAX.--very possible for someone to have been exposed.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

9 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

But, a bunch of new people are coming on board in Tahiti; we are supposed to be among them, although we are probably going to cancel--not so much from fear of catching the virus as from fear of not being allowed into various ports/or quarantined somewhere at sea.  

All  those extra people flying from all over, though mostly I suspect through LAX.--very possible for someone to have been exposed.

You are correct that we (I'm on that next cruise) could bring it onboard.  But so can anyone flying into Hawaii - so banning cruise ships and not flights is inconsistent at the very least.  So far, the cases in Hawaii have reportedly come from residents who have traveled and returned home, not from visitors.  So I still plan to go and if I end up on a 2 week cruise to nowhere, there are worse things that can happen. 

Edited by julig22

9 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You are correct that we (I'm on that next cruise) could bring it onboard.  But so can anyone flying into Hawaii - so banning cruise ships and not flights is inconsistent at the very least.  So far, the cases in Hawaii have reportedly come from residents who have traveled and returned home, not from visitors.  So I still plan to go and if I end up on a 2 week cruise to nowhere, there are worse things that can happen. 

I totally agree--and can't help thinking that air travel should be even more likely to spread the virus than cruising.  Knowing how dependent Hawaii is on tourists (most of whom fly in) and on shipping for basic necessities for their population, halting air and ship traffic would be a difficult decision.  Probably unlikely.

Much simpler (for Hawaii), although not very effective, IMO, for cruise ships to be banned. 

We hate to miss this cruise; at this time it *looks* like the Tahitian ports and other nearby islands will be accepting cruises; not so sure about Hawaii, 10 days later, and worst of all would to be quarantined for days or weeks like some other ships.

11 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

Seems ridiculous to ban cruises but not flights. I’m driving to my cruise out of NY instead of flying because a plane, where people are packed in like sardines, is the last place I’d want to be right now. At least on a ship it is possible to find quieter areas and avoid the crowds. If flights aren’t banned neither should cruises be.

Thank you!  I've been saying this to everyone who asks me if I'm cancelling any of my trips.  I have the same odds to get it down the street at the grocery store as I do on vacation because mass transit is still happening.  In the 10 day incubation someone could jump on a plane from Seattle with 2 layovers to Boston and cross 20,000 people.  But no, the media thinks that cruising is the worst thing ever but being packed A to D in the NYC subway after 5% of them just got off a plane from Orlando is perfectly acceptable.

• Like 3